Chronic, debilitating migranes.. someone please help. - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Chronic, debilitating migranes.. someone please help.

This is a discussion on Chronic, debilitating migranes.. someone please help. within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree6Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-17-2013, 11:05 PM
      #21
    Yearling
    Muppet, it's almost always in my left eye, it's similar to the pain you get if you look really hard one way or push on your eye.. Does that make sense? Lol! They come at random, sometimes I wake up with it, sometimes it hits at the end of the day. They last until I sleep, they barely EVER go away on their own. And medications don't help, Excedrin takes the edge off but it's still a migrane.

    Blue, I'll look into that as well!

    A friend of mine asked me about my wisdom teeth, has anyone experienced migranes from this?

    I really feel like it's hormonal.. But I'm not sure what to do about it. Along with migranes I have:
    Joint pain
    Pelvic pain (right inside my hip on either side, where ovaries are located)
    Recurrent UTIs (3 or 4 in 6 months)
    Elevated DHEA (form of testosterone)
    Heart palpitations, rapid breathing episodes
    High blood pressure
    Low blood sugar
    Weight gain (about 20lbs overweight for my height index)

    I'm sure I'm missing things, has anyone else shared these symptoms?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-17-2013, 11:11 PM
      #22
    Yearling
    Epona and MsLady, I missed your posts!

    I actually am on a gluten free diet! But I have been blood tested and biopsies say I'm not Celiac or gluten intolerant, but we're trying the diet without much success.

    And about Lupas, my mother is very suspicious about it but my SED rate and things have came back normal so my doctors don't think so.

    I'm thinking autoimmune, or hormonal.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-17-2013, 11:16 PM
      #23
    Foal
    Red face

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LovesMyDunnBoy    
    Muppet, it's almost always in my left eye, it's similar to the pain you get if you look really hard one way or push on your eye.. Does that make sense? Lol! They come at random, sometimes I wake up with it, sometimes it hits at the end of the day. They last until I sleep, they barely EVER go away on their own. And medications don't help, Excedrin takes the edge off but it's still a migrane.

    Blue, I'll look into that as well!

    A friend of mine asked me about my wisdom teeth, has anyone experienced migranes from this?

    I really feel like it's hormonal.. But I'm not sure what to do about it. Along with migranes I have:
    Joint pain
    Pelvic pain (right inside my hip on either side, where ovaries are located)
    Recurrent UTIs (3 or 4 in 6 months)
    Elevated DHEA (form of testosterone)
    Heart palpitations, rapid breathing episodes
    High blood pressure
    Low blood sugar
    Weight gain (about 20lbs overweight for my height index)

    I'm sure I'm missing things, has anyone else shared these symptoms?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    My migraines started when I was 13 and I am 49 now. The so called "experts" don't know what causes them but over the years I have expiramented with lots of different recommendations from regular md's and naturpathic types. I also used to have 2-3 x week migraines with the worst ones lasting 5 days (most debilitating at day 3-5). I have not experienced a migraine in the last year. This is what I am taking:

    Cymbolta -- 90 mg
    High blood pressure meds

    Now I do have headaches and I can feel a migraine coming on. I stay away from red wine, wheat and dairy products. My sister is a naturopath and wheat and dairy are really hard on humans.

    I have not felt better in my life with the meds I am on now. Good luck and know you are not alone
         
        08-17-2013, 11:21 PM
      #24
    Banned
    Just because you said, 'squinty watery eye' and 'all the time migraines'....

    image.jpg
         
        08-17-2013, 11:25 PM
      #25
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LovesMyDunnBoy    
    Epona and MsLady, I missed your posts!

    I actually am on a gluten free diet! But I have been blood tested and biopsies say I'm not Celiac or gluten intolerant, but we're trying the diet without much success.

    And about Lupas, my mother is very suspicious about it but my SED rate and things have came back normal so my doctors don't think so.

    I'm thinking autoimmune, or hormonal.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    If you have a family history if Lupus or any other autoimmune disease keep at your Dr. Just because your lab was negative one day does not mean it won't be positive another.
    I really hope you find relief soon, I know how frustrating it is. At my worst, I was in bed, flat on my back for almost 3 months. I do not want to go back there!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-17-2013, 11:38 PM
      #26
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsLady    
    If you have a family history if Lupus or any other autoimmune disease keep at your Dr. Just because your lab was negative one day does not mean it won't be positive another.
    I really hope you find relief soon, I know how frustrating it is. At my worst, I was in bed, flat on my back for almost 3 months. I do not want to go back there!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    My mom had an MRI to check for MS, and that sound vasculitis. Dr said it wasn't a big deal though.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-17-2013, 11:44 PM
      #27
    Green Broke
    Well, this is probably not of much use, but I use to get debilitating migraines after I would overdo it and get heat exhaustion. I mean, I literally couldn't move as it would hurt to walk and my eyes would become super light sensitive. Once I could manage it - I would sip coffee. It seemed to help.
    Needless to say, I try very hard not to reach that point, anymore.
         
        08-17-2013, 11:54 PM
      #28
    Trained
    For some weird reason my migranes have not been bad lately *knock on wood*...

    But mine started about age 11-12, and at first I did not know what they were. My first one I remember I was very light sensitive and could not recall what an "apple" was called, or anything else for that matter and was very dizzy (vertigo) and lethargic.
    I get a variety of weird migranes from that type with almost no pain but lots of confusion etc.. to the extremely excruciating ones you are describing where I basically would like to stab my eyes out and put my head in a vice.
    I've tried to lessen my lactose and gluten intake, cut out artificial sweeteners and ANY fast food. I have also gotten glasses for computer work which lessen the strain on my eyes, wear sunglasses at all times while outside and have attempted to completely eliminate my exposure to florescent lights.
    Among other things.. But I find a trigger and I try to eliminate it. I've taken Advil, Robax and Excedrin and I drink my 8 glasses of water a day, or more.
    If I feel one coming on I consume as much caffeine as is possible, drink water and take Advil or Robax (I find Robax tough if I have to actually do anything though).
    So yeah. You're 17 - it will take you some more years yet to slowly figure out all your triggers, but you'll get there!!
    And if they are a symptom of something greater, you will find it eventually. I would also recommend trying the naturopathic route - I am a firm believer in conventional medicine but also believe that treating things traditionally and with lifestyle changes is better than "take this pill".

    Good luck!
         
        08-18-2013, 12:05 AM
      #29
    Foal
    I too suffer migraines, first one at 8years of age, over the years I have found most of my triggers, and ways to combat them. I no longer take preventative meds however still get the migraine warning symptoms but only full blown ones around 3-4 times per year.

    Food: Onions (biggest trigger for me) most preservatives, artificial colours, too much salt and sugar,, not enough good food or not enough water. I try to eat well avoiding processed foods and stay hydrated

    Body: neck and shoulders out of balance (2nd biggest trigger) Regulators visits to my chrio and or physio

    Strong cleaning chemicals: including some brands of washing powder. I avoid them if possible (use natural products where possible) and use a mask if I must handle them

    Hormonal: I am on the pill to help keep everything in check.

    Low vitamin D: I'm always worse when my levels are low

    Stress: more likely to get one if I'm stressed, but not a direct trigger. Learning relaxation techniques may help

    Fatigue: not enough sleep makes a migraine more likely but not a direct trigger

    And finally early treatment, if I get in quick a simple aspirin/paracetamol and caffeine will stop it, if not I'm in for 3 days in the dark with a bucket
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-18-2013, 12:09 AM
      #30
    Trained
    Yes I forgot laundry detergent!!!

    I have had great success switching away from Tide, Sunlight, etc.. and actually I've found Woolite to be the best and unscented dryer sheets!!
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Chronic ulcers? TheBayArab Horse Health 5 08-01-2013 11:09 AM
    Chronic Diarrhea FITchick Horse Health 8 10-01-2012 04:56 PM
    Help! Chronic Diarrhea Eolith Horse Nutrition 7 07-29-2012 11:28 AM
    Chronic Ulcers Flugelhorse Horse Health 24 11-01-2010 08:32 AM
    chronic cough... hotreddun Horse Health 2 08-29-2008 05:18 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0