and another article on Big Lick - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

and another article on Big Lick

This is a discussion on and another article on Big Lick within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

    Like Tree37Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-01-2013, 09:13 AM
      #21
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jolly Badger    
    The sad thing is, so many in the "gaited horse" world of show horses have talked themselves into believing that what they do to the horses is totally normal and acceptable. They claim it's the way things have ALWAYS been done, and because they may have grown up in a "show horse family" they have seen it done the same way and never had reason to believe there was anything wrong with it. Those trainers often have clients who know very little about caring for horses - they just want to own a "champion show horse."

    The trainers aren't going to say to those clients "well, I'll be honest with you. . .we use some methods that cause the horse discomfort in order to achieve the desired movement. . .but it is what wins ribbons and trophies."

    They still claim "the movement is natural" but I have yet to see ANY performance/Big Lick horse, with all pads and weights and chains and chemicals removed, that still moves with as much action.

    I've always admired David O'Connor (and his wife Karen). They are amazing, talented equestrians but also excellent, classy people. The horse world needs more people like them.
    ALL the people who do illegal and immoral things to animals rationalize it .....

    They give them drugs to calm or hype them, saying they are so TALENTED, and JUST need this little help. Lance Armstrong and other bikers are now saying NOBODY can do Tour d France without SOME help....

    Nancy
    Malda likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-01-2013, 09:48 AM
      #22
    Foal
    Why don't they just create another TWH group that accepts all animals registered with this one, but only allow natural/ normally shod horses to show? Something like that is happening in the goat world because one of the Boer goat associations stopped registering animals and just stole money. Seems like it would attract most of the caring TWH owners, and by sheer magnitude attract some attention.

    But I'm just an optimistic teenager, so take what I say with a grain of salt
    Malda and EvilHorseOfDoom like this.
         
        07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
      #23
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greentree    
    I think not registering the horse only hurts HIM. He deserves his papers. I would register him without becoming a member, although I became a member again to transfer my current horse.

    At least that ghastly magazine no longer shows up in my mailbox!!

    Nancy

    I am a bit confused. I never knew there was a way to register him but not 'be a member'. I will look into it, thank you.
         
        07-01-2013, 04:47 PM
      #24
    Started
    On the TWHBEA transfer report, it costs $40 for a member, $100 for a non-member.

    Geldings are $20 for a member, $80 for a non-member.

    Nancy
         
        07-10-2013, 09:09 AM
      #25
    Started
    Horse Trainer Jackie McConnell Pleads Guilty To Animal Cruelty Charges - 07/09/2013 - Chattanoogan.com



    Horse Trainer Jackie McConnell Pleads Guilty To Animal Cruelty Charges

    Tuesday, July 09, 2013
    Former Hall of Fame Tennessee walking horse trainer Jackie McConnell and two associates have entered guilty pleas to charges of abusing horses in violation of the Tennessee cruelty to animals statute.
    McConnell pleaded guilty to 22 counts of animal cruelty, and in order to avoid jail time, agreed to a sentence of one year of house arrest followed by four years of supervised probation and a $25,000 fine. He is prohibited from owning and training horses for 20 years.
    Co-defendants John Mays and Jeff Dockery pleaded guilty to 17 counts of animal cruelty and will be subject to supervised probation.
    The state is seeking forfeiture of eight horses seized from McConnell’s training barn to ensure the animals are permanently rehomed and retired from the show industry. At the state’s request, the Humane Society of the United States has been providing the horses with rehabilitative care for more than a year.
    A Fayette County Grand Jury indicted McConnell and his co-defendants in March. Those charges, along with McConnell’s federal felony conviction for charges related to conspiracy to violate the Horse Protection Act, stemmed from a 2011 undercover investigation conducted by the Humane Society of the United States that revealed McConnell and his associates beat horses and used chemicals on horses’ legs in a practice known as “soring.” Soring is the method trainers use to force Tennessee walking horses to perform the exaggerated, artificial gait known as the “Big Lick.” McConnell is already serving three years’ probation and has been fined $75,000 on the federal conviction.
    Leighann McCollum, Tennessee state director for the HSUS, said: “The abusive training methods used by McConnell and his associates are appalling and a clear violation of the law. He fully deserved the stiff sentence handed down as justice for the horses who were beaten over the head, shocked with a cattle prod in the face, or sored so painfully just to win a blue ribbon.”
    Malda and JulieG like this.
         
        07-12-2013, 09:41 PM
      #26
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kotori    
    Why don't they just create another TWH group that accepts all animals registered with this one, but only allow natural/ normally shod horses to show? Something like that is happening in the goat world because one of the Boer goat associations stopped registering animals and just stole money. Seems like it would attract most of the caring TWH owners, and by sheer magnitude attract some attention.

    But I'm just an optimistic teenager, so take what I say with a grain of salt
    This, in theory, describes the National Walking Horse Association. They're supposedly a "natural/flatshod" organization. My horse is registered with both the TWHBEA (he was registered with them at birth) and the NWHA (I registered him with them several years ago in order to participate in their trail riding mileage program).

