Soring. For it, or against it? - Page 10
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

Soring. For it, or against it?

This is a discussion on Soring. For it, or against it? within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • MIDNIGHTCROW HORS CONDOM
  • Midnight forum horse condom

Like Tree97Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-17-2012, 10:28 PM
  #91
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin    
There's a huge amount of money involved in showing and is why soring has become acceptable amongst a certain crowd. You go to a big show and there can literally be millions of dollars worth of horses in attendance. That kind of money brings in an attitude of do what it takes to win.

Just so you know, there's a whole big wide world of horses out there that have never seen a show, never will see a show yet get trained, rode and enjoyed their whole life.

That's the point I was trying to make though... even though they have never seen a show, they DO get trained and ridden, which in SOME cases is all people do when they show. So to be against ALL showing is kind of extreme, there is also a part of the show world that is about having fun with your horse and practicing perfectly humane training techniques. Believe it or not, some people do it because they love it.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-17-2012, 10:44 PM
  #92
Green Broke
But there is some confusion here. You were saying they are trained and ridden for shows, without shows they'll just stand in the pasture and eat grass. Non show horses are still trained and ridden plenty but you wont find soring as a practice for these horses.

EDIT: I should add that I'm also not for showing. Even in low level, non money winning shows people will do things to breeds (not just horses) just so they can hang that cheap blue ribbon on their wall.
     
    09-17-2012, 11:54 PM
  #93
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin    
But there is some confusion here. You were saying they are trained and ridden for shows, without shows they'll just stand in the pasture and eat grass. Non show horses are still trained and ridden plenty but you wont find soring as a practice for these horses.

EDIT: I should add that I'm also not for showing. Even in low level, non money winning shows people will do things to breeds (not just horses) just so they can hang that cheap blue ribbon on their wall.

That's not what I said. I said I train and ride my horse everyday, even though I do not show her. But that in my experience, shows are nothing more than a disply of your horses training level under saddle. So even if you don't show, you train and ride, so what is the difference? That's what I said.

And SOME people will do things to breeds just so they can hang that cheap ribbon on the wall, but not everyone that shows is like that. As a matter of fact, I think you would find that there are fewer people like that then you close-mindedly assume there is.
     
    09-18-2012, 12:02 AM
  #94
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry4Me    
No, haha, that's not what I was implying at all. I guess I am just confused. I train mostly in dressage, and I currently do not show my horse. I train her and ride her 6 days a week usually, and eventually I hope to show her. But essentailly that's all a show is, you showing off the level of training that your horse is at, under saddle. Right? So if one is against showing, they must also be against training and riding. And in that case, what is the point? If you are not going to train or ride, what do you do? Look out your window and watch your horse eat grass? Don't get me wrong, I understand that in certain circumstances, horses can not work. And in that case, a retired horse is a retired horse. Do you know what I mean? I feel like it's not coming out right...
And no, I'm not closed minded but I do suspect I've been around the block a few more times than you have. I was raised around showing and saw first hand what people would do for that cheap ribbon and no other reward. They can be cruel to both animals and other people if they see that they are in their way. Are all people like that? Nope but enough are for me to not like showing and condem it.
     
    09-18-2012, 12:08 AM
  #95
Weanling
That IS close minded though. I mean, its like saying that driving cars is bad and I am against it because some people drive drunk and some people have road rage. So all driving is bad. I have been around the "show world" and its really not as bad as non show people make it out to be. I think it USED to be much worse than it is now.
     
    09-18-2012, 12:37 AM
  #96
Green Broke
If I may play devil's advocate, which is rare because me and ponyboy RARELY share the same opinion, I'm fairly certain when people say they are "against showing" that in GENERAL they mean on moreso of a regional, provincial or national level. They are against the idea of showing, which essentially in the end is to increase the worth of the horse. Specific breed type shows tend to be the worst offenders - we always hear horror stories of rampant types of abuse in Quarter Horse shows, Arabian shows, Tennessee Walking Horse shows. I think because they follow a sort of "closed" format - the only people WATCHING these shows is the people COMPETING in these shows. In general, open shows such as show jumping and Dressage are only more "humane" because they are SO public that people get in immediate trouble for any form of perceived abuse. However - we all still know it occurs in EVERY discipline.

When most of us on the forum think of showing or actually go to shows, they tend to be smaller local shows. In our eyes, we're going to test our knowledge - not necessarily increase our horses worth. If it is, it's only as an after thought as many of us would never consider selling our beloved pets. We don't go to win at any cost because there is little to no point - as was stated, when all that's at stake is a 99 cent ribbon you WANT to do well, but you don't find it necessarily to resort to violent and sadistic practices to achieve said results. You're there to gain experience, see how you're progressing and most important of all - to have fun! It's the only reason I go!

I can certainly understand why people become against showing in general. At the top levels, abuse comes hand in hand. We try to stop it to a point, but Thoroughbred racehorses are probably a perfect example of how much society will blind itself in order to make a buck. When money is involved, the animals always pay. It's practically the human way. However, even people who DON'T show abuse and mistreat animals so saying that you're against all showing is like saying you're against ALL horse ownership - just because a few ruin it, doesn't mean the entire idea should collapse.
Strawberry4Me likes this.
     
    09-18-2012, 12:38 AM
  #97
Green Broke
That's actually called a strawman argument.

Truly I'm not closed minded but I am very cynical. Human nature is to be competitive and do what it takes to win. In the show world that leads to a lot of things I flat don't approve of. So, until measures are put in place to control trainers, owners, contestants and judges I'm against showing. When those controls are put in place I have absolutely no problem with someone going and winning a pretty blue ribbon to tack on their wall.

For the record, I'm not holding my breath until those controls are put in place.
     
    09-18-2012, 01:15 AM
  #98
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
If I may play devil's advocate, which is rare because me and ponyboy RARELY share the same opinion, I'm fairly certain when people say they are "against showing" that in GENERAL they mean on moreso of a regional, provincial or national level. They are against the idea of showing, which essentially in the end is to increase the worth of the horse. Specific breed type shows tend to be the worst offenders - we always hear horror stories of rampant types of abuse in Quarter Horse shows, Arabian shows, Tennessee Walking Horse shows. I think because they follow a sort of "closed" format - the only people WATCHING these shows is the people COMPETING in these shows. In general, open shows such as show jumping and Dressage are only more "humane" because they are SO public that people get in immediate trouble for any form of perceived abuse. However - we all still know it occurs in EVERY discipline.

When most of us on the forum think of showing or actually go to shows, they tend to be smaller local shows. In our eyes, we're going to test our knowledge - not necessarily increase our horses worth. If it is, it's only as an after thought as many of us would never consider selling our beloved pets. We don't go to win at any cost because there is little to no point - as was stated, when all that's at stake is a 99 cent ribbon you WANT to do well, but you don't find it necessarily to resort to violent and sadistic practices to achieve said results. You're there to gain experience, see how you're progressing and most important of all - to have fun! It's the only reason I go!

I can certainly understand why people become against showing in general. At the top levels, abuse comes hand in hand. We try to stop it to a point, but Thoroughbred racehorses are probably a perfect example of how much society will blind itself in order to make a buck. When money is involved, the animals always pay. It's practically the human way. However, even people who DON'T show abuse and mistreat animals so saying that you're against all showing is like saying you're against ALL horse ownership - just because a few ruin it, doesn't mean the entire idea should collapse.
Actually I do mean at the small shows too but that's mainly due to the judges. I believe judges are the largest part of the problem by the animals they choose to reward. The same judges who work national shows also work small shows in between the bigger ones.

People start breeding for and using questionable training methods to encourage those traits that judges reward.
     
    09-18-2012, 01:40 AM
  #99
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry4Me    
That's not what I said. I said I train and ride my horse everyday, even though I do not show her. But that in my experience, shows are nothing more than a disply of your horses training level under saddle. So even if you don't show, you train and ride, so what is the difference? That's what I said.

And SOME people will do things to breeds just so they can hang that cheap ribbon on the wall, but not everyone that shows is like that. As a matter of fact, I think you would find that there are fewer people like that then you close-mindedly assume there is.



You opened a whole new can of worms, totally different from the topic of the thread. Can we stick to that please? If you want to talk about non-show vs show horse owners, why not start a new thread? Thanks!
     
    09-29-2012, 03:04 AM
  #100
Foal
Just popping in.... I only read the first few pages so sorry if I've missed alot.. but I honestly had never even heard of this. But this thread intrigued me so I did a google search. So incredibly sad. I also found this chart of HPA suspensions. Unbelievable how much it has been practiced around the US. Great thread to bring awareness, thank you.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more soring in the news SueNH Gaited Horses 62 06-02-2012 09:53 AM
So, you think SORING is wrong??? hanse004 Gaited Horses 121 12-28-2009 09:16 AM
Soring at the Olympics ponyboy Horse Protection 17 08-28-2008 08:00 PM
Petition to End Soring Mr. Midnight's Mom Horse Protection 11 08-16-2008 04:04 AM
Petition to End Soring Mr. Midnight's Mom Horse Health 3 08-01-2008 11:53 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0