TWH's banned from 2010 equestrian games.WHY? RANT - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 163 Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 285
• Horses: 4
The same things go on with the Saddlebreds as well, why only bring attention to one breed that is commonly sored when there are others as well?

16 year old TWH Mare named Ginger
3 year old APHA Paint Gelding named Fox.
RIP Evie (Clydesdale) 7.29.09 & Magic (OTTB) 2.23.10
Audra0729 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 441
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audra0729 View Post
The same things go on with the Saddlebreds as well, why only bring attention to one breed that is commonly sored when there are others as well?
I'm just going to come out and say it. . .this ^^ finger-pointing mentality drives me nuts.

Saying "the Saddlebred people do this" and "the Quarter Horse people do that" may temporarily put the focus on problems going on in other breeds, but it is doing nothing to change what is going on in the TWH breed.

The people who come to Lexington this year for the WEG will still be able to see Tennessee Walking Horses demonstrate their versatility and smoothness. It's just that the demos will be held and organized by the National Walking Horse Association, instead.
Jolly Badger is offline  
post #13 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In the barn whenever possible.
Posts: 1,910
• Horses: 2
Off topic I know (sort of) but will they be televising the equestrian games?

"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Plains Drifter is offline  
post #14 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire walker TWH View Post
I could argue about the abuse I see and read about in every other breed of horse known to man but I feel it would be whipping a dead horse so to speak.We all know that raceing is one huge money market, but do people realize that it also produces more unsound and abused animals than any other breed?Nearly every horse you see on the race track is kept stalled near constantly, especially the stallions. They are forced to start raceing before the bones have finished growing and they have developed completly as adults, and once their career is through they are put down.By career I mean a few short years.To rehabilitate them is dangerouse in most cases and very difficult. Did I mention that only a very small percentage actually make enough money to be kept alive and cared for?Did I mention that these race horses are put through drug enhancements, injections and I have even read of a hair brushes being shoved up there nose before the vet check to lower their resperatory rates. But for some reason the public ignores this.They prefer instead to focus on gaited breeds as the bad guys.
I can understand your passion for TWHs but you need to get quite a few of your facts right. Some have already been discussed but I take great exception concerning your concussions about the racing industry - especially those remarks in bold print. It reads more like a Humane Society ad rather then fact.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #15 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NeverSayNeverNeverland
Posts: 251
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Badger View Post
I'm just going to come out and say it. . .this ^^ finger-pointing mentality drives me nuts.

Saying "the Saddlebred people do this" and "the Quarter Horse people do that" may temporarily put the focus on problems going on in other breeds, but it is doing nothing to change what is going on in the TWH breed.

The people who come to Lexington this year for the WEG will still be able to see Tennessee Walking Horses demonstrate their versatility and smoothness. It's just that the demos will be held and organized by the National Walking Horse Association, instead.


Someone stated that the National Walking Horse Association will be showing the horses in their natrual gait, without the big shoes, is this true also?

"Keep on going and the chances are you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something sitting down. "
Charles F. Kettering ( 1876 - 1958 )
FlyinSoLow is offline  
post #16 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,510
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audra0729 View Post
The same things go on with the Saddlebreds as well, why only bring attention to one breed that is commonly sored when there are others as well?
Wrong. Please get your facts straight before accusing people. While breeds like Arabians, Saddlebreds, and Morgans for example are routinely shown in stacked shoes to enhance their gait, virtually no actual soring has been accounted for. These animals possess a natural animation and high stepping gait, and the padded shoes are more then enough to enhance it.

The atrocities of soring are attributed almost entirely to BIG LICK TWH. You won't see it in the plantation/flat-shod classes because they desire a natural gait. The monstrosity of a gait you see produced in big lick classes is 110% man-made. These animals have zero joint action that you see in the actual Saddleseat breeds, so viciously extreme measures must be taken to produce the hideous gait that is completely unnatural to the breed.

I don't care how you hash it, until the TWH association abolishes the big lick classes, I'm beyond proud to see them out of the **** spotlight. It is sickening that it is still allowed to occur in this day and age, with a bunch of self righteous rednecks somehow justifying what they do because "we own the animal, we can do what we like!"

Quote:
I hope God tells her to smash her computer with a sledgehammer.

MacabreMikolaj is offline  
post #17 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 441
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinSoLow View Post
Someone stated that the National Walking Horse Association will be showing the horses in their natrual gait, without the big shoes, is this true also?
That is true. The NWHA does not allow those stacks/pads, and there are no Big Lick/performance classes offered at their shows. They are all about the naturally-gaited Walking Horse.

I think part of the reason TWHBEA lost out on the chance to represent the breed at the WEG is their apparent reluctance to really crack down on the soring. They continue to actively promote the performance classes in glossy pamphlets and videos. Who knows, maybe they really are trying to make a change for the better, but from the "outside" it doesn't seem like they're all that interested.