    I went to one of their (NWHA) shows last summer, held locally, and I only attended as a spectator not a competitor. Have to say. . .I was a bit disappointed.

    Although there was no "big lick," many of the horses placing high in the classes had a similar upright, stiff, high-stepping movement. . .almost more like a hackney with the amount of lift in the legs.

    The horses that seemed to just go easily and naturally along were not placing as well - if at all.

    I know it's probably an unfair blanket statement, since it was only one afternoon at one show. . .but I remain unimpressed. The winners were still more "showy." I was hoping to see classes of really comfortable, gliding flatshod gaited horses. . .and they just were not there.
    Malda likes this.
         
        07-12-2013, 10:06 PM
      #27
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jolly Badger    
    This, in theory, describes the National Walking Horse Association. They're supposedly a "natural/flatshod" organization. My horse is registered with both the TWHBEA (he was registered with them at birth) and the NWHA (I registered him with them several years ago in order to participate in their trail riding mileage program).

    I went to one of their (NWHA) shows last summer, held locally, and I only attended as a spectator not a competitor. Have to say. . .I was a bit disappointed.

    Although there was no "big lick," many of the horses placing high in the classes had a similar upright, stiff, high-stepping movement. . .almost more like a hackney with the amount of lift in the legs.

    The horses that seemed to just go easily and naturally along were not placing as well - if at all.

    I know it's probably an unfair blanket statement, since it was only one afternoon at one show. . .but I remain unimpressed. The winners were still more "showy." I was hoping to see classes of really comfortable, gliding flatshod gaited horses. . .and they just were not there.
    This does not surpise me in the slightest. As long as the quest if for "front end action" then that is what the breeding and training will aim for.

    G.
         
        07-15-2013, 08:37 AM
      #28
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jolly Badger    
    This, in theory, describes the National Walking Horse Association. They're supposedly a "natural/flatshod" organization. My horse is registered with both the TWHBEA (he was registered with them at birth) and the NWHA (I registered him with them several years ago in order to participate in their trail riding mileage program).

    I went to one of their (NWHA) shows last summer, held locally, and I only attended as a spectator not a competitor. Have to say. . .I was a bit disappointed.

    Although there was no "big lick," many of the horses placing high in the classes had a similar upright, stiff, high-stepping movement. . .almost more like a hackney with the amount of lift in the legs.

    The horses that seemed to just go easily and naturally along were not placing as well - if at all.

    I know it's probably an unfair blanket statement, since it was only one afternoon at one show. . .but I remain unimpressed. The winners were still more "showy." I was hoping to see classes of really comfortable, gliding flatshod gaited horses. . .and they just were not there.
    I looked up some videos of NWHA and they seemed to have more action than normal. Are these horses allowed to wear what I think are called Plantation Shoes? Ones that are heavier than regular shoes? Could they also be training at home with chains? I noticed a number of riders pumping with their hands, I assume that it's to encourage the horse to nod his head.

    Lots of step-pacing, too. But some really nice, comfortable running-walks. No idea if the comfortable, gliding horses placed.
         
        07-17-2013, 05:44 PM
      #29
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malda    
    I looked up some videos of NWHA and they seemed to have more action than normal. Are these horses allowed to wear what I think are called Plantation Shoes? Ones that are heavier than regular shoes? Could they also be training at home with chains? I noticed a number of riders pumping with their hands, I assume that it's to encourage the horse to nod his head.

    Lots of step-pacing, too. But some really nice, comfortable running-walks. No idea if the comfortable, gliding horses placed.
    I guess I was just expecting to see more natural movement. . .or more naturally-moving horses placing well.

    Not sure who the judges were, or what their experience was with Walking Horses. The class winners still didn't look very comfortable.

    There wasn't a single winner I'd want to take out for a day on even a well-maintained trail. . .let alone any of the "goat trails" I like to ride. I know some people really like showing, and really enjoy rail classes, and that's fine for them. . .I guess it's just not my thing.
    Malda likes this.
         
        07-17-2013, 09:13 PM
      #30
    Weanling
    I apologize if someone addressed this already. I scanned through and did not see.
    What you are seeing on Champaigne Watchouts feet are not pads or any sort of action devise..they are bell boots, found in any local tack store.They are to protect the horses hooves more specifically in long back stride walkers can clip their front feet with the back so the boots protect from that..My horse has to wear them when he is turned out due to his over zellusness he has about him self when turned loose..Have come back with bloody heals.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Where can I find Big Lick TWHs for sale? CloudsMystique Gaited Horses 42 08-31-2010 07:45 PM
    big lick walker confo chika1235 Gaited Horses 2 02-15-2010 11:10 PM
    Have any of you rehabbed a Big Lick TWH? CloudsMystique Gaited Horses 9 01-26-2010 09:57 PM
    'Big lick'' doodle Zab Horse Artwork 20 09-24-2009 02:24 AM
    Salt Lick SonnyWimps Horse Health 11 03-13-2008 02:32 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0