Hunter to Eventer! - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 39
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymarie57 View Post
This looks like a really helpful article I hope I can be able to pick it up on a shelf because I don't have this magazine. How do I get to the full video? Do I have to make an account? The clip gives me an teasing 42 seconds and I'm like I want more !
good Q I've only watched the intro just comb the mag over and over. If you can't find a copy, I will scan & can email the article. For me its helped a ton and really got me thinking better .... I have an ex-jumper friend that just hands them off before her husband burns them. So until her subscription runs out they're mine
ottbrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 28 Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 138
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottbrider View Post
good Q I've only watched the intro just comb the mag over and over. If you can't find a copy, I will scan & can email the article. For me its helped a ton and really got me thinking better .... I have an ex-jumper friend that just hands them off before her husband burns them. So until her subscription runs out they're mine
You are so nice thankyou! I'll look for it in tractor supply today but if I can't find it I'll get back to you. I think it'd be good for me because I haven't had an opportunity to try cross country yet (due to relentless rain) but when I do I want to feel like I have a good understanding of how to vary my position rather than just galloping and flailing around for the ride. That's awesome you get those handed off to you ?! One man's trash is another man's treasure! Mwahaha
amymarie57 is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bunbury, Western Australia
Posts: 323
• Horses: 1
Welcome to the dark side!!!!!! It's much more fun over here!!

I got taught to stay in 2 point until 5 stride out of the jump then sit light seat in 3 point, then land in 2 point and continue!

The most impotant parts are a) trust b) heels down c) adapting to the situation.
Sometimes with different jumps your horse will jump it differently. Obviously with drop down or jump up. I got taught to stand upright for a jump up and let the horse come to you and a drop down to lean back. In some case I would just let the reins slide through my hands and gather them after the drop. I know but that's just my style. I trust ozzie so I know that I can control him no matter what the length of my reins. (thanks to the campdrafter that taught me the one rein stop)
I don't think there's anything wrong with using what you learnt from hunters to mix it up with your position to find a sweet spot that works for you. (i think I know what hunters is)
There's no right or wrong, it's what works for you and your horse.

Off subject a little. I went and watched my friend ride her first event on her new horse, there was a man riding c grade (85cms) and he was between 70-80 years old. He was riding with very long stirrups. He approached the tent where the jump judges sit, the horse reared and carried on, he sat there like it didn't happen, then went around doing the nicest round i've seen, got a little lost, but got clear. He was an old stock riding that decided to go have some fun eventing...it was his first event :) he was the only person that would ever pass gear check in jeans!!! LOL

Anyways, good luck have fun!

Also, use your imagination on creating jumps to practice over to simulate cross country jumps!