The TWH is kind of a world of its own, and many of the people who have grown up around Big Lick horses see it as perfectly "normal" for a horse to move like that. They talk about the stacks and chains as "just something you have to do," and it's not a big deal to them.

What they don't seem to realize is that other horse people, outside that segment of the TWH breed, are looking at those padded TWHs and just shaking their heads in disbelief. Or maybe disgust.

It makes me sad that the silhouette of the Big Lick horse is what generally comes to most people's minds when they think of TWHs. I think the organizers at WEG made a wise decision in choosing the NWHA to represent the breed at the upcoming games, because it will be a chance to show the world how true, natural Walking horses are supposed to move.
Jolly Badger is offline  
post #18 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NeverSayNeverNeverland
Posts: 251
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Badger View Post
That is true. The NWHA does not allow those stacks/pads, and there are no Big Lick/performance classes offered at their shows. They are all about the naturally-gaited Walking Horse.

I think part of the reason TWHBEA lost out on the chance to represent the breed at the WEG is their apparent reluctance to really crack down on the soring. They continue to actively promote the performance classes in glossy pamphlets and videos. Who knows, maybe they really are trying to make a change for the better, but from the "outside" it doesn't seem like they're all that interested.
Well good, then I'm glad the NWHA is getting the chance to promote the breed and hopfully kill some of the negative assumptions about such a nice breed.

I agree it doesnt seem like the TWHBEA is doing as much as they should. That, and I get the understanding that a lot of the top TWHBEA horses continue to test positive for drugs that are illegal in their competitions.... but that could just me miss-information becuase I don't remember who/where I heard that from .

"Keep on going and the chances are you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something sitting down. "
Charles F. Kettering ( 1876 - 1958 )
FlyinSoLow is offline  
post #19 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: northern arkansas
Posts: 3,100
• Horses: 1
I agree with FlyinSoLow and JollyBadger completely.

I am so glad the WEG chose to have the NWHA represent the Walking horses, they deserve to be shown in their true natural beauty and grace. Maybe I can watch the Walkers this year without getting sick to my stomach and shaking my head in disgust. I am looking forward to seeing them now!

Ω Horses are a projection of peoples dreams Ω
Honeysuga is offline  
post #20 of 163 Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 55
• Horses: 9
Thankyou to everyone who posted replies to my posting. I do agree with some points raised and disagree with some as well. Thankyou for the link on NWHA. I was not aware that they were allowed to continue their contribution. One point that i dont like about the TWHBEA being cut out is the fact that they were originally to have a big part in the 2010 equestrian games. They were to have examples of each discipline and a booth with videos and information as well. But after the negative news and the fact that they dropped their pledge of 100,000 dollar sponsorship down to the 25,ooo dollar level they were told they could not attend once again. it seems to me that the decision to exclude TWHBEA was due to the amount of contribution... not entirely the bad rep the breed has obtained lately.
I see that the NWHA will be attending.... but they do not represent the TWH breed alone. they represent every walking breed, including rocky mountains and kentucky mountains. i enjoy them as well of course but i would like a little spotlight on my preffered breed.
For some reason every one is under the impression that a big lick walking horse must have pads and be sored to hit the big lick while this is not true. Most of the big lick walkers are also racking horses.... which is a gate that the saddle bred performs as well isnt it?doesnt saddle breds also wear the big pads and chains?
Training methods for saddle breds are nearly identical to that of walking horses.their tailes are cut and set, they wear the big padds and yes they are chained on the ankles and yes they are sored by unscrupulouse trainers and owners. My point is that they are not all sored. some are naturally big lick hitters. which brings me to the point that it is why i think TWHBEA should not be cut off from the games since many of the other breeds there undergo the same misuse and bad treatment. ( in every discipline.) I am glad that so many people are concerned about the TWH... but what about the bad things happening in all breeds? why are other breeds over looked so often? If my consideration to the TB horse hurt anyones feeling i am sorry. But i feel that it is another industry that needs to be spotlighted in abuse. the things I wrote about tbs are true. not speculation. I have worked on the farms and i saw it with my own two eyes. I feel sorry for any and every horse misused. but i think to ban them from public eye under the disguise of bad publicity is not the answer. the only way to stop this is to bring it to attention with education. its real hard to do that if the TWHBEA is banned from the games.
Yes i think the games will be televised to some extent, especially im sure on RFDTV. But probably not as much as i would like.
I would just like to see the breed im so proud of displayed to its full extent. even the racking classes.
fire walker TWH is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games! Nita Horse Talk 16 11-10-2009 07:08 PM
World Equestrian Games QHChik Meet the Community 8 09-10-2009 01:39 PM
2010 FEI World Equestrian Games in Kentucky Sara Horse Shows 1 02-23-2009 12:50 AM
FEI World Equestrian Games amightytarzan5 English Riding 12 02-08-2009 12:53 PM
Aussie endurance team in the Aachen World equestrian games crackrider Horse Pictures 1 03-08-2007 11:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome