Couponing 101: Saving money, whether you're broke or not. - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Couponing 101: Saving money, whether you're broke or not.

This is a discussion on Couponing 101: Saving money, whether you're broke or not. within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree35Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fulford15    
    This is interesting... I have thought about it before, but honestly, where do I find coupons?? I don't get a newspaper delivered to my house, I am guessing Flyers in the stores? I only grocery shop at SafeWay & Extra Foods. Interested to read/learn more, as I do live in an "expensive town".
    I hear ya... my hometown is San Diego!!!!

    Ok, I generally drive to the corner store for the Sunday paper (x however many I need). My local paper doesn't carry the Redplum insert...so I only get 1 as a mailer...recently I was reading that if you don't want a subscription, you can get them from friends...the local library...the post office...you can form a relationship with a gas station or store for their unsold copies. Or...shell out for a subscription. Ouch!

    A lot of coupons you can also print online. I recommend you only print what you know you will need...products you ALWAYS buy, and also the ones recommended for the sales you are interested in. Otherwise it's a waste of ink.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-06-2013, 03:01 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaphyJaphy    
    Great thread. I've found that in my area, coupons tend to be for processed foods and cleaning products, BUT I have had some success checking out the grocery store's website each week, and buying the produce and meats that are on sale. We don't have places like Trader Joe's and such. In fact, all the grocery stores in town are owned by the same two companies!

    I'm also planning on growing a garden this year, as well as keeping chickens for eggs and meat.
    Lol me too on the garden! I'm having trouble convincing hubby on chickens again for meat, but I may do rabbit. It's HARD HARD HARD to find coupons for produce, and honestly, why bother if you have the time and ability to grow some of what you need? But that's another topic ;)

    The beauty of couponing though is with the internet, you can access the online coupons for just about any region, and they will still be good. I found a coupon for eggs the other day....it wasn't for much, just .55/2....but it was better than nothing, since we use a ton of eggs!
         
        03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon    
    I hear ya... my hometown is San Diego!!!!

    Ok, I generally drive to the corner store for the Sunday paper (x however many I need). My local paper doesn't carry the Redplum insert...so I only get 1 as a mailer...recently I was reading that if you don't want a subscription, you can get them from friends...the local library...the post office...you can form a relationship with a gas station or store for their unsold copies. Or...shell out for a subscription. Ouch!

    A lot of coupons you can also print online. I recommend you only print what you know you will need...products you ALWAYS buy, and also the ones recommended for the sales you are interested in. Otherwise it's a waste of ink.

    Thank you I will take that advice! Yeah... $1800 for a basement suite, I will do anything to save on what ever I can LOL.
    demonwolfmoon likes this.
         
        03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon    
    Lol me too on the garden! I'm having trouble convincing hubby on chickens again for meat, but I may do rabbit. It's HARD HARD HARD to find coupons for produce, and honestly, why bother if you have the time and ability to grow some of what you need? But that's another topic ;)

    The beauty of couponing though is with the internet, you can access the online coupons for just about any region, and they will still be good. I found a coupon for eggs the other day....it wasn't for much, just .55/2....but it was better than nothing, since we use a ton of eggs!
    I have a friend who decided to raise rabbits instead of chickens and found it easier.

    Not only is it hard to find coupons for produce, it's hard to shop for just one person without waste happening! It seems like every time I'm at the grocery store, I think I eat way more than I do At least there are more people around in summer, so I can share things from my garden, or do trades for things I don't grow/raise.
    demonwolfmoon likes this.
         
        03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    Subbing. My BFF has tried to get me into this stuff, maybe it will be presented in a way my brain can handle here!
    Part of the problem now, for me, and possibly more of us.. we live in the country... it's 20 miles to town, which I only do about 1x per week, more like 2 at times, since I work from home... Very hard to shop sales when they are all over and far... and I agree, most things are stuff we don't use... but I would love to donate to local bank/pantry if I could ever get a storehouse going!
         
        03-06-2013, 03:41 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Cool thread idea! My mom is a couponer, and I am so impressed with the hauls she comes home with.
         
        03-06-2013, 03:41 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Subbing! My man and I need this thread and like Graci said, I too need it presented in a manner that I will understand. Hopefully now I will have time to cut coupons and so some searching too.

    Few questions:
    1. Do you plan your meals out for the week so you know what you have to buy?
    2. There is only my man and I living together and all we really need coupon help with is food, how often can we find good usable coupons for food? In your opinion?
    3. Do you keep a binder? If you do, how do you organize it? (the organization is where I am lost hte most at)
         
        03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
      #18
    Showing
    I need to start sound this.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
      #19
    Yearling
    Subbing in :)
         
        03-06-2013, 06:30 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowgirl928    
    subbing! My man and I need this thread and like Graci said, I too need it presented in a manner that I will understand. Hopefully now I will have time to cut coupons and so some searching too.

    Few questions:
    1. Do you plan your meals out for the week so you know what you have to buy?
    2. There is only my man and I living together and all we really need coupon help with is food, how often can we find good usable coupons for food? In your opinion?
    3. Do you keep a binder? If you do, how do you organize it? (the organization is where I am lost hte most at)
    1) No way, I never plan my meals unless the hubby is going to cook something special. The only thing we "plan" at this point is fresh stuff like meat and milk.

    2) You can definitely find plenty of coupons for you and your man, IMO.

    3) Ok here's the crux...coupon binder. Eww. If you googled the Krazy coupon lady on the right hand side of the screen, somewhere around the middle is a link for "Coupon Binder"....

    They have a complete printout of each section "needed" for a good, complete coupon binder, so each tab, the front....etc.

    For me, I'm a newb and I'm lazy, and honestly I didn't want to walk around with a binder. I use: http://www.amazon.com/C-Line-13-Pocket-Expanding-Includes-58412/dp/B004Q9VJGK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362608933&sr=8-3&keywords=coupon+organizer
    I have it marked with a tab for each of my favorite stores, then "food", "frozen", "Kids" etc.

    HOWEVER....I'm growing out of that thing awful fast, and so while it's a good place to start, you may find, like me, that a binder is probably the way to go.
         

    Tags
    coupons, finances, frugal, saving

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Saving money, not as easy as it sounds!! LOL Klassic Superstar Horse Talk 23 01-28-2013 09:48 PM
    Money saving tips snoggle Horse Talk 13 04-11-2011 06:21 PM
    Saving Money is AWESOME RidingTowardsGrace Horse Talk 6 03-23-2011 12:00 AM
    Money saving ideas! Brumby General Off Topic Discussion 7 04-30-2009 09:25 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0