Goat question - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
I have 2 boers and a Nubian, 2 wethers and a buck, theyre great for pasture/woods management. Lol i know ive already posted but i have to share their last pics..

My Boer wether, Pow is about 90 pounds+.



This was teken about a month ago.

My Bucky, Riot is supposed to get over 250 pounds, but i can still carry him around like a baby...



Aint he the cutest!? His ear tag came out thats why theres a hole in his ear.
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 34 Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 179
• Horses: 2
You don't have to if you don't want to. Just don't breed her. If you do want to though you only have to milk once a day. If you aren't set on a dairy goat why don't you go with a boer? That is what I would do anyhow..

Proverbs 12:10, A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast...
Brumby is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,378
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyPhillip View Post
I have goats, and my dogs attack them but about 4 hours of being together the stop.

Milk goats NEED to be milked if theyre have been or are pregnant. Not dail if its past but just to help them get it out. Ive seen does with terrible udders that drag to the ground cuz of negligent people.

Anyways, get a wether. They are casterated male goats who DO NOT SMELL ! ee! i have 2 and theyre great.
Am I reading that right - you allowed your dogs to attack the goats for four hours?? Surely I am misreading that.
themacpack is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
Surely you are. They chase them outside the fence, Only Marcus and Misha are a loud to visit the goats because they are calmest. Actually, the dog who "attacked" them (Marcus) likes to lick Pow.
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,620
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyPhillip View Post
I have goats, and my dogs attack them but about 4 hours of being together the stop.

Milk goats NEED to be milked if theyre have been or are pregnant. Not dail if its past but just to help them get it out. Ive seen does with terrible udders that drag to the ground cuz of negligent people.

Anyways, get a wether. They are casterated male goats who DO NOT SMELL ! ee! i have 2 and theyre great.
OK, thanks everyone What an informative group! A wether sounds like the way to go but what is this smell thing? Do the females smell bad?
I have a little over 1 acre fenced in with no climb horse fence all the way around the house. Thats where I plan on putting it. It will have to share the space with the dogs. Do you think I would be better off with a baby and letting them get used to it, or an adult that can defend itself. All of my dogs have been around puppies a ton so they are used to babies.


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #16 of 34 Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco View Post
OK, thanks everyone What an informative group! A wether sounds like the way to go but what is this smell thing? Do the females smell bad?
I have a little over 1 acre fenced in with no climb horse fence all the way around the house. Thats where I plan on putting it. It will have to share the space with the dogs. Do you think I would be better off with a baby and letting them get used to it, or an adult that can defend itself. All of my dogs have been around puppies a ton so they are used to babies.
Uncastrated males that are 5 months+ REEK. Especially in whats called rut. Rut if from August to February i think, and its the main breeding season for goats. I have a buck, hes 5 mo and already smells . Females do not smell...

Get a baby. And "adult who can defend itself" could do some harm to your dogs or if they tick the dogs off enough, the dogs will harm it.

Goats with horns do damage, i mean, Marcus got butted in the head by Pow and was bleeding.

I suggest you get a goat that is polled (born hornless) or disbudded (dehorned by humans as a very very young kid.). I would not ever suggest dehorning an adult goat, it is a very long, bloody process.

I say this because Pow almost gave me stitches in my lip. He was fighting me for food and i was trying to poor the buck in the feed trough and he got his horn hooked under my upper lip and threw his head back, almost ripping it. It was punttucred on the inside and it hurt really bad.

Not trying to scare you though .

If theres food inside the fence they wont care. I have wielded wire and my goats have never gotten out that way.. but they are escape artists. Get a bond with them, my wethers AND buck come when i call their names, its great :):).



Anny
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
post #17 of 34 Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brazoria County, TX
Posts: 2,983
• Horses: 2
doodle berries. hahahahaha!

When In Doubt Let Your Horse Do The Thinkin
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookychick13
What Lone said.
Lonestar22 is offline  
post #18 of 34 Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,166
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco View Post
OK, thanks everyone What an informative group! A wether sounds like the way to go but what is this smell thing? Do the females smell bad?
I have a little over 1 acre fenced in with no climb horse fence all the way around the house. Thats where I plan on putting it. It will have to share the space with the dogs. Do you think I would be better off with a baby and letting them get used to it, or an adult that can defend itself. All of my dogs have been around puppies a ton so they are used to babies.
As stated, it is only the Billys that smell. When I had mine, I didn't notice it though because he had lots of room and was away from the house. They lived outside 24/7; never stalled. Didn't even have a shelter other than trees and a tractor tire. They can become amazingly tiny when they curl up!

I don't know about "no climb horse fence". Do you have a pic? Goats can climb dang near anything.

A baby is easier to bond with, but don't go too young. You'll never keep it behind a fence if it decides you are it's mama rather than it's friend. I once took in 2 2yrold goats that had never been handled. They quite literally ran up the walls and across the ceiling of their stall to evade capture! But, within a couple of days they were eating from my hand and in 2 weeks I had halters on them and could lead them around.

Personally, I like horns on the billys and wethers because they are great handles when the goat gets too playful, but ilovemyphilip is right that you need to be aware of them at all times. You can put a 100 lb billy on the ground with his horns if you need to.

Good luck!

Last edited by NorthernMama; 08-19-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling
NorthernMama is offline  
post #19 of 34 Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,807
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMama View Post
As stated, it is only the Billys that smell. When I had mine, I didn't notice it though because he had lots of room and was away from the house. They lived outside 24/7; never stalled. Didn't even have a shelter other than trees and a tractor tire. They can become amazingly tiny when they curl up!

I don't know about "no climb horse fence". Do you have a pic? Goats can climb dang near anything.

A baby is easier to bond with, but don't go too young. You'll never keep it behind a fence if it decides you are it's mama rather than it's friend. I once took in 2 2yrold goats that had never been handled. They quite literally ran up the walls and across the ceiling of their stall to evade capture! But, within a couple of days they were eating from my hand and in 2 weeks I had halters on them and could lead them around.

Personally, I like horns on the billys and wethers because they are great handles when the goat gets too playful, but ilovemyphilip is right that you need to be aware of them at all times. You can put a 100 lb billy on the ground with his horns if you need to.

Good luck!
Actually you can get a "billy" (in the boer world they are called bucks and does) with his beard, horns are scary... Im gunna start disbudding kids.. lol

Anny
ilovemyPhillip is offline  
post #20 of 34 Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,166
• Horses: 5
Interesting, I never thought of trying to grab a billy by his beard. I'll try to remember that.

Sorry, but I have to stick with billy and nanny because here if you say buck or doe you are talking about deer and deer only! Major hunting territory here! I'd totally confuse the neighbours otherwise.
NorthernMama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Goat and the Kitten PassionHorse Other Pets 5 08-07-2009 03:30 PM
Riot - Boer goat! ilovemyPhillip Farm Animals 4 07-20-2009 08:40 PM
How to carry a goat while biking Whipple General Off Topic Discussion 9 06-21-2009 08:24 PM
Riding a goat girl_on_black_pony Horse Videos 18 08-07-2008 08:18 AM
goat kids for sale nybarrelracer Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 04-18-2008 08:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome