So I just recently got hooked on eventing and did my first event last November. I entered beginner novice and got eliminated in dressage (on the second move
) because my horse stepped out of the arena (I'm fully convinced he thought it was a raised caveletti, but that's besides the point). The judge allowed us to do XC and stadium and he was awesome in both. We had a little trouble at the water on XC , but other than that he was great. I didn't have to beat him into the water or anything, he just stopped and looked at it for a second before going in. We have not gone XC schooling since the show (mid November), but I have continued to ride him 4-6 days a week both flat and jumping and take weekly lessons. We are currently schooling about 2'6-2'9, although I didn't have a lesson (or jump, but I did ride) this past week because the rain has been terrible.
There is an event this next weekend coming up that one of the women I ride with entered her horse in. The other day she asked me if I wanted to come to "volunteer" at the event and earn some credit towards schooling and showing. I decided that I would go and bring my horse along too to school XC after the show is over and give him some more experience at a 3 day without actually competing.
As it turns out, my friends horse came out of his stall lame with excessive heat in his left front hoof two days ago. She thinks its an abscess, but the farrier came out today and didn't think it was an abscess (I'm assuming she will call the vet out next if things get worse). She talked to the secretary of the show and she won't be able to get a refund if he is still lame and she can't compete. Then I was offered to have her spot at the show (its a $25 fee I believe to change an entry). So now comes my question (sorry for the long background story!) -- what would you guys do? I really want to compete, but I also want to be fair to my horse. I'm not worried at all about stadium or dressage. I'm not even worried about XC really, but I just want to not put my horse in a bad situation, if that makes any sense. Oh! And if I did compete I would do it at intro level, where the max height is only 2ft.
When all is said and done, I REALLY hope her horse is not lame and is going to be able to compete. But I also have to keep in mind that I might be competing next weekend. What would you guys do? Would you jump at the opportunity or decide to pass?