Any physiotherapists/physical therapists here? - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 52
• Horses: 0
Any physiotherapists/physical therapists here?

I'm a student physiotherapist in the UK, so would be nice to chat to fellow physios (phyical therapists I believe they're called in the US?)
maesseren is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A good place
Posts: 5,993
• Horses: 0
I'm an occupational therapist and rehab manager.

How long does it take to get an entry level degree in the UK? What is the degree called?
Here physical therapists attend college for 8 years and graduate with a doctorate (clinical doctorate, not a PhD.) Occupational therapists attend for 6 years and graduate with a Master's degree. Those are the requirements for entry-level positions.

I would love to hear more about practice in the UK.

What types of settings can you look forward to working at?
I manage a small nursing home, primarily, but not all elderly. We also have a dedicated rehab unit, see outpatients and treat at a local retirement community. I've worked in schools, long-term acute care hospitals, rural hospitals, home health, basic nursing homes, and outpatient clinics.
boots is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 52
• Horses: 0
Eight years?! :O Crikey! You guys work hard over there!

We do 3 years of university training over here with 1000 clinical hours before we can register as a Physiotherapist. The degree we come out with is a BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy. You can do masters and doctorates once qualified and specialised.

I work as a physiotherapy assistant in my holidays (the jobs are like gold dust, I'm effectively an underpaid physio!) on medical and elderly wards in an acute hospital but have done surgical wards. Other areas we can work in, burns and trauma, accident and emergency, paediatrics, neurology, orthopaedics (trauma and elective), rheumatology, amputees, hydrotherapy (usually as a sidekick to another specialism), orthopaedic outpatients, hand therapy, in schools and special needs schools, and in the community.

I think I've covered everything, but really, you can get physios where ever theres a need for them. We can do masters degrees to allow us to prescribe and do further diagnosing.

I'm in my first year at the moment, but have already had a placement in a paediatric setting which was brilliant. I hope to get another paeds placement in 3rd year (final year) when I do the paeds module.

The OTs over here usually work very closely alongside the physios, so usually you wont find a department with an OT but not a physio and vice versa. I really enjoy my job as an assistant, and I enjoy my degree, although it is extremely hard work.

What sort of things does your degree cover?
maesseren is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A good place
Posts: 5,993
• Horses: 0
Different colleges have different focuses of study. The one I went to was strong in psychiatric and pediatrics. I took additional coursework when I wanted to do more with orthopedics and myofascial release, swallowing, and neurology. Other OT schools focus more on biomechanics and kinesiology.

PT schools can differ, too. Some focus more on neurology, some on physiology or othopedics.

States differ in what they require or allow slightly. In South Dakota an OT can only treat from the umbilicus up. In other states there is no restriction like that. PT may be limited to only strengthening and ambulation or they may be able to do anything.

In really rural areas, if there is only one therapist of one discipline a PT, for example may address dressing and toileting and recommend and train for adaptive equipment. Or an OT may work on "functional mobility" and essentially treat gait abnormalities or balance. It is rare for an area to only have one discipline, though.

Across the U.S. PTs can have direct access. Meaning that a patient does not need a doctor's order to see one. But, both government and private insurance will most likely not pay for it then. OTs in the U.S. see only patients who have a doctor's order and get their plans of care always signed by a physician.

What about you?
boots is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,064
• Horses: 1
Originally Posted by maesseren View Post
I'm a student physiotherapist in the UK, so would be nice to chat to fellow physios (phyical therapists I believe they're called in the US?)
Well a physical therapists, is person that works with people who have injured or have problems with muscles and ligaments. I have gone to one quite a few times. And my aunt is one, really cool job.

VT Trail Trotters is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse Chiropractors/Equine Massage Therapists TheRoughrider21 Horse Talk 2 10-05-2010 01:48 AM
Equine Massage Therapists ~Freedom Rider~ Horse Health 4 11-25-2009 07:59 AM
Equine Massage Therapists? AlmagroN Horse Health 3 11-16-2009 08:32 AM
Equine Chiropractors/Massage Therapists? JustDressageIt Horse Health 11 09-03-2008 11:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome