4. PACE AND DISMOUNTING. Between the start and finish, competitors are free to
Choose their own pace. They must be mounted to pass all red and white boundary flags. Dismounting as a result of attempting an obstacle, whether voluntary or not, is penalized in accordance with EV141.1.b. Elsewhere on the course, competitors may dismount without incurring a fault, other than possible penalties for exceeding the optimum time.
Pg.44 (at obstacle)
EV141 cross-country scoring.
1. FAULTS AT OBSTACLES:
A. Disobediences -
(1) First refusal, run-out or circle 20 penalties
(2) Second refusal, run-out or circle at the same obstacle 40 penalties
(3) Third refusal, run-out or circle at the same obstacle Elimination
(4) Fourth penalized disobedience on the entire course Elimination
B. Falls -
(1) First fall of competitor Elimination
(2) First fall of horse Mandatory retirement
C. Willful Delay - (Beginner Novice, Novice and Training Levels)
(1) Between the last fence and the finish line 20 penalties
ETA link: http://useventing.com/resources/file...k_2011_web.pdf