Soring. For it, or against it? - Page 9
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

Soring. For it, or against it?

This is a discussion on Soring. For it, or against it? within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

    Like Tree97Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-17-2012, 05:12 PM
      #81
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ponyboy    
    YES! FINALLY I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THIS!

    Soring is the worst example but all showing causes nothing but trouble.

    So what do you do with your horse? I am just wondering what the point of owning a horse is if you aren't going to do anything with it...
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
      #82
    Weanling
    And I would be really interested to hear from someone who is FOR soring. Just because I am curious about the other perspective. There are obviously people who think it's acceptable or it would have never existed.
         
        09-17-2012, 07:26 PM
      #83
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry4Me    
    So what do you do with your horse? I am just wondering what the point of owning a horse is if you aren't going to do anything with it...
    Now, I'm not against showing or anything... But I don't do it simply because I don't want to. Are you implying that there is no point in me owning a horse, because if we don't show I'm obviously not doing anything with it? I'm not trying to sound nasty (I promise!) It just seems like that's what you're implying. Really, the opposite is true! I go visit her as often as I can, we go down beautiful trails and we hang out together in the pasture. Trail riding is a big thing - we both love it. She loves to be out and about, and I do too. (She also loves swimming!) But even when I don't ride, I just go down to visit her. She's always happy to see me and get brushed and bathed and even likes working in the arena for the most part. How is that 'not doing anything' with her, just because I don't show? Showing is not all there is to owning a horse.

    As for the second part... Even if anyone on this forum was for soring, I doubt they would speak up after our thread rant about how awful it is! But I agree. I would love to hear the mentality behind those people, and how they try to rationalize it.
    AbsitVita likes this.
         
        09-17-2012, 07:56 PM
      #84
    Started
    People who sore their horses don't necessarily have the mentality of "I love torturing animals". I've found that they simply don't acknowledge the abuse, or flat out deny it altogether. From the few that I've spoken to, they either insist that soring no longer exists (which we all know is a lie) or they think, "that's just the way it's done". They see the horses as a means to an end. They think it's acceptable to do whatever it takes to win.

    We're never going to get an explanation from someone who sores. There is no logic behind it. You have to be sick to rub mustard oil into an animal's skin. That's my explanation: they're just plain sick.
         
        09-17-2012, 09:17 PM
      #85
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ponyboy    
    YES! FINALLY I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THIS!

    Soring is the worst example but all showing causes nothing but trouble.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoebox    
    Now, I'm not against showing or anything... But I don't do it simply because I don't want to. Are you implying that there is no point in me owning a horse, because if we don't show I'm obviously not doing anything with it? I'm not trying to sound nasty (I promise!) It just seems like that's what you're implying. Really, the opposite is true! I go visit her as often as I can, we go down beautiful trails and we hang out together in the pasture. Trail riding is a big thing - we both love it. She loves to be out and about, and I do too. (She also loves swimming!) But even when I don't ride, I just go down to visit her. She's always happy to see me and get brushed and bathed and even likes working in the arena for the most part. How is that 'not doing anything' with her, just because I don't show? Showing is not all there is to owning a horse.

    As for the second part... Even if anyone on this forum was for soring, I doubt they would speak up after our thread rant about how awful it is! But I agree. I would love to hear the mentality behind those people, and how they try to rationalize it.

    No, haha, that's not what I was implying at all. I guess I am just confused. I train mostly in dressage, and I currently do not show my horse. I train her and ride her 6 days a week usually, and eventually I hope to show her. But essentailly that's all a show is, you showing off the level of training that your horse is at, under saddle. Right? So if one is against showing, they must also be against training and riding. And in that case, what is the point? If you are not going to train or ride, what do you do? Look out your window and watch your horse eat grass? Don't get me wrong, I understand that in certain circumstances, horses can not work. And in that case, a retired horse is a retired horse. Do you know what I mean? I feel like it's not coming out right...
         
        09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
      #86
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry4Me    
    No, haha, that's not what I was implying at all. I guess I am just confused. I train mostly in dressage, and I currently do not show my horse. I train her and ride her 6 days a week usually, and eventually I hope to show her. But essentailly that's all a show is, you showing off the level of training that your horse is at, under saddle. Right? So if one is against showing, they must also be against training and riding. And in that case, what is the point? If you are not going to train or ride, what do you do? Look out your window and watch your horse eat grass? Don't get me wrong, I understand that in certain circumstances, horses can not work. And in that case, a retired horse is a retired horse. Do you know what I mean? I feel like it's not coming out right...
    I think I do understand. But I don't think she was against shows *and* riding and training. Just shows - In a show you compete for the best horse, the best title, and some people end up being cruel because they don't want to work with the horse, they just want the money involved in a horse that has won many ribbons. They don't want to own and love a horse, they want to beat a horse until it does what he wants, show it off, and get money, then boast about how great their animals are. So instead of training the right way, they do things like Soring.

    If you just ride for pleasure, for yourself, you have no one to please. Nobody is going to care how your horse steps walking down the trails, and therefore the cruel people who "train" horses with methods like Soring wouldn't buy and abuse horses, because there isn't any money in it. If someone buys a horse not to show, then they are much more likely in it because they love the horse and want to work with it and train it - not to make the money and thus "train" using cruel methods. Look at it this way - if showing didn't exist, the amount of people who use abusive methods like this would drop to almost none. It's almost entirely for showing purposes, to win big titles. No shows/money, you're left with the people who absolutely love their horses and own them because they like to, not because they want money and titles.

    Again - I'm not against showing. And I'm not trying to say that everyone who shows is cruel. It just happens to be the reason many people use abusive "training" methods. People who are against showing aren't against all training or anything, but against them because they really do bring out the worst in some people and they don't' want to support that.
    Strawberry4Me likes this.
         
        09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
      #87
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoebox    
    I think I do understand. But I don't think she was against shows *and* riding and training. Just shows - In a show you compete for the best horse, the best title, and some people end up being cruel because they don't want to work with the horse, they just want the money involved in a horse that has won many ribbons. They don't want to own and love a horse, they want to beat a horse until it does what he wants, show it off, and get money, then boast about how great their animals are. So instead of training the right way, they do things like Soring.

    If you just ride for pleasure, for yourself, you have no one to please. Nobody is going to care how your horse steps walking down the trails, and therefore the cruel people who "train" horses with methods like Soring wouldn't buy and abuse horses, because there isn't any money in it. If someone buys a horse not to show, then they are much more likely in it because they love the horse and want to work with it and train it - not to make the money and thus "train" using cruel methods. Look at it this way - if showing didn't exist, the amount of people who use abusive methods like this would drop to almost none. It's almost entirely for showing purposes, to win big titles. No shows/money, you're left with the people who absolutely love their horses and own them because they like to, not because they want money and titles.

    Again - I'm not against showing. And I'm not trying to say that everyone who shows is cruel. It just happens to be the reason many people use abusive "training" methods. People who are against showing aren't against all training or anything, but against them because they really do bring out the worst in some people and they don't' want to support that.
    Ahhh yes, I can see that. I honestly never really thought about people doing it for the money, because in my personal experience, it seems that showing COSTS a lot of money in entry fees and travel expenses, etc... All for a 99 cent ribbon!! In my experience, people pay to show because they take pride in the horse, their trainer, and their accomplishments as a team WITH their horse.
         
        09-17-2012, 09:43 PM
      #88
    Yearling
    The higher end shows you can win big money. Also, studding out a horse that has 21 first place ribbons in said higher end shows can bring in some pretty good money too. Heck, if they sell the horse they could make a pretty good profit. The smaller shows you don't have to worry too much, especially if there's no prizes involved other than a ribbon :)
         
        09-17-2012, 10:05 PM
      #89
    Weanling
    Well yeah, that I know. There are some pretty fancy horses at the center where my horse is boarded. My trainer and 4 students just came back from NEDA's Fall Festival with a few handfulls of money and prizes and ribbons. But I still wasn't really thinking about it in that aspect. I know that we have some horses that are worth a pretty penny after having been trained by my trainer and going to shows and coming back super stars. But I never really thought about it any more that that they are worth a lot of money and they are nice horses... I guess because I have never been exposed to that abusive show horse atmosphere so its hard to remember that it even exists. And because a part of me doesn't WANT to acknowledge that it exists!
         
        09-17-2012, 10:16 PM
      #90
    Green Broke
    There's a huge amount of money involved in showing and is why soring has become acceptable amongst a certain crowd. You go to a big show and there can literally be millions of dollars worth of horses in attendance. That kind of money brings in an attitude of do what it takes to win.

    Just so you know, there's a whole big wide world of horses out there that have never seen a show, never will see a show yet get trained, rode and enjoyed their whole life.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    more soring in the news SueNH Gaited Horses 62 06-02-2012 09:53 AM
    So, you think SORING is wrong??? hanse004 Gaited Horses 121 12-28-2009 09:16 AM
    Soring at the Olympics ponyboy Horse Protection 17 08-28-2008 08:00 PM
    Petition to End Soring Mr. Midnight's Mom Horse Protection 11 08-16-2008 04:04 AM
    Petition to End Soring Mr. Midnight's Mom Horse Health 3 08-01-2008 11:53 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0