Just wondering if any of your horses do this
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

Just wondering if any of your horses do this

This is a discussion on Just wondering if any of your horses do this within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • What does a baby horses do to let other horses know its a baby
  • Horse grunting while eating

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-26-2012, 08:32 AM
  #1
Weanling
Just wondering if any of your horses do this

My horse lets me know when he is in gait cause he snorts with every step.

When he is pacing he is quiet and then as soon as he goes into gait its snort snort snort timed up with his head bobbing.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-26-2012, 11:52 AM
  #2
Green Broke
My current horses don't do anything to let you know they are in gait. I did have one that his ears would start twirling like helicopters and his teeth would click when gaiting and relaxed. That all went away when something caught his attention.
     
    09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
  #3
Weanling
quiet gaiter

My guy, 20 y/o in this picture, gaits at liberty. He is quiet with little head movement. He is a Peruvian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00493 (640x468).jpg (54.4 KB, 222 views)
     
    09-26-2012, 08:37 PM
  #4
Weanling
I'm not sure what breed your horse is,

My TWH does on occasion, but usually her snorts/growls are more at something

I was told that the Missouri Fox Trotters do make that noise when they are gaiting
     
    09-26-2012, 08:41 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim62988    
i'm not sure what breed your horse is,

My TWH does on occasion, but usually her snorts/growls are more at something

I was told that the Missouri Fox Trotters do make that noise when they are gaiting
sorry he is a TWH
     
    09-26-2012, 09:16 PM
  #6
Started
Not a sound out of mine. My old gaited Standarbred popped her bottom lip in time with her foot falls. I sounded like a bowl of popcorn going down the road at times.
Lockwood likes this.
     
    09-26-2012, 09:24 PM
  #7
Super Moderator
My old TWH would also bob his bottom lip in time with his gait and head nods while gaiting.
It didn't make a loud pop noise, but more of a softer bubble burst type of noise and it was so cute!
Every once in a while he would also do the gut gunt noise that geldings sometimes do, but in time with his gaits. Every other gelding I rode who did this same noise didn't have his rhythm.
     
    09-27-2012, 12:13 AM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockwood    
My old TWH would also bob his bottom lip in time with his gait and head nods while gaiting.
It didn't make a loud pop noise, but more of a softer bubble burst type of noise and it was so cute!
Every once in a while he would also do the gut gunt noise that geldings sometimes do, but in time with his gaits. Every other gelding I rode who did this same noise didn't have his rhythm.
Mine mainly just groans but on occasion he'll interrupt his groans to grunt with each step.
     
    09-27-2012, 01:43 AM
  #9
Green Broke
I have a Missouri Fox Trotter and she doesn't make any special sounds when gaiting but she does have a weird fluttery nostril type sound, something like a snort, but more like a sigh, that she does from time to time. It's hard to describe, it's almost like she's sighing. Her son does it too, he's a 1/2 QH gelding. I had never heard horses do that fluttery "sigh" before. It makes me wonder if it's something physical that's hereditary, or if it's a learned behavior.

I have heard of horses clicking their teeth when they gait, or flopping their ears, but she does none of that.
     
    09-27-2012, 10:10 AM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegosmom    
My horse lets me know when he is in gait cause he snorts with every step.

When he is pacing he is quiet and then as soon as he goes into gait its snort snort snort timed up with his head bobbing.
This can mean a lot of things. It could be an indication of work load (he's laboring; you hear this in humans, too). It could be an indication of a physical issue (maybe a breathing problem). It could be habit from prior work (he's likely a former show horse, and we know what they go through).

I've got a mare that "grunts" when you mount her, sometimes when she moves, and sometimes while she's eating!!! The mounting and movement I can understand, but eating grain?!?!?!

There can also be a "fitness" issue. Sometimes correct movement requires a different level of fitness and strength than a "sloppy" movement. Over time this behavior might less or go away, but sometimes it just holds on as a bad habit.

G.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I was wondering! shaggy Horse Talk 19 01-15-2012 03:49 AM
i was just wondering.. -xx-sally-xx- Horse Artwork 2 08-15-2009 05:19 PM
just wondering... PaintLegacey RR Horse Breeding 9 06-11-2009 10:26 PM
if your wondering why??? KANSAS_TWISTER General Off Topic Discussion 7 08-29-2008 12:06 PM
Just Wondering... Moxie Horse Talk 15 07-01-2008 09:23 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0