Can someone explain a gaited horse to me? - Page 9
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

Can someone explain a gaited horse to me?

This is a discussion on Can someone explain a gaited horse to me? within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

    Like Tree6Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-30-2010, 07:26 PM
      #81
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnitaAnne    
    Here is a video of everything wrong (IMO) Is this the "turtle" posture?

    YouTube - Coming 2 Year Old Tennessee Walking Horse

    For those of you that may be wondering about the tail, it has been "set" AKA broken, and is wrapped, most likely to heal IMO.
    I'm glad not everyone is for the tail "setting"...I was reading about that in a book yesterday. Sounds very cruel and pointless to me, IMO, like docking a draft horse's tail..although I stand open to contradictions...can't see how that could be comfortable for the horse though.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-30-2010, 08:20 PM
      #82
    Weanling
    I also like the jumping Tenessee walker video! I think the rider could defenetly be more proactive with making the horse wait and not rush the fences, but the horse obvioulsy loves jumping and has pretty nice form as far as I can tell over those little jumps. I think I saw him trotting a couple of times, but it was kind of hard to tell...he might've been pacing. Maybe it was just me but he didn't seem to have as much of a "rocking horse" canter as the other videos posted here of cantering gaited horses??
         
        11-30-2010, 09:21 PM
      #83
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hrsrdr    
    No...sorry I didn't mean to come off as haughty by mentioning my "research"...I can tell you some about a normal stubben saddle, but like I said when I started this thread (it is a little different now!!) I knew close to nothing about gaited horses so never really learned anything about Stubben's line of gaited saddles. I don't know if my dealer even sells them because I can honestly say I have never seen a gaited horse here in Colorado or heard of anyone who does! I have not even seen one live. I know someone who has a Saddlebred, but apparently he flunked gaiting school because he just WTC like a normal "trotting" horse (to copy the term you guys have been using). Maybe he just doens't have natural ability or was never trained that way.
    IMO, you have not been a know-it-all!! You have been helpful...

    Saddlebreds are either 3 or 5 gaited, so the one you know would be considered 3 gaited. I hesitate to say more...

    So, I found a link to a gaited place in Colorado for you! I have no idea if it is close to you or not, or if the horses are any good, but if you have some free time, maybe you could go check them out & see what you think

    Thay have horses for sale & I always say that is a "free ride" to go look at horses for sale...after all, it is possible that you might buy one...


    Colorado Gaited Trail Horses - HS Gaited Horse Ranch
         
        11-30-2010, 11:08 PM
      #84
    Yearling
    If you're interested in seeing gaited horses in action, your state of Colorado is home to several breeders of Rocky Mountain Horses. The web site for their breed association is Breeders Directory. They're beautiful and have more of a single foot (four beat) easy gait, not as flashy as a head bobbing running walk or fox trot, perhaps, but very smooth. I'm sure that any of them would be happy to catch up a horse to show off for you!
         
        12-01-2010, 08:11 AM
      #85
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnitaAnne    
    Are you calling the posture a "turtle" when you see the rider hunched over?
    I wasn't the one who mentioned the turtle thing.

    The fact is, AnitaAnne, no one with half an education who cares about horses would go anywhere near a big lick Walker except to rescue it, and most people think sitting on the weakest part of the horse's back is cruel too. Just because some grown-ups do these things does not make them OK. People can be miss-educated or just not care.

    That's why I keep referring you to Ziegler's book - If you read the book and still think extreme chair seats, pads etc. are just fine then that's your choice. But right now you don't have the knowledge you need to make that judgment... and neither do the other newbies on this thread.

    Also, for the record, even though I love the breed I don't approve of some of the things many Icelandic riders do either.
         
        12-01-2010, 10:53 AM
      #86
    Yearling
    In addition to Zieglar's book I would most highly recommend to all Dr. Deb Bennett's Conquerors: The Roots of New World Horsemanship. Whenever riding styles are discussed, particularly the "chair seat," folks should review Chapter 8, "The Two Seats of Spain" and Chapter 9, "The Technology of the Two Seats." This reading will put to bed a lot of misconceptions and faulty assumptions about the two, dominant styles of riding that have passed down to us from Spain.

    Thumbnail sketch: each seat has plusses and minuses and each must be used with care in completing the horseback tasks that need to be done.

    I've ridden a Big Lick horse once (just to say I did) and was sigularly unimpressed. It's a movement that exists for one purpose and one purpose only: pleasing a crowd. It has no practical application in the modern world, or any other. The creation causes long term injury to the horse (even if the most benign of practices are followed). It's as close as one gets in the equine world to a "gladitorial practice."

    I have no trouble using a horse, even if the use will put horse and rider at risk. Police horses in the U.S. And Special Forces guys riding horses in Afghanistan would be examples. These are fair and necessary even though is highly dangerous. I've no problems with folks who event, steeple chase, flat race, etc. These are fair uses.

    The Big Lick is not a fair use under any set of circumstances I can imagine.

    G.
         
        12-01-2010, 11:03 PM
      #87
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ponyboy    
    I wasn't the one who mentioned the turtle thing.

    The fact is, AnitaAnne, no one with half an education who cares about horses would go anywhere near a big lick Walker except to rescue it, and most people think sitting on the weakest part of the horse's back is cruel too. Just because some grown-ups do these things does not make them OK. People can be miss-educated or just not care.

