Considering Dropping Out - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 80Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: nw NJ
Posts: 5,973
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Delfina said:

A degree is never worthless.

Haven't you heard for decades now, how college grads ended up washing dishes, etc. or had to go into fields not requiring degrees? That's what I've heard.
I agree with Delfina. A degree is never worthless. I suspect there can be other reasons why some college grads end up washing dishes.

A degree can prove to a future employer that you can learn, you want to learn and are disciplined enough to achieve a goal. I have a degree in communications, concentrating on film/radio/tv. I wanted to do something in the film industry.

I've been with the global billion dollar company that I work for now for going on 22 years. I started at a low entry level in sales support, spent time in purchasing and am now responsible for our global IT solutions for our purchasing organization. I pick the solutions, my team develops and supports those solutions. And I am compensated pretty well for it.

All of which have zip to do with the A I got in my radio broadcast class.

I do realize the job market is markedly different from when I entered Corporate America. I truly do.

My point is, a degree can help open the door to some pretty big opportunities that are there for those with a degree. Regardless of what discipline is printed on it.

Good luck to you OP.

Jake and Dai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: With my boys & girl
Posts: 465
• Horses: 0
On the topic of worthless degrees: It depends on what you can make out of them. I got a degree and graduated when the economy plummeted. Though I had highest honors, I didn't have 2-5 years experience and no one would even talk to me. After a whirl of being told I'm either under-qualified (no 2-5 years experience) or overqualified I volunteered and received a low-level (High-school diploma and 6 week course required job). They told me they wanted me for a higher position, but I needed a different degree. So I went back and am getting my associates. BUT since I already have a degree in a related field, once I pass this accelerated program I can get the bachelors equivalent by testing out without having to go through another 4 years. So while I didn't quite use my degree, I can use it to help me along. Plus, by the end I might have enough experience to get hired for the original job I wanted.

On another side note, the company I really wanted to work for now has an opening for the degree I am currently working on, go figure.

That is a whole lot of debt though. Kinda too late to tell you you should have gone in state, so won't harp on you for it.
Kiara is offline  
post #13 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 655
• Horses: 3
Can you use the credits you have to transfer for a different degree at a different college?

I don't think you should rack up another 50k in debt.
Northern likes this.

My personal blog
In which I go on and on about my horses.
ptvintage is offline  
post #14 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Branson
Posts: 4,264
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post

Haven't you heard for decades now, how college grads ended up washing dishes, etc. or had to go into fields not requiring degrees? That's what I've heard.
As with many people, you rely way too much on "that's what I've heard" - otherwise known as water cooler talk. You obviously have a computer...why not check the facts?

Sure, some people never take advantage of having a degree, and some people never go to college and have highly successful careers, but the facts are clear - the average income for college graduates is far higher than the average income for high school graduates.

The OP has a decision to make - the same decision that thousands of young people have to make every day. It is a decision that is far too important to be made on the basis of ignorant street talk. She needs to make an intelligent decision - not an uninformed one. It is her decision to make, but when she asks for advice, we should provide her with helpful advice to help her make that decision - not fill her head with street talk...



Faceman is offline  
post #15 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surry, Va
Posts: 4,712
• Horses: 0
there are lots of worthless degrees, people get them every day and are lucky to get a minimum wage job that they could have got without the degree. The higher wage charts are talking about an average. Thats because some degrees are worth a bunch and raises the average for college grads. No sense for the op to cry over spilt milk, just time to move forward. Id transfer to a cheaper state school, look up some dept of labor statistics see what the demand is and try to match up your existing credits with something marketable.
Northern likes this.
Joe4d is offline  
post #16 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,406
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you studying right now (major)? and why are you at such an expensive school? I mean, if it was just any college degree you wanted, you could get that at a state school for much less. If you are at a high level private school, that requires a really good GPA to enter and good SAT's score, then you must have had some kind of idea of what you wanted out of THIS college, as compared to just any college.

Think back to those reasons and see if they arent' still valid.
Findlay university is now up to 42-43k a year. It's not a private school, it's nothing special. The cost of my degree is said to rise aswell, because of hay and bedding costs. I took out a 31k loan this semester. With an 8% interest rate I have to pay back over 50k.

Findlay is the only college that has the type of equine program I wanted. They set you up to become a show horse trainer. Mainly in the AQHA and APHA world. That is what I wanted. After working for people, showing, training, and traveling. I realized the show world is not where I want to be. I love breaking out colts and helping recreational people. 4h level is as high as I would like my clientele to go. I would love to break out high level show horses, but typically that comes with high level clients. I would also love to open my own small boarding facility one day.

Realistically there is no way I could survive with just that. Even working for an AQHA trainer wouldn't pay my bills. The normal rate is $50 a day. You have no idea how upset I am that so close to graduation I am just now realizing this. I wish I would have thought this through. When I first started my mentality was "ill deal with it later". But now I am stuck with this decision. I am going to spend the next 4 months thinking this through and talking to as many people I can about it. Especially my riding professors.

The damage is already done, now I need to figure out where to go from here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Northern likes this.
.Delete. is offline  
post #17 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 262
• Horses: 1
What about Meridith Manor? Can you transfer????
ChristineNJ is offline  
post #18 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,975
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake and Dai View Post
All of which have zip to do with the A I got in my radio broadcast class.

I do realize the job market is markedly different from when I entered Corporate America. I truly do. .
So, you're another one whose degree had zip to do with how your career unfolded. This fact weakens your point that a degree COULD be of help. With all respect, that's what I got from your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
As with many people, you rely way too much on "that's what I've heard" - otherwise known as water cooler talk. You obviously have a computer...why not check the facts?

You obvously need to quit talking down to me, FM! Plus, YOUR facts, like stats, can be deceptive, as explained by Joe4d.

Why, with all of the people who posted agreement with me here, on the diciness of paying out 50K more for the Equine Studies degree, do you single ME out for such put-downs? Let's hear it.

It is a decision that is far too important to be made on the basis of ignorant street talk. She needs to make an intelligent decision - not an uninformed one. It is her decision to make, but when she asks for advice, we should provide her with helpful advice to help her make that decision - not fill her head with street talk

Then, those in agreement with me have tried to fill OP's head with "ignorant street talk", as well.
I don't appreciate, & I'm sure that others here can see, your abrasive manner toward me.

Last edited by Northern; 01-19-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Northern is offline  
post #19 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 39,017
• Horses: 2
Actually, Faceman's stats prove a new decision you'll have to make;

whether to become a male or not, 'cause that way you'll be sure to make more money!

tinyliny is online now  
post #20 of 51 Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,406
• Horses: 0
Haha ^^^ that just made my day.

As far as Meredith Manor, I couldn't even begin to express how much I dislike that place. Plus, if I already know I am not getting a job in the equine industry, why transfer to another equine school?
Posted via Mobile Device
.Delete. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you think she has dropped or dropping? tanya Horse Breeding 2 04-02-2011 10:14 AM
dropping grain Starlite Horse Health 5 02-25-2011 11:23 AM
Throwing or dropping bit Haulinbass02 Horse Riding 4 08-19-2010 10:15 PM
Not Dropping to Pee? AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Health 2 06-25-2010 03:46 PM
dropping feed chika1235 Horse Health 4 01-27-2010 10:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome