Rocky Mountain/Kentucky Mountain - Page 10
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

Rocky Mountain/Kentucky Mountain

This is a discussion on Rocky Mountain/Kentucky Mountain within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Pride of Roe rocky mountain horse
  • Rocky mountain horse pedigree database

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
  #91
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3boys    
her father is Schilling who was never registered but his parents were, her dam I am not sure on her but she was registered as well. Her father has the 'champaigne' gene (?) We aren't planning on registering her, but can we still call her a Rocky?
Legally no...the Rocky Mountain Horse is the only horse to obtain a Reg. Trademark from the US Patent Office...so if the horse is not reg. With the RMHA then it legally can not be called a Rocky Mountain Horse...

After that better picture I'll confirm my suspecions, she's a smokey cream no doubt...basically she has 2 cream genes...So whatever you bred her too (if you choose to) would have 1 cream gene, she'd throw a Chocolate Cream, Smokey Black, Buckskin, or Palomino...unless bred to another horse with a cream gene and you could get Perlino, Creamello, or Smokey Cream...

Nate
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
  #92
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by hccumminssmoke    
Legally no...the Rocky Mountain Horse is the only horse to obtain a Reg. Trademark from the US Patent Office...so if the horse is not reg. With the RMHA then it legally can not be called a Rocky Mountain Horse...

After that better picture I'll confirm my suspecions, she's a smokey cream no doubt...basically she has 2 cream genes...So whatever you bred her too (if you choose to) would have 1 cream gene, she'd throw a Chocolate Cream, Smokey Black, Buckskin, or Palomino...unless bred to another horse with a cream gene and you could get Perlino, Creamello, or Smokey Cream...

Nate
Now I know who to get a hold of for color when we breed the new girl.
     
    09-20-2010, 06:34 PM
  #93
Foal
I have a Rocky. His reg name is Colby C. Blaze and he is out of Buddy Roe. I do not know a ton about rocky's (but he has me hooked on the breed!) but I guess Buddy Roe is quite famous? He is out of Cox's Mandy...does anyone know of this Cox's??? I would like to contact his breeder...
     
    09-20-2010, 06:36 PM
  #94
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macslady    
Now I know who to get a hold of for color when we breed the new girl.
haha just give me a shout, seems like I live for pedigrees and genetics...idk too many people with the RMHA Database saved to their phone internet favorites...and it gets used a lot
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-20-2010, 06:40 PM
  #95
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridgefarm    
I have a Rocky. His reg name is Colby C. Blaze and he is out of Buddy Roe. I do not know a ton about rocky's (but he has me hooked on the breed!) but I guess Buddy Roe is quite famous? He is out of Cox's Mandy...does anyone know of this Cox's??? I would like to contact his breeder...
yea Buddy Roe was a son of Sam and out of a daughter of Tobe, making him 50% Tobe. He was a beautiful horse with a great head, gait, and attitude. He sired Pride of Roe a horse who sired out '10 colt, and I got to ride a couple months ago, KT Roe, Hammertime, and Perfecta. Several horses that came out or are still in Eastern KY and are in several pedigrees.

Nate
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    09-21-2010, 07:00 AM
  #96
Weanling
Actually you can google Rocky Mountain Saddle Horse Association. This gets you to their website. You can then go to their pedigree database and accept their terms. (That just basically says if there is an error in their database it isn't their fault.) You can then put in your horses registered name and see the entire bloodline 6 generations back.

You can also google ancestors in your horses line and often find more info.

Basically with the Rockies most everybody is related to all the base horses, with only around 25,000 in the US you probably have a least two or more big names in your pedigree.

The ones I find more interesting are the younger stallions/mares that are out there in judging contests now and what they are producing for further down the line.

It's fun to watch as you can actually start to see now how different stallions produce horses more for trail and another line for show. The highsteppers Nate talks about. I only hope they don't ruin the publics opinion of the breed as they did with the walkers. So far it looks like the Rocky Association is trying to keep the breed versatile. It seems to still be a pretty small group, as compared to say QH, so most people know the good stock lines they want to continue.
     
    10-01-2010, 10:38 AM
  #97
Weanling
Pictured at 18 days, barefoot with no toe...she's certified now...getting speed, step, and a headset...LOVE this mare!

Nate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sundown_(10).jpg (77.9 KB, 158 views)
     
    10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
  #98
Weanling
What bit are you using in the picture?
     
    10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
  #99
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macslady    
What bit are you using in the picture?
single twisted wire wonder bit...three days in that bit...had he in a tom thumb before hated it...she loves this wonder bit and with it being a single wire its not as heavy in her mouth
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
  #100
Weanling
The Fort Carson Mounted Color Guard has a Rocky that competed this past weekend at the National Cavalry Competition. It was a good horse that did pretty well. Not much chance to demonstrate gait, but it could jump pretty good and handled the weapons classes well.

G.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8 year old Rocky Mountain. mountainhorse44 Horses for Sale 7 06-04-2009 03:50 PM
My new Rocky Mountain Horse!! ahearn Gaited Horses 15 02-17-2009 11:45 AM
Rocky Mountain Horse MustangMan08 Horse Breeds 5 01-30-2009 12:05 PM
rocky mountain horse????? englishcowgrl Horse Breeds 6 08-06-2007 08:25 PM
Rocky Mountain Horses Boss Horse Breeds 1 08-01-2007 06:49 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0