    That's why I keep referring you to Ziegler's book - If you read the book and still think extreme chair seats, pads etc. are just fine then that's your choice. But right now you don't have the knowledge you need to make that judgment... and neither do the other newbies on this thread.

    Also, for the record, even though I love the breed I don't approve of some of the things many Icelandic riders do either.
    Sorry to mix you up on the "turtle" position.

    IMO, you have just insulted me in more ways than one without any factual basis!

    IMO, it takes more than a "half an education" to rescue all the abused TWH doing the "big lick" walk; I think maybe 10 million dollars I might be able to at least build a wonderful facility and maybe rescue the ones around me in maybe a 30 mile radius. So if you would like to send me that money I will be more than happy to start right on that project, if not, don't make assumptions about me or my methods. Put your money where your mouth is & we can discuss the details, otherwise, quit accusing me of things you apparently know absolutely nothing about and get off your high horse & at least make an attempt to be a bit more practical.

    My mother taught me that one catches more flys with honey than with vinager, and I respect her much more than you!

    I have seen a lot of things that you have only read about because I am known, trusted & respected. I could tell you about things that are done to horses that would blow your mind. I know these things because I am trusted. You see, I catch those flys with honey & I have my ways.

    PS - IMO you have insulted Guilherme too, since he has admitted to trying a padded ride once too. IMO Guilherme is one I can begin to respect, because he has shown a maturity & practicality & willingness to share knowledge that I can relate to. Although I do not have personal experience of the style of riding he does, which I will call "the Fort Riley" way, I am familiar with the mounted posse patrols thru close friends of mine, which IMO is similar.

    This will be my last post to you, because I do not believe that you have the ability to comprehend my message, and I do not feel that you can see me clearly due to your own prejudice & preconcieved ideas.
         
        12-01-2010, 11:31 PM
      #88
    Weanling
    Easy...I don't know if ponyboy meant it the way it sounded. It sounded more to me like he is heated up about many of the topics we have mentioned here (rightly so in some cases IMO) and was blowing off steam. I did think he went way overboard with the comments about you being a "newbie" and about you not having knowledge to make decisions of your opinions...sounds like he thinks for some reason that you are young and rashly talking about things you don't understand, which is very far from the truth. I think all your posts have been based off of knowledge and personal experience and they have all sounded very educated and professional, and while I don't agree with some of the things you say I do agree with many, and I think it might be just a matter of different experiences. Maybe he has you confused with someone else? Sounds like he is just mad at the majority of the gaited show world for following styles and doing things for show instead of considering the horse, and is taking it out on you because you seem to have the closest opinions to theirs (although the only similarity I found was the sitting towards the weakest part of the back on a gaited horse...you seem to disagree with a lot of other concepts which IMO is a very positive thing, but as all of you know I have been introduced to the gaited world for a very short time now so don't have as much say). :)

    I think we need to be careful with this thread not to offend...there are a lot of differing opinions I think are great to bring up and discuss, but gently. The horse world has a lot of differing opinions that will always be there because of changes in technology, trends and viewpoints...I tend to have pretty fixed opinions myself once I know enough about a topic so I can relate to a lot of people there, but even if you have a strong opinion, mention it without accusing someone else's and leave it open to discussion to see other people's viewpoints too, which for the most part everyone in this thread has been great about. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and just because it's different doesn't mean its wrong.
         
        12-01-2010, 11:34 PM
      #89
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hrsrdr    
    I also like the jumping Tenessee walker video! I think the rider could defenetly be more proactive with making the horse wait and not rush the fences, but the horse obvioulsy loves jumping and has pretty nice form as far as I can tell over those little jumps. I think I saw him trotting a couple of times, but it was kind of hard to tell...he might've been pacing. Maybe it was just me but he didn't seem to have as much of a "rocking horse" canter as the other videos posted here of cantering gaited horses??
    Maybe his canter did not look as rocking chair because he probably gets more canter work as a jumper than the average gaited horse. I would have expected him to be more hollow over the jumps because of the higher knee action, but he looked pretty round to me. Not maybe T-bred round, but round. I couldn't tell when he broke out of the canter what gait he was in either...I would say talented rider on a nice, willing horse. I do like a horse that tries hard!
         
        12-01-2010, 11:37 PM
      #90
    Weanling
    Anita and LadyTrails thank you also for the info on gaited horses here where I live...I didn't know Rocky Mountain horses were gaited!! I actually do know of a few places here that have them in trail riding programs...maybe I can beg it from my family my next birthday or something!! :)

    As usual Guilherme your post should be published. :) Sounds like something from a book! Is a "big lick" horse just one like you'd see in a show ring, with the padded shoes, set tail and all? Like the one in the last video you put up here, Anita? What is so different about riding one?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Got a new, gaited horse! :) Zab Gaited Horses 29 10-11-2009 03:05 PM
    Gaited horse? Diegosmom Gaited Horses 12 08-04-2009 03:36 AM
    What is a gaited horse? CowboyIan Gaited Horses 35 07-23-2009 07:15 PM
    Gaited horse? Jillyann Horse Breeds 4 04-07-2009 07:22 PM
    Gaited Horse?? BlueSam Horse Talk 2 05-16-2007 06:59 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0