CALLING ALL TWH PEOPLE!!!!! I has some questions. :)
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

CALLING ALL TWH PEOPLE!!!!! I has some questions. :)

This is a discussion on CALLING ALL TWH PEOPLE!!!!! I has some questions. :) within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Twh camel walk
  • Why do twh have a camel walk

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-03-2011, 11:48 PM
  #1
Green Broke
CALLING ALL TWH PEOPLE!!!!! I has some questions. :)

Hey,
I have a bad back that seems to be getting worse. I still want to be able to ride. Some one said that I should get a walker. I think I like that idea. I have always like the look of one but I've never been on one.

So in todays market what would you price a beginer safe walker?

Do they have to have shoes on their front feet?

I like this one a lot but I think they want to much for him. They are asking $6000.

Gamblers Silver Lining at One True Media - share slideshows, slide shows, Facebook slideshows, free video sharing, video montages.

So what do you think?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-03-2011, 11:59 PM
  #2
Green Broke
There is lots of range in price for a beginner safe walker; anywhere from $700 for a basic trail horse without any "special features) to $3,000 plus for a walker with show experience/great bloodlines/other "special features". What you will pay depends on what you're willing to pay and what you want. For example, there is a lovely little 17-year-old black mare for sale in my arena for $2000. She is well broke, has good bloodlines, and has hundreds of trail miles on her, plus limited showing experience. For the same price, there is another yearling for sale with show lines and another 5-year-old gelding for sale with limited experience and lots of potential.

Lots of variation there.


They do not NEED shoes. Some gait better with front shoes, but most will gait fine without them.
     
    01-04-2011, 12:07 AM
  #3
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes    
There is lots of range in price for a beginner safe walker; anywhere from $700 for a basic trail horse without any "special features) to $3,000 plus for a walker with show experience/great bloodlines/other "special features". What you will pay depends on what you're willing to pay and what you want. For example, there is a lovely little 17-year-old black mare for sale in my arena for $2000. She is well broke, has good bloodlines, and has hundreds of trail miles on her, plus limited showing experience. For the same price, there is another yearling for sale with show lines and another 5-year-old gelding for sale with limited experience and lots of potential.

Lots of variation there.


They do not NEED shoes. Some gait better with front shoes, but most will gait fine without them.
Thanks! So do you think $6000 is to much for that gelding? I was thinking he was worth $3000 in the market here. You can get a nice warmblood around here for $10,000. I don't know I'm no good at pricing horses. Here is his actual add

Tennessee Walking Horse For Sale, Florida, Okeechobee

Do you think they could be charging for his collor?
     
    01-04-2011, 12:17 AM
  #4
Green Broke
I'm not a real experienced Walker person. But I do know this. They all ride and gait differently. Just like trotting horses will have different trots, rough, smooth, etc, gaited horses all feel differently too. And they can be very smooth, but just because one feels a certain way, the next one you test ride may feel very different.

I've ridden a couple of Walkers and a handful of Foxtrotters, and I swear every horse has a different feel to them. Some have short, quick, smooth steps, others are long strided. Some feel very level, some undulate like a camel. So you have to test ride each horse as an individual. There doesn't seem to be a universal "feel" to the gaited horses I've ridden.

All the gaited horses I've ridden have been barefoot (because me and my friends just trail ride). And all gait barefoot. So yes, any Walker should be naturally gaited and gait barefoot, providing that they have tough enough feet to go barefoot (just like any other horse). But shoes aren't required to have a nice trail gait.

So that is my prospective, coming from just a trail riding background.

For price, I would guess it has a lot to do with what area of the country you are in. And I bet Florida is expensive! They are fairly expensive out here too (Arizona).

For instance, and I've told this story a few times, but I dreamed of getting a gaited horse because 1) I like the way they feel and 2) my mustang could never keep up with my friend's gaited horses.

And I talked to this couple who had Fox Trotters and they assured me I could get a nice one for $5000. Well, I pretty much went home and cried, because I didn't have that kind of money to spend on a horse. My budget was more like $2000 max.

Low and behold a couple months or so later, they same people told my friend who has the gaited horses that there was a Fox Trotter mare for sale for $500 who was going to go to auction if she didn't sell before hand. And my friend new I was dying for a gaited horse, and that is how I got Isabelle. I just totally lucked out. I know the market has dropped, but the cheapest I have even seen anything like a Walker or Fox Trotter advertised for was $3500. So it was just totally meant to be. And she came pregnant and gave me my first foal, but that's a whole 'nother story!

Anyway, other folks in other parts of the country act like you can get gaited horses cheap, anywhere, all the time. But that certainly is not the norm in Arizona. I suspect they are cheap in the states that breed them the most- Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc.
     
    01-04-2011, 12:22 AM
  #5
Banned
That horse is entirely overpriced. Mostly because of his color. Blue roan is the new Grulla! Everyone wants one!

He is extremely pacey. That is not a desirable trait in a gaited horse.

I think in the under 2K budget, you should be able to find a nice, well trained trail horse with decent gaits. While the gaits are important, nothing hurts a bad back like getting tossed. A well trained horse that trots is still going to be easier on your back than a badly behaved horse that gaits.
     
    01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
  #6
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinowalk    
A well trained horse that trots is still going to be easier on your back than a badly behaved horse that gaits.
So true! Safe, sound and sane, that's my motto!
     
    01-04-2011, 12:27 AM
  #7
Banned
Tennessee Walking Horse For Sale, Florida, Marianna

This mare sounds like more of a babysitter type but pretty.
     
    01-04-2011, 12:28 AM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinowalk    
That horse is entirely overpriced. Mostly because of his color. Blue roan is the new Grulla! Everyone wants one!

He is extremely pacey. That is not a desirable trait in a gaited horse.

I think in the under 2K budget, you should be able to find a nice, well trained trail horse with decent gaits. While the gaits are important, nothing hurts a bad back like getting tossed. A well trained horse that trots is still going to be easier on your back than a badly behaved horse that gaits.
I don't think he looks that bad. He is defanitly beter than my mare that's for sure! I do agree on the price though.
     
    01-04-2011, 12:29 AM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinowalk    
Tennessee Walking Horse For Sale, Florida, Marianna

This mare sounds like more of a babysitter type but pretty.
That one looks like fat cow with a small booty.
     
    01-04-2011, 12:30 AM
  #10
Green Broke
I do like him. He's a nice looking horse and I like his build. He IS pacey, which can be hard to correct if you aren't experienced with walkers. If the pace is still easy to sit, I'm not too personally opposed to it if the horse is just for trails. However, it knocks down value.

You are paying a load for color. Again, he seems nice enough, but I'm not going to pay $6,000, personally, for a pacey, pretty much average horse when I can find one who isn't for less money. I would say he is worth, at the VERY MOST, if he turns out to be pretty good at all other aspects of trail riding, is $3,000. I wouldn't pay that much for him though.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling APHA people DieselPony Horse Talk 6 01-03-2011 05:59 PM
Calling all Arab people back in the crosby again Horse Breeds 9 06-28-2010 08:10 AM
Calling all photoshop people!!!! SonnyWimps Horse Pictures 21 12-07-2008 04:40 PM
Calling all show people!! mlkarel2010 Horse Shows 11 08-04-2008 08:31 AM
Calling all photoshop-smart people! SonnyWimps General Off Topic Discussion 5 04-02-2008 01:43 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0