gaited saddles - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

gaited saddles

This is a discussion on gaited saddles within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Synthetic gaited saddles 14" short back
  • Tucker saddles canada gaited good for non gaited

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-13-2012, 06:32 PM
  #21
Weanling
So the gaited saddle's would most equate to a semi-quarterhorse as far as the bars go?

I just bought a mare on the weekend who has been fine in the trainer's abetta saddles, fine in my wife's abetta but when I tried our spare leather saddle on her it's a bit wider /lower so ust don't really work well at all.

So i'm in the hunt for a saddle but looking for something off the shelf...
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-14-2012, 09:49 AM
  #22
Yearling
"Gaited Saddles" equate to "gaited saddles" which equates to a marketing ploy, not an operational saddle type.

If you are looking for a Western saddle I can't help you all that much. If you're looking at English all/general purpose saddles you can't go wrong with Stubbens, even older ones. For "trooper" saddles I understand Tucker is a good brand. A friend of mine has a Haggis Saddle (made in Canada). At first I wasn't all that sure that a sheep's stomach was good saddle material, but he swears by it!!!!!

For a Plantation saddle you can't go wrong with Steele Saddles. They have an excellent "try before you buy" program. Many other saddle makers use Steele trees.

For a military saddle (McClellan, Jennifer, Grimsley) try Doug Kidd at Border States Leather. There are a number of German Armee saddles on e-Bay at any given time; they are comfortable and well made.

The world of saddles is quite broad and diverse. Don't get sucked into the "gaited saddle" fantasy. Find one that is appropriate to you, your discipline, and your horse (in that order).

Good luck.

G.

P.S. I have a friend who is an amateur saddle maker. He tells me that right now the wholesale cost of the materials, including a tree, to make a basic Western saddle is just south of $600. Add the value of 40-60 hours of labor and you get some idea of the economics of saddle buying.
Jolly Badger likes this.
     
    09-17-2012, 09:27 PM
  #23
Weanling
I'm by no means saying to get sucked into the gaited saddle fantasy... just asking if there is actually something to it.

From what I have found it seems that there is something to gaited saddles. I'm not sold on the whole "gaited saddles give more freedom of front leg movement because of the flare" BUT If they are built on a narrower tree (like a semi-quarterhorse bar) then they are a very valid option to look at for my mare since a full QH bar is too wide/low.


What I am really looking for is a syntethic western saddle that fits my horse. Must have narrower bars since the 2 different semi-quarterhorse bar saddles I have put on her fit very well. Does anyone have any favorite for synthetic?
     
    09-19-2012, 03:56 AM
  #24
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
A lot of female riders, especially the older and a bit heavier ones swear by Dixieland saddles on Tenn Walking horses.
 I really love my D ixieland gaited saddle. And I am 15 and 104 pounds, it's definitely the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden in, by far!  You don't have to be old and fat to like these saddles, ya know! And they sell saddle pads and  matching saddlebags.      You also   have the option of adding padding on the seat. VERY comfy. =)  Their costumer service is first class too.

Mason72 likes this.
     
    09-19-2012, 03:57 AM
  #25
Yearling
Also, excuse the spaces and any weird symbols in my posts.  The keyboard and mouse are on the brink of death and are doing really weird things to my posts and to our email.
     
    09-19-2012, 04:24 AM
  #26
Foal
Here I have a doubt whether the half pad spine free is better than the fully covered .I am new to have a mare ,want to buy a half pad saddle.But I found two styles,any suggestions?
     
    09-19-2012, 02:13 PM
  #27
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseCrazyTeen    
 I really love my D ixieland gaited saddle. And I am 15 and 104 pounds, it's definitely the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden in, by far!  You don't have to be old and fat to like these saddles, ya know! And they sell saddle pads and  matching saddlebags.      You also   have the option of adding padding on the seat. VERY comfy. =)  Their costumer service is first class too.

I just don't know any skinny girls with em.

But Currently I wouldnt recommend them. Customer service is horrendous if you do have a problem and quality has dropped off.

Strongly disagree with the "no such thing as gaited saddles" there most certainly is a difference in tree shape.
     
    09-19-2012, 03:17 PM
  #28
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmama    
Don't fall for the "gaited saddle" fad, as mentioned above just find a saddle that fits your particular horse. I tried about 15 saddles before I bought one, I have a RMH/gaited Morgan cross. Very short backed and square, I finally took him to a saddle fitter and got a Dakota Barrel Saddle with full QH bars. Fits beautifully and he moves out great in it!
Posted via Mobile Device
I was checking out the Dakota saddles. They are light weight which I like. Is the leather really soft. I want a easy to break in saddle. I measured my boy with a wire and he measured 8 inches across-- which I had measured 3 inches down middle of wire and then across. He is short backed and stocky. So what size would you suggest in the tree size. I use a 16 seat. Thanks
     
    09-19-2012, 03:21 PM
  #29
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilherme    
"Gaited Saddles" equate to "gaited saddles" which equates to a marketing ploy, not an operational saddle type.

If you are looking for a Western saddle I can't help you all that much. If you're looking at English all/general purpose saddles you can't go wrong with Stubbens, even older ones. For "trooper" saddles I understand Tucker is a good brand. A friend of mine has a Haggis Saddle (made in Canada). At first I wasn't all that sure that a sheep's stomach was good saddle material, but he swears by it!!!!!

For a Plantation saddle you can't go wrong with Steele Saddles. They have an excellent "try before you buy" program. Many other saddle makers use Steele trees.

For a military saddle (McClellan, Jennifer, Grimsley) try Doug Kidd at Border States Leather. There are a number of German Armee saddles on e-Bay at any given time; they are comfortable and well made.

The world of saddles is quite broad and diverse. Don't get sucked into the "gaited saddle" fantasy. Find one that is appropriate to you, your discipline, and your horse (in that order).

Good luck.

G.

P.S. I have a friend who is an amateur saddle maker. He tells me that right now the wholesale cost of the materials, including a tree, to make a basic Western saddle is just south of $600. Add the value of 40-60 hours of labor and you get some idea of the economics of saddle buying.
Wow. Talk about making a profit on some of these high dollar saddles. I want a soft easy to break in saddle. Light weight, trooper style, round cut back for a wide/ short back gaited horse. Any suggestions???
     
    09-19-2012, 03:25 PM
  #30
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
I just don't know any skinny girls with em.

But Currently I wouldnt recommend them. Customer service is horrendous if you do have a problem and quality has dropped off.

Strongly disagree with the "no such thing as gaited saddles" there most certainly is a difference in tree shape.
Hum how has the quality dropped off. I was seriously looking at these. Is the leather hard or soft. I want a softer leather/ light weight saddle. What do you think about the Tucker saddles or Crates ??
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question :) Gaited horse saddles and non gaited horse saddles. Travellersmom88 Horse Riding Critique 6 07-25-2011 12:40 AM
Gaited Horse Saddles rum4 Gaited Horses 1 05-25-2011 10:36 PM
Gaited saddles QHDragon Gaited Horses 23 01-08-2010 10:27 AM
Gaited Horse Saddles? Liberty Valance Horse Tack and Equipment 3 09-24-2009 03:06 AM
Saddles for gaited horses snoggle Gaited Horses 6 09-15-2009 10:56 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0