A new view of XC course at the WEG - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 10-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mliponoga View Post
That's what I don't get though, so the horse can jump 4'3" and run for 15 mins straight. That's all good by me, but why drop 6'? It just seems unnecessary does it not?
It also shows how fearless a horse can be. They have to trust their rider, as a calvary mount would, and trust that the rider will never put them in unnecessary danger. And riding drops is just plain fun :)

Jumping a horse = Getting wings!
Why live on the edge when you can jump off?- Greenwood Horse Trials Tee-Shirt
StormyBlues is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 40 Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post

That helmet cam must have some amazing image stabilizing functions associated with it. No bounce to that video at all.

.
I'd put some of that to the fact that this rider has a really nice, stable position too. REally, when you look at a rider, the upper body shouldn't be moving much because the lower body is absorbing the shock of the gallop (because you're up in galloping position)

Jumping a horse = Getting wings!
Why live on the edge when you can jump off?- Greenwood Horse Trials Tee-Shirt
StormyBlues is offline  
post #33 of 40 Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mliponoga View Post
That is borderline abuse to me, sorry English people. Making a horse run at speed, jumps over and over again that if they miss can seriously damage them, whipping them to go faster, what's the point?
Well, I find a lot of western events abusive, but I don't go around saying it on bords. I try to understand it more before making harsh judgments.

Jumping a horse = Getting wings!
Why live on the edge when you can jump off?- Greenwood Horse Trials Tee-Shirt
StormyBlues is offline  
post #34 of 40 Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mliponoga View Post
That is borderline abuse to me, sorry English people. Making a horse run at speed, jumps over and over again that if they miss can seriously damage them, whipping them to go faster, what's the point?
If you watched eventers (and same stands for dressage and jumping), many horses LOVE what they do. And they are very well cared for and most riders don't push them beyond the abilities (although there are always exceptions, but it's as true for western people too).
kitten_Val is offline  
post #35 of 40 Old 10-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
That helmet cam must have some amazing image stabilizing functions associated with it. No bounce to that video at all.
That's what I found to be amazing too. I guess the rider is just so balanced and smooth in his movements, that it keeps it very stable down there on helmet. Otherwise I just can't imagine any stabilizer to keep it from bouncing.
kitten_Val is offline  
post #36 of 40 Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues View Post
I'd put some of that to the fact that this rider has a really nice, stable position too. REally, when you look at a rider, the upper body shouldn't be moving much because the lower body is absorbing the shock of the gallop (because you're up in galloping position)
I do not disagree, this rider I am sure has a wonderful position.



In some places during the video you can see his shadow. You can see his upper body moving. That is not represented in the video. So, though I agree the rider has a good position, this camera set up must have some sort of system to accommodate the bounce and movement of riding and still provide a smooth video. Notice it was not even jumpy when he dismounted.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #37 of 40 Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 269
• Horses: 1
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues View Post
No. 600. Meters. Per. Minute. It's how every xc is mesured. Bn goes at 350, novice at 375-400, training at 400-450, prelim at 400-475, most intermidates run at 550 and advanced/four star usually runs 575-600 meters per minute. That's how you get your minute markers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha! Way to set 'em straight!! :P
Yes guys, she is right about 600 mpm.
MoodIndigo is offline  
post #38 of 40 Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
Haha, I love my minute markers :) some people hate them (my friend who runs intermediate.... He's odd lol) but some love them, like my team and me :) we write them on our arms in sharpie so we an see em as we ride, it looks like unreadable scribbles to everyone but us lol!
Posted via Mobile Device
StormyBlues is offline  
post #39 of 40 Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,268
• Horses: 2
^ I do the same Stormy! Minute markers are my life savers. I love love love them and always write them down the side of my arm, along with my OT and SFT.

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then, always be a unicorn."
Strange is offline  
post #40 of 40 Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,157
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mliponoga View Post
That is borderline abuse to me, sorry English people. Making a horse run at speed, jumps over and over again that if they miss can seriously damage them, whipping them to go faster, what's the point?
Sorry, but at least in my horse's case you are horribly misinformed. I have trouble keeping my down to the pace I'm supposed to be galloping because my horse loves to run through the woods and open fields and hurling himself over solid obstacles. He gets all proud of himself and blows out a happy snort after each fence. He has a an absolute ball. I was at the XC phase at WEG and don't recall seeing a single whip raised the entire day. Please don't lump us all in with the few that may push their horses a bit.

You just have to see your distance...you don't have to like it.
MyBoyPuck is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parelli. A different view Clair Natural Horsemanship 27 09-11-2010 05:24 PM
The view from above... desperate horsewife Horse Training 15 11-25-2007 07:51 PM
Your Point of View, Please. Sw898989 Horse Training 2 08-11-2007 06:17 PM
have a view at farmersbase farmersbase Meet the Community 0 04-03-2007 09:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome