Cheap people..... - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,167
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
an aside here, but I have never seen bathroom attendants except in Europe. You have them where you are?
Yes, attendants are in the better clubs and venues.
My boss has "green seats" at Busch stadium, for the baseball Cardinals, there were attendants in that area of the stadium. Green seats are the seats where everything is free, there is a great buffet dinner before the game, then anything you want watching the game, then afterdinner drinks and dessert after the game, except the tickets are $250 a piece. He gave me a few sets (4) of tickets a year, That was the best! Section 1, Row 4, the owners of the team had rows 1-3.
Also in the better restaurants, like at the Ritz Carlton or the Chase Park Plaza., they had attendants in the restrooms, the men's too. It has been a long time since I have been out "clubbing" but attendants were at the fancier clubs as well.

I usually got green seat tickets when the weather wasn't the best.

Frank 001.jpg

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is today.
Taffy Clayton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 45 Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37,626
• Horses: 2
I suppose if you can afford those clubs, you can afford to give someone a dollar to hand you a towel. Personally, I'll get my own towel.

However, I think I've seen some of that cheap behavior you all are talking about. Who hasn't? Garage sales are prime examples. The cheaper you price something, the more a person thinks they should dicker for a lower price.
Sometimes it would make me so sick I'd refuse to sell it to them at any price.
Roadyy likes this.
tinyliny is offline  
post #33 of 45 Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,167
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
I suppose if you can afford those clubs, you can afford to give someone a dollar to hand you a towel. Personally, I'll get my own towel.
I answered your question to the best of my ability, was it necessary to get a little jab in there? And for what? I did not feel that it was necessary. In my opinion of course.
updownrider likes this.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is today.
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #34 of 45 Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,750
• Horses: 3
I think that jab was directed more towards the fact that people don't want to tip the attendants. I don't think it was directed at you.

"And somewhere in the northwoods darkness a creature walks upright. And the best advice you may ever get is: Don't go out at night..."
tempest is offline  
post #35 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,957
• Horses: 0
As the person sitting there - it is frustrating to have the "avoiders" ignore us and take the tissue themselves - we are there for a reason, we are paid to give you that piece of tissue. It takes nothing to give a smile and thank you.

As I mentioned, myself and my co-worker do not expect any tips. Tips come at the sole discretion of the customer, and there are far more non tippers than tippers. I am friendly by nature, I am stuck in that room for about 5 hours solid, I look forward to friendly people who come in, take the tissue and acknowledge the fact that there is in fact a person sitting there. A quick "how's the weather" makes the hours go significantly quicker.. and in fact I tell my friendly regulars NOT to give me anything - I enjoy the fact that they make the time for me, and treat me with respect, much more than the €2 they are going to throw my way.

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #36 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Cat
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South of No-where
Posts: 2,693
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
I suppose if you can afford those clubs, you can afford to give someone a dollar to hand you a towel. Personally, I'll get my own towel.
Attendents aren't just at high-dollar places. I've seen them at a few bars up in the city as well. You'll also find them more often in areas that tend to be tourist destinations.

I guess I always figured their job wasn't just to hand off towels but also to ensure the bathrooms maintained a decent level of cleanliness - especially with the high number of people.
Golden Horse likes this.

All I pay my psychiatrist is cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day!

Cat is offline  
post #37 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,957
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Attendents aren't just at high-dollar places. I've seen them at a few bars up in the city as well. You'll also find them more often in areas that tend to be tourist destinations.

I guess I always figured their job wasn't just to hand off towels but also to ensure the bathrooms maintained a decent level of cleanliness - especially with the high number of people.
The Main portion of the job is to hand out tissues, but also keep the place tidy and also "babysit" the customers. For the time we spend there, only a few minutes is to clean - the rest is to sit there with the tissues while keeping an eye on the going on's.. working in a nightclub that includes making sure Betty hasn't fallen asleep in the stall I had to have security break down a door two weeks ago cus a young lass fell asleep, knickers around her ankles in the stall - no amount of banging on the door woke her and it wasn't until they had kicked the door down and shook her did she stir.
Taffy Clayton and FlyGap like this.

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #38 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,197
• Horses: 5
Cheap people .. lol.

There was a -- very wealthy -- man that used to live in our community. He was the loan shark, basically, because he had money, and would lend it .. with interest.

He lived in a little woodframe house with no electricity. He burned his log LONG-WAYS in the fireplace .. sticking out in the living room .. because he didn't want to use the gas in the chainsaw to cut the log into smaller pieces. He ordered water with meals, unless you were buying .. and he knew exactly where he could cut off his engine and coast into "his" parking place at the corner store in town.

They called him "Soup Bone" ... cheapest man I know.
texasgal is offline  
post #39 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37,626
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
The Main portion of the job is to hand out tissues, but also keep the place tidy and also "babysit" the customers. For the time we spend there, only a few minutes is to clean - the rest is to sit there with the tissues while keeping an eye on the going on's.. working in a nightclub that includes making sure Betty hasn't fallen asleep in the stall I had to have security break down a door two weeks ago cus a young lass fell asleep, knickers around her ankles in the stall - no amount of banging on the door woke her and it wasn't until they had kicked the door down and shook her did she stir.

I would never treat you poorly, if I encountered you in a restroom. I think it's a very odd concept, though, and find it a bit uncomfortable, but whatever.

You know, I wonder if you couldn't make it rich by writing an exposee on what REALLY goes on in, through the eyes of the "fly on the wall", the restroom attendent, who so many don't see but who sees it ALL!
texasgal likes this.
tinyliny is offline  
post #40 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,197
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
an aside here, but I have never seen bathroom attendants except in Europe. You have them where you are?

I have seen them ... in TEXAS even! Lol Mostly in Irish or English pubs/eateries...
texasgal is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found this really cheap saddle stand? Why so cheap? ichliebepferde Horse Tack and Equipment 10 04-10-2012 08:57 PM
Rescue people // transport people?? Johnswife Other Pets 4 12-31-2008 09:09 AM
Parelli people, or people interested in it..... Spirithorse Horse Training 6 01-08-2008 08:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome