Breastfeeding in Public - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Breastfeeding in Public

This is a discussion on Breastfeeding in Public within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Why do women wear shorts with their butt cheeks hanging out
  • Cheek shorts

Like Tree346Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
  #21
Green Broke
I'm all for covering the boob when feeding. I definitely feel like it would be totally akward If (let's just say, hypothetically) you were walking down Times Square and some lady just whips out a bare boob and starts feeding? No problem with it otherwise but I believe it should be covered or atleast not completely visible.
Posted via Mobile Device
starfia and Hidalgo13 like this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
  #22
Weanling
While some women really do 'whip it out' the vast majority of nursing mothers don't. Most of them don't go out in public and try to nurse a newborn, because its just too awkward, and the baby thwarts all attempts to keep things covered. But just because a few women want to flaunt what they've got/what they're doing, doesn't mean the rest of us should be penalized. I've seen and used those blanket thingies with the collar that is supposed to make them more ventilated. Breastfeeding is hot and sweaty enough, yes, those are better than draping a blanket, but not by much.

Some women wear short shorts with their butt cheeks hanging out, should we ban shorts so we're not subjected to those women? Some women wear shirts that are so low the only part of their breast you CAN'T see is their nipple, should we require high collars so we're not subjected to it? I think the reality is that we expect (and should expect) for people to be mature and responsible in their actions. Most women are well aware that breastfeeding makes many people (men especially, but also women who seem to think their man is going to be turned on by it) uncomfortable, and will at least turn away or be discrete while getting situated. Once the baby is nursing, you really can't see anything. Its not her fault if you're uncomfortable because you 'know what's going on'.

You can't penalize an entire group of people based on the indiscreet actions of a few.
NorthernMama and attackships like this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:37 PM
  #23
Yearling
And we're only covering the issue of adults and their thoughts on seeing exposed breasts. Is it really fair for the people that have their children out in public and don't want them seeing breasts?

I don't have any issue with covered breast feeding.
starfia, Silent one and kait18 like this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:39 PM
  #24
Green Broke
Kait - there is no difference.. that's why it is HER issue. There should be some modesty involved.
starfia likes this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:44 PM
  #25
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayshell38    
And we're only covering the issue of adults and their thoughts on seeing exposed breasts. Is it really fair for the people that have their children out in public and don't want them seeing breasts?

This.

Personally, it's life. But I know ALOT of people who would get all uppity and herky jerky about there children seeing it.

No one is penalizing the ones who do breast feed in public but I'm sure its just as akward as seeing someone poo in public or something of the like. Just some things are uncomfortable.
Posted via Mobile Device
starfia likes this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:44 PM
  #26
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicokatt    
While some women really do 'whip it out' the vast majority of nursing mothers don't. Most of them don't go out in public and try to nurse a newborn, because its just too awkward, and the baby thwarts all attempts to keep things covered. But just because a few women want to flaunt what they've got/what they're doing, doesn't mean the rest of us should be penalized. I've seen and used those blanket thingies with the collar that is supposed to make them more ventilated. Breastfeeding is hot and sweaty enough, yes, those are better than draping a blanket, but not by much.

Some women wear short shorts with their butt cheeks hanging out, should we ban shorts so we're not subjected to those women? Some women wear shirts that are so low the only part of their breast you CAN'T see is their nipple, should we require high collars so we're not subjected to it? I think the reality is that we expect (and should expect) for people to be mature and responsible in their actions. Most women are well aware that breastfeeding makes many people (men especially, but also women who seem to think their man is going to be turned on by it) uncomfortable, and will at least turn away or be discrete while getting situated. Once the baby is nursing, you really can't see anything. Its not her fault if you're uncomfortable because you 'know what's going on'.

You can't penalize an entire group of people based on the indiscreet actions of a few.
personally I think as a whole our societies acceptable clothing needs to change. If it were up to me there would be no short shorts, no itsy bitsy bikini, no baggy pants, etc. when did exposing as much of your body become acceptable? Does no one believe in imagination anymore?

That's my 2 cents on that, so now you understand why I don't want to see someone whip it out. And as for penalizing I don't see how it really penalizes anyone. The sheets/bibs gives the mother and baby privacy and allows for people to mind there own business. Its a win for both sides.
Wallaby likes this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
  #27
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgal    
kait - there is no difference.. that's why it is HER issue. There should be some modesty involved.
its not just her issue when its in public. When she is in a private setting its all her decision but when a mother exposes others and there childrens to it, it then becomes a public issue and everyone is involved.
texasgal likes this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
  #28
Foal
I had five children and breast fed them all. I am very shy and managed to do it without anyone even realizing it in most cases. I made it a point to wear clothes that were conducive to sneaky feeding. I have thrown a blanket over my shoulder so me and the babies cheek was covered or totally over all of us if it was getting tricky. I am for breast feeding because it helps with bonding for mom and baby. It means that you can't just prop up a bottle and go on about your day. The nutrients from Mom's milk help with antibodies and is the perfect nutrient for baby. Stop making a big deal about it and let Mom's feed in peace. I do feel some women use it as some kind of statement. They seem to get a little militant about their right to feed Anywhere they want to. There are places that I did seek out a very private place to nurse. It seemed to me inappropriate to feed while in church so would find a quiet empty room at those times.

My children have managed to embarrass me by making to much noise or jerking the cover off, but even at that there was not much to see.
natisha likes this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:49 PM
  #29
Green Broke
Work with me kait.. I'm agreeing with you. A woman has an issue if she feels the need to show her breasts in public. How much plainer can I be??? Lol

Down, girl! *smile*
kait18 likes this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
  #30
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator    
What follows is not a judgment one way or another, but simply an account of a recent personal experience. A few months ago my wife, our baby, and I were sitting in a circle with other parents and their babies at the Music Together class we go to on Sundays, when suddenly a woman took out her breast, lifted her baby to it, and began breastfeeding. Boy, did it catch me off guard. She was sitting directly across from me in the circle and I didn't know what to do with myself. Look at the ceiling? Look off to the side? Close my eyes? I just turned to my wife and daughter and sang the most purposeful verse of "She'll be coming around the mountain when she comes" that I ever have or ever will.
Definitely had a little laugh at this! I can understand this and I would have been a little caught off guard as well..
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fair grounds and use to the public? kait18 Horse Talk 2 05-23-2012 12:35 PM
4-h public presentation topics lopinslower917 Horse Talk 0 01-06-2012 08:58 PM
Public Enemies Mira Movies, Music, and TV 6 07-23-2009 10:53 AM
Public Apology Meg Horse Talk 1 01-15-2009 09:28 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0