:::THIRD TIME A CHARM:::
Elly ::: Diam ::: Ozzie
~~~Introducing Barney~~~
corporate pride is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 138
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporate pride View Post
Welcome to the dark side!!!!!! It's much more fun over here!!

I got taught to stay in 2 point until 5 stride out of the jump then sit light seat in 3 point, then land in 2 point and continue!

The most impotant parts are a) trust b) heels down c) adapting to the situation.
Sometimes with different jumps your horse will jump it differently. Obviously with drop down or jump up. I got taught to stand upright for a jump up and let the horse come to you and a drop down to lean back. In some case I would just let the reins slide through my hands and gather them after the drop. I know but that's just my style. I trust ozzie so I know that I can control him no matter what the length of my reins. (thanks to the campdrafter that taught me the one rein stop)
I don't think there's anything wrong with using what you learnt from hunters to mix it up with your position to find a sweet spot that works for you. (i think I know what hunters is)
There's no right or wrong, it's what works for you and your horse.

Off subject a little. I went and watched my friend ride her first event on her new horse, there was a man riding c grade (85cms) and he was between 70-80 years old. He was riding with very long stirrups. He approached the tent where the jump judges sit, the horse reared and carried on, he sat there like it didn't happen, then went around doing the nicest round i've seen, got a little lost, but got clear. He was an old stock riding that decided to go have some fun eventing...it was his first event :) he was the only person that would ever pass gear check in jeans!!! LOL

Anyways, good luck have fun!

Also, use your imagination on creating jumps to practice over to simulate cross country jumps!
Thankyou for the advice, I'll definitely need to trust my boy when it comes to cross country because those jumps can look very intimidating even the little ones. I hope he can learn to trust me too because I'm starting to work him 4 days a week on a lease. I'm really looking forward to the bond we'll share. And that old man eventing story was great! I would've loved to see that, and it'd be even better if he beat everyone
amymarie57 is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 06-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bunbury, Western Australia
Posts: 323
• Horses: 1
not sure what happened, can't remember him number and will have to try find a picture LOL it was pretty funny, when he walked the course the marshell had to ddrag him out of the ring because he was over thinking it LOL

Good luck! Don't JUST concerntrate on cross country or jumping. Do more dressage/flatwork, the more your horse is supple the better the rest will be. I ride 5 days a week, I do 3 of flat work (one a lesson) 2 of jumping out in the paddock and then I let him have a bit of a hoon and practice 2 point and just getting use to his movement and the feeling of cruising in control. I've only had my new horse for 6 weeks, took him to our first event together about 4 weeks ago. Definitely helped the trust thing, we just have a trust that happened straight away. We click :) so the thing that scared me was the "what will he be like?? Will he be naughty?" questions so when he was behaved, i'm less nervous from now on!

Have fun because in the end, that's what it's all about.....and the camping!!!!!!!

Oh this is ozzie :) my ex eventer

864517531_VKLuz-M.jpg

And this is barney my new horse

16042011184.jpg

:::THIRD TIME A CHARM:::
Elly ::: Diam ::: Ozzie
~~~Introducing Barney~~~
corporate pride is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 102
• Horses: 0
You wouldn't be pentalized for sitting a canter in Hunter, its more common to do a half seat but people do sit. I mainly ride from my seat and that half seat thing is just weird for me. To me its hard to do half seat on a horse that's not trained for hunter. For what I know a hunter is ridden from the legs and a dressage/ eventer is ridden from the seat. So its hard to contol a eventer/dressage horse with just your legs when your not engaging your seat at all. For cross country I do 2 point though and sit a few strides before the jump.
EventingDeva is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,220
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hflmusicislife View Post
You had asked earlier (I think... I might've been hallucinating...) if you'd lose points riding in more of an eventing seat in the hunter ring. I've ridden hunters for the last 5 years or so, but find it dreadfully boring so I'm now training with an eventing trainer, who's focused a lot more on the dressage and carrying that into jumping. I'm finding that even though my horse has progressed a ton since last season, when we do hunters we're not pinning as well just because I'm riding more in full seat than 3 point.
I definitely agree with you though, eventing seems so much more fun
In a hunter round nothing is judged on a rider's position, it is purely the horse's round.

Remember that even though hunters, jumpers, and eventing all have jumps, they are 3 different disciplines and require different positions and different styles of riding. None are wrong, but it is important to know how to ride each discipline and why. Like Maura, my background (and heart) are in the hunter ring, the forward seat is my general "go-to" seat. But I also compete quite a bit in the jumper ring and do most of that in more of a full seat. Most of the jumpers I ride go and ride very differently then my hunters and thus require that. Good for you for trying something new and trying to understand the whys!
upnover is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnover View Post
In a hunter round nothing is judged on a rider's position, it is purely the horse's round.

Remember that even though hunters, jumpers, and eventing all have jumps, they are 3 different disciplines and require different positions and different styles of riding. None are wrong, but it is important to know how to ride each discipline and why. Like Maura, my background (and heart) are in the hunter ring, the forward seat is my general "go-to" seat. But I also compete quite a bit in the jumper ring and do most of that in more of a full seat. Most of the jumpers I ride go and ride very differently then my hunters and thus require that. Good for you for trying something new and trying to understand the whys!
Great post and thank you for sharing!

MIEventer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baby Green vs. Welcome Hunter vs. Warm Up Hunter... ack alexischristina Jumping 4 12-23-2010 03:31 PM
Looking For Eventer in CO! hrsrdr Horses for Sale 2 07-21-2010 01:30 AM
Fancy moving gelding, project. hunter? jumper? eventer? ohsareee Horses for Sale 3 01-10-2010 02:41 PM
For Sale - Arabian Paint Mare - 7 Years Old - Hunter Jumper - Eventer Prospect AQHA_MHonora_Pleasure Horses for Sale 0 10-16-2009 10:19 PM
Which sport is best for me - hunter, jumper, eventer?? Hoofprints in the Sand Jumping 6 12-26-2008 02:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome