Question about goats
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Farm Forum

Question about goats

This is a discussion on Question about goats within the Farm Forum forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • i don't milk my nubian goats
  • Nigerian dwarf goat discuss forum

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-26-2011, 01:58 PM
  #1
Showing
Question about goats

Folks, goats of what breed are "milk" goats? Does anyone own/milk? How hard is it to keep them?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-26-2011, 10:37 PM
  #2
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
Folks, goats of what breed are "milk" goats? Does anyone own/milk? How hard is it to keep them?
I am just entering the world of miniature Nubian goats. They are as cute as a button and I'm told good milkers with good rich milk. I don't know enough yet to truly help, but I think they are the cutest buggers. Just like in all things though, do the research and look for reputable breeders. More info can be found at American Goat Society and Welcome to the American Dairy Goat Association

I can't wait to get more. Very easy to care for though I was told its best never to feed the bucks (males) grain. My are just roaming in my fenced in back yard right now grazing. They are given access to a goat mineral and baking soda at all times. They have a igloo doghouse for shelter. Mine weren't bottle fed or handled much so are still adjusting to being handled. Treats work good though :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goatstgthr.jpg (81.8 KB, 165 views)
     
    10-28-2011, 10:05 AM
  #3
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover    
I am just entering the world of miniature Nubian goats. They are as cute as a button and I'm told good milkers with good rich milk. I don't know enough yet to truly help, but I think they are the cutest buggers. Just like in all things though, do the research and look for reputable breeders. More info can be found at American Goat Society and Welcome to the American Dairy Goat Association

I can't wait to get more. Very easy to care for though I was told its best never to feed the bucks (males) grain. My are just roaming in my fenced in back yard right now grazing. They are given access to a goat mineral and baking soda at all times. They have a igloo doghouse for shelter. Mine weren't bottle fed or handled much so are still adjusting to being handled. Treats work good though :)
Thank you! It's an interesting info. I'm going to do more research on my own... :)
     
    10-29-2011, 11:17 PM
  #4
Showing
Once you start milking a goat it's a twice daily ritual that has to be maintained - no days off until, if she's bred, she's far enough along that she dries up.
     
    10-30-2011, 11:28 AM
  #5
Weanling
I used to have a milk goat- she was a Saanen, and the milk was very good. Goats are easy to keep/feed etc. but notoriously difficult to contain. They can get out of nearly any kind of fence and will destroy your fruit trees, ornamentals etc by stripping off the bark. They also like to stand on top of cars and will try to get in the house at every opportunity! But while they are a pain in the butt they are also very entertaining and can become very attached to you- I had one that followed me everywhere- even came along on trail rides (Not the one I milked, but one of her offspring)
     
    10-30-2011, 11:54 PM
  #6
Green Broke
I really like Nubians for milk - I don't have any because I wouldn't milk 2x daily.
Thegoatspot.net < great information.
     
    10-31-2011, 03:38 AM
  #7
Green Broke
I have Nigerian Dwarf goats. They are very good milkers I am told but seeing as I have a wether and a sterile female, I won't be getting any milk.

Goats are a PIA. They destroy fences and continually escape. My wether was literally hanging himself on a fence trying to eat the pig food on the other side. Literally choking and gasping for air but wouldn't stop (and it's not like he isn't fed.... both he and the female are FAT).

Good weed control but oh do they drive me crazy. Mine were bottle-fed so very attached and if you go outside they call for you continually.
     
    10-31-2011, 07:17 AM
  #8
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
Once you start milking a goat it's a twice daily ritual that has to be maintained - no days off until, if she's bred, she's far enough along that she dries up.
Oh, yes, I know that. :) I have no experience, but my mom had/milked goats back when she was younger. That was mostly her idea to get one.
     
    10-31-2011, 07:20 AM
  #9
Showing
Lol! And thanks, All, for replies!

May be someone want to share pics too? I'd love to see those.

Yeah, I've heard they are very hard to keep contained. I have a small field with rubber net all around it, so that may be the only place (horses fields are obviously too easy to get out).
     
    10-31-2011, 07:50 AM
  #10
Weanling
I love that fact that you don't have to keep goat milkings on a rigid 12 hour schedule – made it real nice in the winter when it didn't get lighter (or warmer) 'til later in the day. :)

And ditto what ilovemyPhillip said: TheGoatSpot.net is an awesome resource!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else have goats??? Day Mares Other Pets 11 11-20-2011 08:48 PM
Where to buy Goats jojonono Farm Animals 0 04-01-2011 03:38 PM
Harness goats mooney Farm Animals 5 02-05-2011 08:31 AM
More Goats! lol ilovemyPhillip Farm Animals 0 08-03-2009 06:41 PM
Goats Gingerrrrr General Off Topic Discussion 34 09-15-2008 03:27 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0