Officialish Chicken Photo Thread! - Page 56
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Farm Forum > Farm Animals

Officialish Chicken Photo Thread!

This is a discussion on Officialish Chicken Photo Thread! within the Farm Animals forums, part of the Farm Forum category

    Like Tree897Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-27-2013, 12:23 AM
      #551
    Started
    Here's a picture of an odd little egg I found in the nest box. The two on the left (the one furthest left is from one of my Americaunas) are normal size eggs and the one on the right as tiny as they come. I suspect one of the hens is just getting back into a lay cycle so is working up to the full size deal.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_0538.JPG (92.8 KB, 29 views)
    texasgal and FlyGap like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-27-2013, 01:37 AM
      #552
    Green Broke
    Well I wasn't expecting this...

    My friend conned me into visiting the feed store and they had Guineas (which is insane because around here Guineas sell out weeks before they arrive) so we bought all of them. 3 for me and 4 for her and then I saw this poor chickie smooshed into their brooder. It was at least 4-6 weeks old and so big it couldn't stand up straight or really move around in the tray brooder. It was missing several feathers and the other chicks were attacking it.

    So being the sucker I am, I bought the chick since I have 3 chicks in my baby coop right now the same size. I snuck her in at night and she was fine for 2 days/nights and then yesterday morning the girls came in crying with her, she's missing a silver dollar sized patch of skin and probably 10% of her feathers. Poor thing was so exhausted that I wrapped her in a towel and she took a several hour nap snuggled up to me.

    She's healing just fine BUT she is now a people chicken! Escapes from any pen I have stuck her in and then runs around until she finds me or the girls and cries to be picked up. Lil kiddo woke up multiple times last night because a crying chicken was standing by her bed wanting to be picked up.

    I don't know what to do with her now.... she's too small to go in with my big chickens, too big to go in with my baby guineas and the chickens her size obviously want her dead. Poor girl...
    FlyGap likes this.
         
        05-27-2013, 08:11 AM
      #553
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfina    
    Well I wasn't expecting this...

    My friend conned me into visiting the feed store and they had Guineas (which is insane because around here Guineas sell out weeks before they arrive) so we bought all of them. 3 for me and 4 for her and then I saw this poor chickie smooshed into their brooder. It was at least 4-6 weeks old and so big it couldn't stand up straight or really move around in the tray brooder. It was missing several feathers and the other chicks were attacking it.

    So being the sucker I am, I bought the chick since I have 3 chicks in my baby coop right now the same size. I snuck her in at night and she was fine for 2 days/nights and then yesterday morning the girls came in crying with her, she's missing a silver dollar sized patch of skin and probably 10% of her feathers. Poor thing was so exhausted that I wrapped her in a towel and she took a several hour nap snuggled up to me.

    She's healing just fine BUT she is now a people chicken! Escapes from any pen I have stuck her in and then runs around until she finds me or the girls and cries to be picked up. Lil kiddo woke up multiple times last night because a crying chicken was standing by her bed wanting to be picked up.

    I don't know what to do with her now.... she's too small to go in with my big chickens, too big to go in with my baby guineas and the chickens her size obviously want her dead. Poor girl...
    You might try her with the guineas, they're a lot less "herd" bound than the chickens. My guineas will always accept new flock members, not so much for the chickens. Or you can put a chicken diaper on her and teach her how to use a litter pan.........
         
        05-27-2013, 08:18 AM
      #554
    Green Broke
    My 3 Cornish are more like pet dogs than chickens. They go in a rabbit hutch at night and are loose in my fenced backyard all day. Any time I go outside, they come running to be picked up or petted. If I sit on the back steps, they will climb the steps and sit with me, or peck at my shoes until I pet them. Some chickens are just more people-oriented than others, and you are the the only "flock" that accepted her.
         
        05-28-2013, 09:25 AM
      #555
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chevaux    
    Here's a picture of an odd little egg I found in the nest box. The two on the left (the one furthest left is from one of my Americaunas) are normal size eggs and the one on the right as tiny as they come. I suspect one of the hens is just getting back into a lay cycle so is working up to the full size deal.
    I love the "fart eggs" ..... They happen from time to time.. I keep them! Lol.
    FlyGap likes this.
         
        05-28-2013, 09:38 AM
      #556
    Weanling
    I have a little "chicken" story. Our neighbor will bring us chickens once in a while, all clean and ready to be cooked. Well, my husband always feels bad that he didn't help out so always tells him next time he will help but that never works out because he is so busy. So, the last time he told him just send me the roosters and I'll take care of them over the weekend. Sounds like a good plan right? Well, that was about 3 months ago. I now have two pet roosters who live in one of my horse stalls and follow me around when I let them out. If I'm cleaning stalls they come in the stall I'm cleaning to scratch around and keep me company.

    1 Rooster + 1 Rooster = 0 Eggs
         
        05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
      #557
    Green Broke
    I was in the backyard hanging out with my three Cornish, and they were very interested in my phone. So I give you....CHICKEN PHOTOBOMBING!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_1952.jpg (26.8 KB, 24 views)
    File Type: jpg IMG_1953.jpg (30.2 KB, 23 views)
    File Type: jpg IMG_1954.jpg (68.4 KB, 23 views)
    texasgal, egrogan and FlyGap like this.
         
        05-28-2013, 09:54 AM
      #558
    Weanling
    Ha! Talk about angry bird!
         
        05-28-2013, 11:34 AM
      #559
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Delfina    
    Well I wasn't expecting this...

    My friend conned me into visiting the feed store and they had Guineas (which is insane because around here Guineas sell out weeks before they arrive) so we bought all of them. 3 for me and 4 for her and then I saw this poor chickie smooshed into their brooder. It was at least 4-6 weeks old and so big it couldn't stand up straight or really move around in the tray brooder. It was missing several feathers and the other chicks were attacking it.

    So being the sucker I am, I bought the chick since I have 3 chicks in my baby coop right now the same size. I snuck her in at night and she was fine for 2 days/nights and then yesterday morning the girls came in crying with her, she's missing a silver dollar sized patch of skin and probably 10% of her feathers. Poor thing was so exhausted that I wrapped her in a towel and she took a several hour nap snuggled up to me.

    She's healing just fine BUT she is now a people chicken! Escapes from any pen I have stuck her in and then runs around until she finds me or the girls and cries to be picked up. Lil kiddo woke up multiple times last night because a crying chicken was standing by her bed wanting to be picked up.

    I don't know what to do with her now.... she's too small to go in with my big chickens, too big to go in with my baby guineas and the chickens her size obviously want her dead. Poor girl...
    Awww...poor thing. I will be interested to hear the updates on her and what you decide about finding her a flock that will take her in.

    I got 2 golden comet chicks on Friday. They came just 5 days after the Wyandottes I got the previous week, so I didn't think it would be a big deal to put them together. Well, the comets are soooo tiny, probably just a couple of days old, while the Wyandottes must have been on the older side when they came in to the feed store, probably 10-12 days. It's amazing how much a few days difference is at this age.

    The Wyandottes didn't give the comets any problems, they've taken them in, but the comets just look so small next to them, and really have to muscle their way in to the food and water. I'm somewhat concerned about one of the comets, as she seems to be spending a lot of time off on her own. I think it's because she's so small, she really needs the heat lamp, while the others have started moving away from it. It was also cute/heartbreaking to watch her with the bigger chicks, she definitely thought they were mama and kept trying to nestle in under their legs and take a nap- which thoroughly confused them.

    No one is pecking/attacking, but I'm just worried the poor little thing has had to fight so hard for food, water, and warmth, she's exhausted. I don't want to take her out and keep her on her own, as I think that will cause more problems down the line, but I'm really pulling hard for her to make it through the next few days and be big enough that things are easier for her.
         
        05-28-2013, 11:55 AM
      #560
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texasgal    
    I love the "fart eggs" ..... They happen from time to time.. I keep them! Lol.
    I have had them before and mine usually sit in the fridge for months. I did break one open one time - it didn't have a yoke (my thought on this was the perfect egg for those on a diet who can only eat the white).
    Celeste and FlyGap like this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    ChingazMyBoy's Photo Thread ChingazMyBoy Horse Pictures 120 04-07-2012 07:42 AM
    Angel Photo Thread Pinto Pony Horse Pictures 13 02-07-2011 08:50 PM
    Thumper's Photo Thread :) anrz Horse Pictures 19 09-01-2009 05:09 PM
    Kai Photo Thread! Pinto Pony Horse Pictures 108 08-30-2009 08:11 AM
    xxJustJumpItxx photo thread :) xxJustJumpItxx Horse Pictures 7 05-30-2009 11:39 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0