Clumsy Walker - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

Clumsy Walker

This is a discussion on Clumsy Walker within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Can a horse grow out of wobbles

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-04-2012, 09:58 AM
  #11
Weanling
Just going to answer a few questions :P No she is not shod at the moment. Should that be considered? I havent had a chance to watch her without being the one riding so I will have to do that soon and see if I can notice how her feet are doing! All in all I hope it is just a thing with her being young and clumsy. It would be great to see her just grow out of it. I will tell you this and I am sure this has to have something to do with it. She is very very out of shape at the moment she needs a good 50 pounds on her and muscle badly. Like I said we just pulled her from the wintertime pasture and started back to work.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-04-2012, 12:24 PM
  #12
Yearling
Shoes, meh, if she needs them, get them. If not, great. Just keep working her slow and easy as you build her up. She is young and injuries are common with overwork. (I'm sure you know this, but the brain says add a reminder :P)
Can you post pictures and video? My curiosity is killing me LOL
     
    05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
  #13
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaholic    
Shoes, meh, if she needs them, get them. If not, great. Just keep working her slow and easy as you build her up. She is young and injuries are common with overwork. (I'm sure you know this, but the brain says add a reminder :P)
Can you post pictures and video? My curiosity is killing me LOL

I will get some pics and video as soon as possible! She is currently at my trainer friends house and she is trying to work with her to get her show ready. Well her gaits and such. Wont be doing any showing until she is 4. I will ask her to send me some video of what she is doing I am sure she will be happy to do it! Yeah I have to keep reminding myself not to overwork ha ha cause she is just a baby!
     
    05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
  #14
Green Broke
More than likely she isn't pushing off her rear and working her hind end.If they are pulling them self around with there front end they tend to stumble more and can start clipping themself with the back feet. It takes some skill to see it and it takes some skill to get them working properly and takes time to change the way they move and to get them strong enough to move correctly
     
    05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
  #15
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
More than likely she isn't pushing off her rear and working her hind end.If they are pulling them self around with there front end they tend to stumble more and can start clipping themself with the back feet. It takes some skill to see it and it takes some skill to get them working properly and takes time to change the way they move and to get them strong enough to move correctly

I think she needs more action in the front, she has always worked off her hind pretty well but is lazy with the front. My friend is working her atm at her house so I will be driving up to check her progress hopefully this weekend!
     
    05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
  #16
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee    
I think she needs more action in the front, she has always worked off her hind pretty well but is lazy with the front. My friend is working her atm at her house so I will be driving up to check her progress hopefully this weekend!
If she is "lazy in the front" that means she needs to use her hind more and get her weight shifted to the rear.
     
    05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
  #17
Foal
I have seen 2 horses with symptoms like you describe. They both ended up having wobbles or wobbler syndrome. I hope this isn't the case with your horse. I would consider having her checked by a vet for any physical issues.
     
    05-07-2012, 11:43 PM
  #18
Yearling
I agree with the posters that say she is just too young. I had a Morgan mare like this, I thought she was the clumsiest horse I had ever seen when I started to break her at two. I nearly sold her she was that unsteady. So I switched gears & broke her to the cart instead. I worked her pretty regularly driving and didn't get on her again until she was a late 3 yr old. Rode her lightly even though she was steadier. By the time she was 4, people would tell me she was the most surefooted horse they'd ever seen.

If you put to much weight on them too early, they can be very wiggly & trip. Have you had her knees checked? Walkers are typically slow to mature and can grow into thier 6th year. I'd only work her lightly, driving would be best if you are knowledgeable & have a cart. It gets them stronger without having to carry a rider.
     
    05-08-2012, 01:23 AM
  #19
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne    
I agree with the posters that say she is just too young. I had a Morgan mare like this, I thought she was the clumsiest horse I had ever seen when I started to break her at two. I nearly sold her she was that unsteady. So I switched gears & broke her to the cart instead. I worked her pretty regularly driving and didn't get on her again until she was a late 3 yr old. Rode her lightly even though she was steadier. By the time she was 4, people would tell me she was the most surefooted horse they'd ever seen.

If you put to much weight on them too early, they can be very wiggly & trip. Have you had her knees checked? Walkers are typically slow to mature and can grow into thier 6th year. I'd only work her lightly, driving would be best if you are knowledgeable & have a cart. It gets them stronger without having to carry a rider.

Thanks for all the tips! I will consider all these as well, I think I will have the vet check her legs when I get her back. I am leaning towards the issue being with her age as she has always seemed sound.
     
    05-08-2012, 01:30 AM
  #20
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque    
If she is "lazy in the front" that means she needs to use her hind more and get her weight shifted to the rear.

I will have to watch her and see if your onto something here!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clumsy horse tecara Horse Training 17 03-16-2012 06:16 PM
Help I have a clumsy Horse!!! Christiannhorserider Natural Horsemanship 14 05-30-2011 03:56 AM
Are Some Horses Really THIS Clumsy? AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Tack and Equipment 10 07-07-2010 07:06 PM
rushing and clumsy :S savvylover112 Jumping 22 11-12-2009 09:46 PM
clumsy prettypalfrey Horse Training 11 05-04-2007 06:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0