I know its Taboo right now but does anyone on here show their walkers - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

I know its Taboo right now but does anyone on here show their walkers

This is a discussion on I know its Taboo right now but does anyone on here show their walkers within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Movement against big lick horse shows
  • Can horses lick their own bum

Like Tree25Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-06-2012, 12:15 AM
  #21
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
Some of us can't imagine why you would have a good horse just to ride in circles inside a fenced ring.

Diegosmom, he looks SO much better! :)

I was going to comment on that sentence, but you beat me to it!! Lol
I think trail riding keeps horses sane. It's good for their minds.

And yes, DM, he really does look tons better. Congrats!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
  #22
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
Some of us can't imagine why you would have a good horse just to ride in circles inside a fenced ring.

Diegosmom, he looks SO much better! :)
I see both sides.I do like to get out every now and then for just a little bit and show him the world.But for me I most enjoy him in a lit covered arena working on his gait and ques.
And now that I am where I am.If I screw him up I just have the trainer ride him a few times and im good to go.I would like to show him because he is in a situation now that he can be kept in some constancy.I don't know much about whats right and wrong but I have comfort in these people and I havnt had then since I got him.
I was also impressed with the fact that their training program is also trail.I went to see him the other day while the trainer was on him and I couldn't find him anywhere. There are two arenas (not close together I might ad in 98 degree heat with jeans and boots on) Im standing there scratching my head.My horse was gone and I can't find anyone but the hands and then way off in the distance I see Mister and he is in a very pretty running walk weaving in and out of trees. Then I was told half his training is in the arenas and then half is out in the wild blue yander.
     
    07-06-2012, 10:04 AM
  #23
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsaway    
I was going to comment on that sentence, but you beat me to it!! Lol
I think trail riding keeps horses sane. It's good for their minds.

And yes, DM, he really does look tons better. Congrats!
Trail riding keeps me sane.
arrowsaway likes this.
     
    07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
  #24
Weanling
I love showing because it really motivates me to finish my horse in as many areas as I can. It motivates me to take the time to get the best gait and animation out of my mare that I can and emphasize the natual movement that flatshod TWH's have when bred for gait whether that be flat walk, runwalk, or canter.
But on the flip side, trail riding keeps me and my horse sane and is what makes her so well rounded, she loves trail rides and it is a great time to reward her for the hard work she does in training. Who doesn't like trail riding an all nautral competitive show horse on the trails? Personally, I think it is great!

I don't support soring, chains etc...my mare walks barefoot, but I do support showing as I think there are some fantastic aspects to it. :)
arrowsaway likes this.
     
    07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
  #25
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegosmom    
Just wondering if there are any one here that does show their horse. Im not trying to start an argument. Was just wanting to talk show. I am thinking of starting Mister in shows next year after he is back to normal. Just want a hobby with my horse and I am not interested in anything but riding him around in an arena mostly with just an occasional outing so I thought this might be something I would enjoy . Ribbons or now ribbons
We show and trail ride our horses. It bothers me to no end how bad a rep the breed has.
Yes it is sad that they are abused, as it is with all other equine disiplines.
However, that does not sum up the whole group.
I do not chain or gimmick my mare to get walk, and yes, we canter.
I think supporting the shows up here in Alberta is important for our breed, as you will never see a sored horse up here, nor a big lick horse.
There is more to a TWH then big lick. They do gait, and they gait beautifully, without gimmicks. This is what we need to promote, and this is what our shows up here do!
     
    07-08-2012, 02:03 AM
  #26
Started
Joe has a very good point, I agree with that.

Love the natural TWH, but I hate the big lick, and weighted shoes... it's horrible.

Just because you may own a particular breed of horse does not necessarily mean that you also promote that breed organization (like someone suggested). I owned Arabians, didn't mean I agreed with everything that the Registry did; same goes with owning a TWH, doesn't mean you support that breed's organization/registry.
     
    07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
  #27
Trained
I also agree with Joe that the big lick people mistreat their horses. It does not mean that people that promote flat shod showing are cruel. I personally don't like any artificial gait. If he is not born able to do it, I don't like it.
     
    07-08-2012, 11:44 AM
  #28
Yearling
The Big Lick gait is a manufactured gait, not a trained gait. The gaits that are rewarded in the mainstream Walker shows in the Plantation and Lightshod Divisions are equally manufactured, albeit with less equipment.

Remember that a Lightshod horse can legally wear a 16 oz. Shoe; the Plantation shoe can go to 48 oz. They you've got the chains and other devices. And you've got the extreme trims of dramatically long toes and very low heels under those shoes.

As long as the BL gait (and its Junior Varsity partners, Lightshod and Plantation gaits) put bums in seats then they will continue. And anybody who wants to show and win in the mainstream Walker show industry will have to partake of those practices.

The NWHA is an alternative, but I don't know much about them or their rules. FOSH also has a show division but I've not looked at it in ages.

Anytime you "nail on a gait" you are doing a disservice to the horse. If it's brood stock you're doing a disservice to the breed.

G.
Jolly Badger likes this.
     
    07-08-2012, 02:04 PM
  #29
Green Broke
Your horse is looking so much better & happier. Glad you moved him & got some good help for him.
Diegosmom likes this.
     
    07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
  #30
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilherme    
And anybody who wants to show and win in the mainstream Walker show industry will have to partake of those practices.

Anytime you "nail on a gait" you are doing a disservice to the horse. If it's brood stock you're doing a disservice to the breed.

G.
I disagree with the first line and agree with the second one.

I show in walking horse shows, my horse is registered through TWHBEA, and I can honestly say that I have never: put on a heavy shoe, used chains, sored my horse or done any other harmful practice. Still, she can and does move competitively. I ride my mare barefoot in the winter and in a small keg shoe in the summer for protection. She was my first gaited horse as well as the first horse I trained so I do not have the resources nor knowledge to use those devices and would not if I did.
Now I do not promote soring in any way, shape, or form but there is such a misconception in the mass public that all TWH people who show in turn sore their horses. It is the broad blanket statements that give the implication that ALL invloved do this that also in some way aids the hinderance of the breeds advancement and show industry from improving. I am not looking to argue, more just wondering thoughts. What would happen if the people who are doing sound training were recognized by those against soring in as many ways as they can...would that create a change? I feel strongly against soring, but I promote sound show horses.

I agree whole heartedly that nailing on a gait is a crock and a disservice to walkers, I personally love the natural rolling gait of a 'born this way' Tennessee Walking Horse. They are out there, just few and far between in many cases, but a breeder dedicated to improving the breed can and will breed for the conformation that allows a horse to gait naturally. I bred my mare this year because she is natural, competitive, and an improvement to the breed if bred to the right type of stud -one who walks naturally and still can win a class. Rather than destroy the industry -why not try to transform it by bringing in competitive natural horses, they are out there.



Jolly Badger and Celeste like this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show Us Your Walkers! Brighteyes Gaited Horses 24 01-05-2011 11:06 AM
Walkers 101? Brighteyes Gaited Horses 30 07-14-2010 02:06 AM
what do you do with your walkers??? chika1235 Gaited Horses 5 10-17-2009 09:43 PM
hot walkers country7454 Horse Health 0 07-20-2009 07:01 PM
TN Walkers Joshie Gaited Horses 29 05-08-2009 12:37 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0