Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
While you are trying to take care of animals that don't belong to you, giving them toxic medications is not in the best interest of the cats nor yourself as you are not the owner No matter what we tell you, you say you have done it before and will keep giving it because they haven't died. Any type of acetophenimin can be a toxic dose to a cat or dog, while it might not kill them immediately, it can effect their liver and do damage down the road
You say the owner doesn't care about the cats, but the fact is, the owner has all the say about his/her animals, not you. If I found out someone was medicating my animals without my permission,especially with human medication, ,closing them in a tack room, etc there would be problems.
I work for a vet and have for many many years, we see lots of pets come into the clinic being poisoned by their owners because they medicated the pet themselves. Many have died.
I know from your previous posts that you will argue with me and all others who say you do anything wrong, but I think you need to realize you are NOT a vet and therefore have no right to treat an animal that does not belong to you regardless of whether you are trying to save,cure or help it. Actually, it is against the LAW to treat another persons animals with or without their permission without a veterinarians license. I hope you don't end up killing a cat because you feel the need to treat it yourself. I know you were trying to do the cat good, but since it doesn't belong to you, you really have no right, and especially if you don't even know the medication you give the animal is toxic to it.I realize you think all us adults are wrong, but in this instance you are actually breaking the law. Oh wait, that's right, you don't care about laws anyway, since you break the law in Washington every time you take your horse on a public road without a brand inspection. Silly me.
Wow. You seem to think you know me, but you have no idea. O_O I do have permission to mess with the cats. In fact, I take care of them every day and have done so their whole lives. I feed them, I put on the flea treatment, I let her know when something is wrong. She knows they get Tylenol when they hurt, she knows I put them in the tack room when they hurt. They kind of are my cats, she just pays for them. She cares about them, she's just an idiot. That being said, she has taken Dora to the vet. Dora and the carrier were gone when I went out to ride. I haven't talked to her, but I assume that's where she took her.
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt View Post
This. Please read and understand... Tylenol (and most human medications) are not designed for other animals' bodies. If one pill of Tylenol can take away an average sized man's aches and pains, and they weigh (on average, say) 150 lbs, as it's a nice round number you would have to use 1/30th of a pill, IF THAT, on a 5 lb cat to equal one dose IF pill:weight ratios were equal - and they are not.
A person can overdose on Acetophenimin fairly easily. Again, same logic as above; if you're giving a cat one pill of Tylenol, you're overdosing (based on ratios, NOT actual data) by 30 times. If you're giving a half pill, that's (again, ratios, not exact science) a 15 time overdose.
Some people can survive an overdose of drugs... some people can overdose many times and still be alive - but their bodies are not okay.
Then you factor in things such as that their kidneys and livers (heck, all the organs) are designed to handle substances differently than ours, and you soon realize the problem with medicating an animal like a human.
I hope my explanation makes sense.
I do understand that, and it does make sense. But I don't give them a pill. Or 1/2 a pill or even 1/27 a pill. I give them a tiny bit of liquid stuff that comes in a dropper. They get 1/2 a mL. The dosage on the bottle says 1mL for a 12 - 15lb infant. So they are not being overdosing. If anything, they are under-dosing because I don't give them much.
If she is putting weight back on the foot, you should take her back to the barn. Either that or contact the barn owner and ask if you can keep her. Then of course you can do whatever you want with her.
I keep barn cats that number from a few to a dozen. Some tame some feral. I worm them and put flea stuff on the ones I can catch. If one is injured I figure its one less I have to feed. Maybe the owner of this cat feels the same way and will gladly give her to you.
My husband has "relocated" them on the rare occasion one gets a taste for chickens. Many farm folks keep cats for one purpose only, to keep mice and rats out of the barn. I don't get attached to mine and rarely name them beyond "the black one"
I'm sure this cat will be fine. I've had them come in swollen and bloody and they survive...or they die. Its life on the farm. I'm sure your barn owner can't afford to take every injured cat to the vet either. If you can't afford to either, I suggest you take it back to the barn. Sorry
Our barn cats aren't the typical "barn cats." They are loved and spoiled rotten pets that just happen to live in the barn, lol. Dora IS at the barn, I never took her anywhere. My cat would be pissed, lol. And I also know she wouldn't take just any injured cat in, but we only have our cats. And I do believe if you are going to keep a pet [because these are pets] you should take it to a vet when it needs to see one. The same reason people take their horses and dogs. She bought a trap, and I catch and neuter/spay the ferals [it's free at N.O.A.H.] and release them. They never come back after that because the barn turns into the evil chop-shop, lol.
The article Always posted said it causes problems SOON. Actually, it said 4 to 12 hours. And it's never caused any problems. Ever. In two and a half years. If there was going to be any gradual deterioration of some organ, it would have happened to one cat in particular because she's the one that gets in fights.
The way I understand it, it causes problems when it's too much. Anything in high volumes can cause problems. But they aren't getting that much. They are not overdosing. If it's too much, their bodies can't process it, but when it's NOT too much, then can handle it. Make sense?
It makes me think of beet pulp. They say you can't feed it dry. There are scientific studies and articles written by vets stating the problems it can cause when fed dry. But there are people on this forum who DO feed it dry, and have fed it dry for years without a problem.
Now please, I am tired of being talked to like a child. I am not a child. I have never argued on this forum. I have never reacted in any way that would suggest I'm an immature child who thinks "all adults are wrong" and I don't "get mad when anyone tells me I'm wrong." I am an adult, who processes information and makes a decision based on facts provided and my own experiences, as well as experiences of people close to me. I respect almost everyone on this forum, and I will continue to respect them and treat them as I would every other person I come across. I realize that I do not know any of you, and I try not to make assumptions. Obviously, some members do not view the forum members the same way. You know what they say about assuming things, right?