A member pm'd the moderator team with evidence that all of the horses QuarterPony had been posting about, posting pictures of, etc., were not her own.
For instance, this picture, one of many QuarterPony posted of "Nory"
Is the very same picture of "Corcia", featured here Prairie Thunder Gypsys - Corcia - Mare
The above is only one example.
Because maintaining the integrity of the forum for our members is a priority, we asked QuarterPony about it. We'd hoped there would be a simple explanation. Rather than offer one, though, she wrote back saying she hadn't taken any of the pictures of her horses herself but that they were sent to her by a "friend", asked that her threads discussing her horses be removed, and said she had been thinking about leaving the Horse Forum anyway.
After much deliberation among the moderator team, we obliged and banned her for what amounted to a prolonged, extravagant campaign of lies and deceipt to members of this community.
This is something nobody likes to do, and we seriously considered giving her a stern warning and asking her to apologize to the community, but decided her egregious conduct warranted a ban for the following reasons:
By banning her we would be
1) Upholding the integrity of this community
2) Showing members we are looking out for them
3) Arguably helping QuarterPony herself by teaching her a valuable lesson about lying
By not banning her, we'd be
1) Sending the message that we allow this kind of nonsense to go on here
2) Not teaching any kind of lesson to QuarterPony
3) Lessening members' abilities to trust the people they meet and relationships they establish here. By banning members who are exposed as frauds, the rest of the community can be confidant that such people are weeded out.
While we feel for QuarterPony because she clearly enjoyed it here, we are confident that we have done right by the community and by QuarterPony, herself, as she will very likely think twice before carrying on like this again.
You don't have to own horses to participate at the Horse Forum. Because we care about our members and this community, though, you can't lie extravagantly to everyone about everything.
I'm sure people will have different ideas about how this should have been handled, but I hope you can appreciate that the moderators and I thought it through and did our very best to do right by everyone.