TWH new and old style - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

TWH new and old style

This is a discussion on TWH new and old style within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Pusher breed
  • Size of twh

Like Tree15Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-11-2012, 10:22 PM
  #21
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin    
There's many things I blame showing on but the current size of TWH isn't one of them, that's the fault of baby boomers! Boomers are wanting smaller horses to climb up on and they are rather large force in todays market. I've talked to quite a few breeders that say they have a heck of a time selling anything over 15.2 and forget selling ones over 16. So they breed for shorter walkers instead of the monsters.

At 47 years old I prefer the shorties myself. Back in the day I only wanted to ride the tall ones, but now I splat instead of bounce Less distance to fall from a short horse
Wallee likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
  #22
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdollarmagic    
This is my 12 year old registered TWH mare. She's very stocky but only 15hh. Sire is Generator's Silver Dollar and out of a Pride's Beam mare:




Silverdollarmagic, My mare has some Generator blood as well! I noticed you were in ms as well what parts? I like my mare she is going to be stocky when I get her back to health, Got generator,pusher,masquerading on her papers.
     
    06-11-2012, 10:38 PM
  #23
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin    
There's many things I blame showing on but the current size of TWH isn't one of them, that's the fault of baby boomers! Boomers are wanting smaller horses to climb up on and they are rather large force in todays market. I've talked to quite a few breeders that say they have a heck of a time selling anything over 15.2 and forget selling ones over 16. So they breed for shorter walkers instead of the monsters.
Thats the thing Darrin, I can't find a good tall solid built walker around my area hardly. And if you find one by god you will have to pay dearly for it ha ha.
     
    06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
  #24
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee    
Silverdollarmagic, My mare has some Generator blood as well! I noticed you were in ms as well what parts? I like my mare she is going to be stocky when I get her back to health, Got generator,pusher,masquerading on her papers.
A fellow Mississippian! I'm in Florence which is about 15 miles south of Jackson. What is your mare's personality like? I like the Pusher bred horses as well. They seem to have quite the personality :)
     
    06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
  #25
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdollarmagic    
A fellow Mississippian! I'm in Florence which is about 15 miles south of Jackson. What is your mare's personality like? I like the Pusher bred horses as well. They seem to have quite the personality :)

:P yeah another Mississippian here, Her personality is a in your pocket type horse. She is very good for her handler(which is me, and only me ha ha) she knows if a person can be her leader or not and she will test you. If you let her know right off your boss she is great. I have handled her since she was 22 months when I purchased her and she totally gives me no trouble . I wish I would have got her full brother as well when I bought her about a year and a half ago. Could have got him for 200 bucks buying the pair!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0245.jpg (41.4 KB, 119 views)
silverdollarmagic likes this.
     
    06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
  #26
Foal
She's quite a beauty! Love those markings. She does have a mischievous gleam in her eye I kind of like the ones with some spunk to them
     
    06-11-2012, 11:06 PM
  #27
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdollarmagic    
She's quite a beauty! Love those markings. She does have a mischievous gleam in her eye I kind of like the ones with some spunk to them
Ha ha Then you would love my mare, she got a spirit about her that is for sure. She is what some folks would call hot from time to time but she is a good girl with the right hand on her.
     
    06-11-2012, 11:11 PM
  #28
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee    
Ha ha Then you would love my mare, she got a spirit about her that is for sure. She is what some folks would call hot from time to time but she is a good girl with the right hand on her.
I probably would! Seems the "hot" ones make better trail and endurance horses in most cases. They can cover some ground and never tire out.
     
    06-12-2012, 12:04 AM
  #29
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdollarmagic    
I probably would! Seems the "hot" ones make better trail and endurance horses in most cases. They can cover some ground and never tire out.
Exactly they have energy to spare ha ha. Joe what do you think on the new vs. old style for endurance?
     
    06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
  #30
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin    
There's many things I blame showing on but the current size of TWH isn't one of them, that's the fault of baby boomers! Boomers are wanting smaller horses to climb up on and they are rather large force in todays market. I've talked to quite a few breeders that say they have a heck of a time selling anything over 15.2 and forget selling ones over 16. So they breed for shorter walkers instead of the monsters.
I don't care if they're shorter or not - but so many of the Walkers being bred now are narrow, lightly-built little things. Even a short horse can still be stout and wide.

The narrow ones just don't appeal to me on any level. They just look (to me) like they're a short trail ride away from breaking down.
Wallee likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
your own style of training vs. their own style horsenaround123 Horse Riding 5 09-21-2011 01:21 PM
Is my SWB 'older' style or 'newer' style? roro Sport Horses 6 03-07-2011 01:05 PM
Placed an ad for Style farmpony84 Horse Talk 10 06-12-2008 01:39 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0