Be careful when you post on Facebook! - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Be careful when you post on Facebook!

This is a discussion on Be careful when you post on Facebook! within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Powered by vBulletin secret off topic

Like Tree19Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-07-2012, 12:44 AM
  #31
Trained
If a potential employee is given access to all inter-office correspondence, back-ground checks, FB pages, etc., of their potential employer before they consider applying for a job in an effort to determine if its really somewhere they would like to work, yeah - why not, let the employer see the FB of the potential candidates. Otherwise, if the status is private - its a media that saves paper and is no different than letters or email.
kitten_Val likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-07-2012, 07:19 AM
  #32
Showing
With all due respect.. you choose to put it on FB then it's out for the public to see. If you don't want people to know then leave it off there.

But something still bothers me about having them use your username and password. Talk about major snooping.. that's like giving them your phone and going through all of your contacts, messages, IMs, etc.
     
    07-07-2012, 10:56 AM
  #33
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
FM, there is a big difference about googling or checking stuff (and I agree it may cut-off potential troublemakers or violators) and requesting a person to provide a password to be able to read what he/she posts or sends. I read (and heard in person) about companies asking for password to check the profile and correspondence. Personally I consider it as a huge violation of my privacy.
Yes, there is a difference. And I think for some jobs you are right and it may be inappropriate. But for the types of jobs I have had, oil and gas exploration where there are corporate secrets and proprietary information worth millions and sometimes billions of dollars, federal government service where there can be national security issues, and corporate banking, which obviously involves many fiduciary issues and where honesty and integrity are a must, I don't think it is inappropriate at all.

There is always a bigger picture...not only is there the issue of what a potential employee may have said publicly, but I also want to know if the person does not have the common sense and sense of tact and confidentiality to post such things publicly in the first place - as is what happened with this teacher. To think a student is like an ape is one thing, but to so state publicly reflects a person that cannot be entrusted with confidential information, and a person with no tact or interpersonal skills, and extremely poor judgment.

I guess what I am trying - probably poorly - to say is, using this teacher as an example, I personally consider the fact that she has such poor judgment and said what she did publicly as a greater transgression than what she actually said, and more serious grounds for dismissal...
     
    07-07-2012, 01:51 PM
  #34
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
But for the types of jobs I have had, oil and gas exploration where there are corporate secrets and proprietary information worth millions and sometimes billions of dollars, federal government service where there can be national security issues, and corporate banking, which obviously involves many fiduciary issues and where honesty and integrity are a must, I don't think it is inappropriate at all.
Everyone having access to the private government information and/or information worth billion of dollars must sign papers about not discussing or using it at least every year (and sometime even more often). Moreover such companies usually keep really good track of who's doing what on their computer and when/how reaches the database.

With that being said do you really believe someone can't create a 2nd account (email, FB, you name it) company doesn't know about and just use it? Of course people do. I have 6 email accounts, for example: 1 for friends, 1 for orders, 1 for Craigslist and ads, 1 for horse and pet-related stuff, etc.

But I still find it outrageous if I come to the interview and will be told something like "you have to give us all passwords now, so we can check your correspondence before we decide to hire you". Or (even better) send them all even before they consider me for the interview. BTW, I went through background check in past, and it's a really intense one when they talk to neighbors, co-workers, friends, etc. (besides checking records, of course) - in many instances something would of come up if you would be unreliable or potentially dangerous.
Missy May likes this.
     
    07-07-2012, 02:35 PM
  #35
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
There is always a bigger picture...not only is there the issue of what a potential employee may have said publicly, but I also want to know if the person does not have the common sense and sense of tact and confidentiality to post such things publicly in the first place - as is what happened with this teacher. To think a student is like an ape is one thing, but to so state publicly reflects a person that cannot be entrusted with confidential information, and a person with no tact or interpersonal skills, and extremely poor judgment.

I guess what I am trying - probably poorly - to say is, using this teacher as an example, I personally consider the fact that she has such poor judgment and said what she did publicly as a greater transgression than what she actually said, and more serious grounds for dismissal...
I see your point concerning poor judgement and making public statements - and it is a good one. However, there is always the "human factor". Often times security background checks are contracted. This might remove some bias, yes - but then again, they often live in the community. I personally don't care if anyone sees my fb page, but...for example.... where I live, what my daughter looks like, where she attends school, what she drives, where she will most likely be at any given hour is not something I want her to hand out to complete strangers - I don't care who they are. In fact, I only joined FB originally to monitor my children's on-line social activity. I wouldn't hand it to a "potential employer" either. And, if they saw my mare...she is so gorgeous - they might swipe her!!!! :)
     
    07-07-2012, 05:29 PM
  #36
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
Everyone having access to the private government information and/or information worth billion of dollars must sign papers about not discussing or using it at least every year (and sometime even more often). Moreover such companies usually keep really good track of who's doing what on their computer and when/how reaches the database.

With that being said do you really believe someone can't create a 2nd account (email, FB, you name it) company doesn't know about and just use it? Of course people do. I have 6 email accounts, for example: 1 for friends, 1 for orders, 1 for Craigslist and ads, 1 for horse and pet-related stuff, etc.

