What am I
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Gaited Horses

What am I

This is a discussion on What am I within the Gaited Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-10-2009, 01:28 PM
      #1
    Foal
    What am I

    Help me, please. Here is the deal: I have my first pony, or what I believe to be a pony. Sounds strange? You bet!
    I have had Morgans, Quarter Horse (the real horse by the way) and lots of others. However, other than a Shetland, I have never had a pony. I know he is a stud, I know he is gaited, and about 12 hands. What I cannot determine is the age, not even close, and his breed.
    Would a pony person(s) please write to me, and I will send you 2 pictures for you to view. Maybe, someone, maybe you, can give me a better idea of his breed.
    How'd I get him? A friend had a friend who had a friend who had to get rid of 6 horses. In the end, my friend took three, gave me this little boy. He was "maybe green-broke, and for sure halter broke." Neither was true. He even turned up his nose at sweet feed. There was a series of signs that he was jerked off a back pasture, where he had never been touched, to save grass for other horses.
    glennscheer@hotmail.com
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-10-2009, 02:27 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    Exclamation

    Just post them here.
         
        04-11-2009, 05:20 PM
      #3
    Zab
    Yearling
    I know two gaited breeds in pony size; icelandic horse and baskjir. Post the pictures here :)
         
        04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab    
    I know two gaited breeds in pony size; icelandic horse and baskjir. Post the pictures here :)

    By referring to Bashkjir, do you mean Bashkir? As in a Bashkir Curly?
         
        04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
      #5
    Zab
    Yearling
    I onnly know the swedish name, which is baskjir, probably bashkjir for you :)
    But isn't bashkjir curly a cross? I might very well have gotten that wrong. The baskjirs I know is small, definetly not curly, and gaited.
         
        04-19-2009, 09:06 PM
      #6
    Started
    Basjkir: Gide Basjkirhstar
    Bashkir: Breeds of Livestock - Bashkir Horse

    They appear to be the same breed. They're both from the same area, they're both gaited, and they're both hypo-allergenic. Maybe we call them Bashkirs in America and Basjkirs in Sweden? The Basjkirs don't look curly to me, but it says their coat is more like human hair and less like horse hair. Maybe Americans breed them to be curly?


    Curly Horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
         
        04-19-2009, 09:09 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    That's pretty average height for TWH's in this area now-adays sadly.
         
        04-19-2009, 10:52 PM
      #8
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rissa    
    That's pretty average height for TWH's in this area now-adays sadly.


    That can't be true... the average height is over 15 hands. Walkers are huge.

    According to Wikipedia, "Walkers are generally 15 to 17 hands tall, but can range from 13.2hh to 18hh."

    I wouldn't believe someone if they told me they had ONE 12 hand Walker... there's no way that can be the average where you are.
         
        04-20-2009, 09:19 AM
      #9
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CloudsMystique    
    Basjkir: Gide Basjkirhstar
    Bashkir: Breeds of Livestock - Bashkir Horse

    They appear to be the same breed. They're both from the same area, they're both gaited, and they're both hypo-allergenic. Maybe we call them Bashkirs in America and Basjkirs in Sweden? The Basjkirs don't look curly to me, but it says their coat is more like human hair and less like horse hair. Maybe Americans breed them to be curly?


    Curly Horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Nobody knows exactly where the Curly's were originally from. There was rumor that they came over from Russia, while the founder of the breed found them out west, roaming with the Mustang herds. It sounds like they are similar in name. They are curly naturally, while there are different degrees of "curly" They can still be registered even if they are not curly because they carry the gene for it.
         
        04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
      #10
    Zab
    Yearling
    I know curlys, but I don't get ''curly baskjir''..
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0