Bit Question - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

Bit Question

This is a discussion on Bit Question within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-05-2009, 10:55 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    I definantly agree on not using a harsh bit because you can't slow your horse down and going back to square one on the horse until he is responsive to the bit. That's another reason why I posted this is because I don't want to get a harsh bit for my horse I LOVE his responsive mouth. He responds well to the bit I use now and seems comfortable with it so do you think I should just stick with it? He was never rode in one before and I don't want to confuse him (sorry about the newbie questions I've never bought a horse that was trained already lol I always buy they young and train them myself) One more question (sorry) he was shod since he was 2, when I got him we took off the shoes (6-7 months ago) do you think some of the gaiting problems is the new adjusting to not having them? They werent padded or anything just basic shoes. Also he wasnt really trail ridden before we got him, they only rode on paved roads (thats why he was shod). Cause I have noticed if we go across a paved road when he is on it he gaits perfectly but I don't want to re-shoe him and I don't want to ride him on the road barefoot....wow kinda in a pickle huh lol...btw thanks so much to the loyal forum posters who have been being patient with my repedative questions im sorry I just want to make sure I understand stuff before I make a change...I don't want to try the wrong thing and mess him up.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-05-2009, 10:59 PM
      #12
    Green Broke
    Do you think I should just stick with it?

    If he works with it fine, keep it.

    Do you think some of the gaiting problems is the new adjusting to not having them?

    Could be his toe length. Was he cut shorter than normal?

    Im sorry I just want to make sure I understand stuff before I make a change...I don't want to try the wrong thing and mess him up.

    You're perfectly fine! You care for your horse! This is a good thing :)
         
        08-05-2009, 11:02 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    As far as I know his toe length is great...I don't know the correct but my farrier specializes in gaited breeds.

    I also read somewhere that it takes 12-16 months for the hooves to "repair themselves and harden" since he was shod for most of his life and all of his riding life...whats ur opinion on that?
         
        08-05-2009, 11:04 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    I'm not a farrier, so I don't know ;)

    Be careful to keep him off rocks as much as you possibly can while barefoot.
         
        08-05-2009, 11:22 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    Yea we do that as all 9 out there are barefoot.
         
        08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab    
    Uhm...
    I th...
    No, not even going to comment on that.

    There are ways to slow down horses without bits. Learn to ride dammit! Or get a calmer horse.
    Crow will run his tail off if I put an inexperienced rider on him, or even an experienced that's just used to pull the reins.. he's a VERY hot horse! Really stressed out-nervous wreck-"gonna run for my life if I get a reason or just because it's fun"-horse. Still I can ride him bareback in a halter in walk, gait , canter, gallop and even two beat pace with no problems to stop him whatsoever. His regular bit is a snaffle, he works just as well with a shank. Or bitless. Or whatever. Because he listenms to my seat, respect me and knows that the bit isn't a break, it's a mean of communication. If you need shanks for basic stuff like stopping, you're missing the communication.

    There I comented anyway.
    And I am sorry I even brought it up. I have been on horses 60 of my 62 years.

    Sell him my hind-end------ THAT horse has been my riding partner for 19 of his 22 years.

    Learn to ride --- I think I have probably slid more horses down hills and back up the other side bareback in my lifetime than any six people and I DON'T ride their mouth in case that was to be the next comment.

    I have never had to "reef back" on the bit to get him to slow down. He has never had mouth sores, he has never had issues. He always liked to go-go-go and SO DID I so how he used to travel suited me just fine.

    Take a Zanex and get over yourself. Things aren't always as black and white as people think they should be.

    Nuff said on this thread it's not yours and it's not mine------------
         
        08-06-2009, 12:24 PM
      #17
    Green Broke
    Well, bragging sure as heck isn't going to get you anywhere.
         
        08-06-2009, 12:26 PM
      #18
    Zab
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walkinthewalk    
    And I am sorry I even brought it up. I have been on horses 60 of my 62 years.

    Sell him my hind-end------ THAT horse has been my riding partner for 19 of his 22 years.

    Learn to ride --- I think I have probably slid more horses down hills and back up the other side bareback in my lifetime than any six people and I DON'T ride their mouth in case that was to be the next comment.

    I have never had to "reef back" on the bit to get him to slow down. He has never had mouth sores, he has never had issues. He always liked to go-go-go and SO DID I so how he used to travel suited me just fine.

    Take a Zanex and get over yourself. Things aren't always as black and white as people think they should be.

    Nuff said on this thread it's not yours and it's not mine------------
    If you don't need the harsh bit to slow him down, then don't say that's what you use it for. If you do..I still think you need to reconcider why you need it.
         
        08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
      #19
    Zab
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlene1985    
    I definantly agree on not using a harsh bit because you can't slow your horse down and going back to square one on the horse until he is responsive to the bit. That's another reason why I posted this is because I don't want to get a harsh bit for my horse I LOVE his responsive mouth. He responds well to the bit I use now and seems comfortable with it so do you think I should just stick with it? He was never rode in one before and I don't want to confuse him (sorry about the newbie questions I've never bought a horse that was trained already lol I always buy they young and train them myself) One more question (sorry) he was shod since he was 2, when I got him we took off the shoes (6-7 months ago) do you think some of the gaiting problems is the new adjusting to not having them? They werent padded or anything just basic shoes. Also he wasnt really trail ridden before we got him, they only rode on paved roads (thats why he was shod). Cause I have noticed if we go across a paved road when he is on it he gaits perfectly but I don't want to re-shoe him and I don't want to ride him on the road barefoot....wow kinda in a pickle huh lol...btw thanks so much to the loyal forum posters who have been being patient with my repedative questions im sorry I just want to make sure I understand stuff before I make a change...I don't want to try the wrong thing and mess him up.
    If he's used to shoes and you're not very experienced, I'd say to put them back on. He might be sore on all 4 feet and that can be pretty tricky to notice, especially on regular trail ground. His problems might very well come from that. Why don't you want to re-shoe?

    Gaiting is easier on hard, even ground than on soft or uneven ground, but he should be able to do it either way.
         
        08-06-2009, 12:31 PM
      #20
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab    
    If you don't need the harsh bit to slow him down, then don't say that's what you use it for. If you do..I still think you need to reconcider why you need it.
    Yes, it sounds like we aren't getting the whole story, but parts.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    bit question farmpony84 Horse Training 15 05-22-2009 09:00 AM
    Question! IheartPheobe Trail Riding 9 05-10-2009 04:30 PM
    bit question Kaitlan Horse Training 6 09-10-2008 11:19 AM
    Bit question? Juno21 Horse Training 7 06-27-2008 02:22 PM
    Question! Flickergurl15 Horse Health 11 11-07-2007 10:37 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0