But I still find it outrageous if I come to the interview and will be told something like "you have to give us all passwords now, so we can check your correspondence before we decide to hire you". Or (even better) send them all even before they consider me for the interview. BTW, I went through background check in past, and it's a really intense one when they talk to neighbors, co-workers, friends, etc. (besides checking records, of course) - in many instances something would of come up if you would be unreliable or potentially dangerous.
I understand your point of view perfectly - mainly because as a conservative I greatly value privacy and resent intrusions on my personal life just as much as you. However, that doesn't change the fact that it is still an employer's right to check out a person to the fullest extent possible. If someone doesn't like it - apply for a job somewhere else. If I ask for a password and an applicant refuses to give it - end of interview. It is no different than giving personal references. I may or may not check personal references, but if an applicant refuses to give them - end of interview.

People aren't "entitled" to jobs. They are offered jobs on the basis of what an employer needs and wants, and a potential employee's ability to perform a job and keep the company's best interest in mind at all times. If a company cannot get comfortable with an applicant, that applicant won't get the job. I would never hire someone who I had even the slightest inkling was trying to hide something - that is one of the things an interviewer looks for - or at least should be looking for.

I'm sure you and others have heard of the incidences of terrorists and criminals that have surfaced in the armed services and in the federal government. That should never happen - people should be checked out thoroughly. I had a Top Secret security clearance while in the Army, and I guarantee you at that time every little iota was checked in my personal life, including discussions with relatives, neighbors, former teachers, and the like. FB has generated nothing new about checking people out for information sensitive or proprietary jobs, or jobs with a high level of fiduciary responsibility. I would further suggest that much of this is also a sign of the times. With the incidence of crime and drugs being what it is, there is more need to check out people more closely than in the past.

The long and short of it is I agree with you in principle, but as the saying goes, extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary actions...
     
    07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
  #37
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
However, that doesn't change the fact that it is still an employer's right to check out a person to the fullest extent possible. If someone doesn't like it - apply for a job somewhere else. If I ask for a password and an applicant refuses to give it - end of interview. It is no different than giving personal references. I may or may not check personal references, but if an applicant refuses to give them - end of interview.
Yes and no. If we are not talking about clearance here, private employer - possibly. However State employer (and may be Federal as well although I don't know for sure) has no right to ask about the personal info (at least in several states I'm aware of) before the final selection is made. Of course, applicant is warned in advance if the further check will be done prior starting the work (so it's up to the applicant to agree or just drop out in the very beginning).

BTW, I have no problem with checking private information IF you pass an interview and selected as a final choice, and such a "check" is the very last "a must" to get a job. However I still think it should be against the law (and it is in MD) to check or request such information before the final decision on applicant made. I don't care for FB and even my emails (as I don't send/post confidential or sensitive data ), but I wouldn't be very happy to share information about my family (how they look like, what school go to, etc.) with some strangers I don't even know. Especially if it comes to recruiters (who seem to be everywhere these days).
Missy May likes this.
     
    07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
  #38
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
Yes and no. If we are not talking about clearance here, private employer - possibly. However State employer (and may be Federal as well although I don't know for sure) has no right to ask about the personal info (at least in several states I'm aware of) before the final selection is made. Of course, applicant is warned in advance if the further check will be done prior starting the work (so it's up to the applicant to agree or just drop out in the very beginning).

BTW, I have no problem with checking private information IF you pass an interview and selected as a final choice, and such a "check" is the very last "a must" to get a job. However I still think it should be against the law (and it is in MD) to check or request such information before the final decision on applicant made. I don't care for FB and even my emails (as I don't send/post confidential or sensitive data ), but I wouldn't be very happy to share information about my family (how they look like, what school go to, etc.) with some strangers I don't even know. Especially if it comes to recruiters (who seem to be everywhere these days).
Certainly at one extreme, it wouldn't be appropriate for a company to do personal checks on every student in a graduating class to decide which ones to pursue, and it would be (or should be) appropriate as a final requisite for sealing the deal. Where between those extremes it would or wouldn't be appropriate would be subjective and a matter of opinion - or a matter of law if there is some law against it like the one you mention in Maryland.

The way I usually hire unless I have someone preselected for a job is to narrow my search down to 2 or 3 people and those are the people I will investigate to determine my final choice. If I get 25 applicants for a job, I'm certainly not going to investigate all 25, and I certainly don't permit HR to screen people for technical jobs...
     
    07-09-2012, 08:24 AM
  #39
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
If I get 25 applicants for a job, I'm certainly not going to investigate all 25, and I certainly don't permit HR to screen people for technical jobs...
Lol! One of the searches I was on had 300+ applicants! Even with downsizing by requirements and education we still had like 30-40 who qualified and went through interview (at least the phone one).
     
    07-09-2012, 10:26 AM
  #40
Banned
Yeah, sign of the times. Pretty sad when you have that many applicants for a job. I would never interview that many, though, unless I just couldn't find a good match after talking to 3 or 4.

As an aside, although I have been retired for a year and a half, one of the things that got obnoxious the last couple years I worked was the number of totally unqualified people that would apply online for a position - just to satisfy job search requirements for their unemployment. They were not interested in getting a job - just officially applying. It is a pain in the butt and waste of time to wade through and discard applications from unqualified people. I never did figure out a way around it, though, other than to search for employees through industry contacts rather than publicly advertising positions...
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Be Careful Doveguy Horse Talk 10 09-07-2010 01:14 PM
You Have To Be SO Careful! writer23 Horse Health 12 05-14-2010 08:03 AM
Be Careful What You Wish For FoxRidgeRanch General Off Topic Discussion 2 04-06-2009 02:02 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0