Buyers Remorse?? - The Horse Forum
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
• Horses: 0
Buyers Remorse??

Hi,

Yesterday, I bought a 8 yr. old TWH Gelding. He is beautiful and has many qualities I was looking for and after numerous phone calls with the owner (who by the way I really liked which makes this harder) and videos, my husband and I went to see him yesterday. First of all, the videos were really good...it showed him riding next to trucks, Quads, riding with other horses....but in one video it seemed like their was this little "catch" in his step when starting off. He has four white stockings so I thought it was just the videos reflection off his socks that I was seeing. Anywho back to yesterday, My husband rode him, really liked him; I rode him and for the most part I really liked him too but I was just not sure about him. I told the owner I needed to think about it and on the way home really struggled with my decision, but my husband said give him a try, so I told her I would take him. She agreed to let me take him to my vet for an purchase exam and will take him back if any major red flags come up. Really appreciated that. Well, this morning without my saying anything to them, a couple friends of mine viewed the video and saw the same "catch" in his step as I did and thought there was something off with his left shoulder. Now I did not notice any lameness under saddle, but was not able to ride him very long. So now, I am wondering if I made the right decision and should have listened to my gut feeling in the first place. The owner has already removed the for sale ad from the computer! What should I do? Thanks
katyrose53 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,051
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrose53 View Post
Hi,

Yesterday, I bought a 8 yr. old TWH Gelding. He is beautiful and has many qualities I was looking for and after numerous phone calls with the owner (who by the way I really liked which makes this harder) and videos, my husband and I went to see him yesterday. First of all, the videos were really good...it showed him riding next to trucks, Quads, riding with other horses....but in one video it seemed like their was this little "catch" in his step when starting off. He has four white stockings so I thought it was just the videos reflection off his socks that I was seeing. Anywho back to yesterday, My husband rode him, really liked him; I rode him and for the most part I really liked him too but I was just not sure about him. I told the owner I needed to think about it and on the way home really struggled with my decision, but my husband said give him a try, so I told her I would take him. She agreed to let me take him to my vet for an purchase exam and will take him back if any major red flags come up. Really appreciated that. Well, this morning without my saying anything to them, a couple friends of mine viewed the video and saw the same "catch" in his step as I did and thought there was something off with his left shoulder. Now I did not notice any lameness under saddle, but was not able to ride him very long. So now, I am wondering if I made the right decision and should have listened to my gut feeling in the first place. The owner has already removed the for sale ad from the computer! What should I do? Thanks
Have the vet look at the video and if he sees it tell hetr the vet already failed the test via the video.
churumbeque is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 942
• Horses: 0
Take it to the vet and get a proper PPE. Then make your decision.

G.
Guilherme is online now  
post #4 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Western NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,092
• Horses: 4
You've answered your own question - " She agreed to let me take him to my vet for an purchase exam and will take him back if any major red flags come up."

If there is something wrong, the owner has agreed to take him back. So what's the problem?
Tracer is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
You've answered your own question - " She agreed to let me take him to my vet for an purchase exam and will take him back if any major red flags come up."

If there is something wrong, the owner has agreed to take him back. So what's the problem?

You're right. I was just going to make an appointment with the vet for the day I pick him up and get the exam. Thank you and everyone for their input.
katyrose53 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SE TN
Posts: 4,541
• Horses: 3
Hopefully the vet check will tell you what you need to know.

What is it you want to do with the horse? If the vet says he's good to go, and if he's smooth riding, willing, and sane, then will the "catch" be significant?

Could it be you might be passing up a good horse in search of a perfect horse?

" He is beautiful and has many qualities I was looking for"
"My husband rode him, really liked him; I rode him and for the most part I really liked him too"

I hope you find the answer you seek.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
gunslinger is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,051
• Horses: 0
My thoughts were if you had the vet look at the video it could save you several hundred dollars on the exam
churumbeque is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,769
• Horses: 1
Yes, she's already taken the ad down from the computer...and she can put it right back up again. I've done it before with stuff that I was selling. I thought I had it sold and took down the ad, then the person backed out. Just reposted the ad and went on to the next interested party.

I'm with churubeque on this one, though. Show the video to your vet and see what they think. The lady will understand if you are just upfront and honest with her.

You haven't put any money down on the horse, right?

http://i42.tinypic.com/140y8lj.png
Do not tell me I can't...because I will show you that I can.
DraftyAiresMum is online now  
post #9 of 21 Old 06-24-2014, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Yes, she's already taken the ad down from the computer...and she can put it right back up again. I've done it before with stuff that I was selling. I thought I had it sold and took down the ad, then the person backed out. Just reposted the ad and went on to the next interested party.

I'm with churubeque on this one, though. Show the video to your vet and see what they think. The lady will understand if you are just upfront and honest with her.

You haven't put any money down on the horse, right?
Thank you, DraftyAiresMum!! I guess I am so worried about doing the wrong thing that I can't see the right thing?! I have owned gaited MFT horses for years (Quarter horses before that), my husband and I are avid trail riders and I try to ride at least 3 - 4 times a week. My mare was getting older and I needed to replace her. I decided to check into TWH this time. I am 59 years old and my next horse will probably be my forever horse and I want (need) for my next horse to be very special. This horse is very sweet, beautiful and had good ground manners. Though the horse was a little nervous (he does not know me) the ride was just okay and I think the problem is I wanted so bad to like him and please my husband and the owner that I said I would take him and now looking closer at the video; I am struggling with my decision. He may work out and the vet exam may be fine? Should I just bring him home and see? No, I have not put any money down on him yet.
katyrose53 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 06-24-2014, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 39,794
• Horses: 2
The lady let you take him without a deposit ??!!
tinyliny is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seller's remorse? Icrazyaboutu Horse Talk 9 03-05-2012 07:05 PM
My horse was hurt when borrowed, no remorse, concern, nothing!! nvr2many Horse Talk 36 09-30-2011 09:57 PM
Stupid buyers. twogeldings Horse Riding 4 10-18-2010 11:05 PM
Why do I always get buyers remorse? Amarea Horse Talk 21 08-28-2010 01:01 AM
*BEST Buyers/Sellers!!!* PiggyPablo Tack and Equipment Classifieds 12 09-09-2009 06:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome