Gay Marriage Is going to Supreme Court! - Page 11
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Gay Marriage Is going to Supreme Court!

This is a discussion on Gay Marriage Is going to Supreme Court! within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree127Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
      #101
    Yearling
    I'm a straight male who rides English who often gets confused for being gay, because I ride English and I'm apparently ever so slightly feminine... so here is my take on gay marriage:

    I don't care. As long as I don't have to see it or be a part of it, I don't care. I don't know why other people care what other people do in the privacy of their bedroom or on the kitchen table if they want! It's not like there are gay people having sex in the middle of Time's Square forcing everyone to watch. I just shudder to think about the time, the energy and the money being spent on this whole issue. Who cares! People need to worry about their own life, and not worry about what Jane and Jackie or Ted and Tom are doing in their bedrooms.
    Allison Finch likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
      #102
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KayceeJo    
    It is simply because it is not Biblical. Marriage is a sacred pact between a man and a woman. Not two people of the same sex. It is things like this that make me extremely worried about our country. I support a marriage that is between a man and a woman, created by God, defined by God.
    Oh geez... I am so sick of the Bible thumping. Glad you support your own marriage. I support my own marriage. As I keep saying my God is not your God, just as my relationship with anyone else on this planet is not the same as yours. Why do you put what your God is onto me? What gives you the right??? Who are you to do that?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KayceeJo    
    The other thing. I know that this is a very important topic, but there seem to be more pressing matters at hand for the Supreme Court to spend there time worrying about.
    Oh yeah???? Like what? What could be more important to you? I'm sure there is so many things that you worry about. Maybe we should just ask you what needs to be presented next?
         
        03-28-2013, 01:36 PM
      #103
    Green Broke
    Should we also took at WHY "traditional" marriage is heterosexual?

    Simply put, women had ZERO rights and were always seen as "weaker" then men.

    Prehistoric man... Of course men were physically stronger/faster. No denying that! Women linking up with men would have offered protection, meat, shelter. Basic necessities. In return a woman could offer children baring and rearing, gathering food, etc. Sounds basically like a watered down version stereotypical marriages, huh?

    Fast forward to civilization. Women still not seen as equals to men. They cannot own businesses, property, vote, etc. They are basically view as property as of the family or husband. Basically to do anything with her life a woman needs a man.

    Fast forward to the 1800s .Women are still stuck in the domestic and subservient frame work. They were finally able to have jobs. Education was unimportant. They had no place in law and couldn't vote. Plus families NEEDED to have many children to help look after farms and to help look after the family.

    Today.... Beside eggs and sperm men don't need women and a woman is not reliant on a man. Not even for the physical act of conception or maturation of a fetus. Of course we didn't see gay marriage back then. It really wasn't practical! Now with advancing technology neither gender needs to rely on the other. For anything.

    This is probably why the EMERGENCE of homosexuality is rather new. A few hundred years later its "breaking out" and now people are looking to rectify it. Homosexuality is not cultural phenomenon! The only thing that is new is looking for the equality of homosexuality.

    Homosexuality is NOTHING new to society, and even if it WAS illegal (because it is different then the norm) it doesn't mean people weren't still practicing it!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Allison Finch likes this.
         
        03-28-2013, 01:48 PM
      #104
    Trained
    Well... Since common morals and religion are no longer accepted as valid considerations in forming a society's laws and procedures...

    I believe we should get rid of the marriage license, the tax credits, the federal benefits, etc. The government should have no say in who or how many or what people marry. It obviously doesn't help create lasting healthy bonds, why bother?
    Financially it's prudent to charge for licenses, it pays for lawyers, Judges, etc, great idea guys, but no thanks.

    If anyone wants to share or leave anything to someone else they must write up a legal contract. If they want their kids or spouse taken care of THEY NEED TO SAVE the money themselves. If they want to get "married", then it should be nothing more than a ceremony celebrated in front of God, and/or family, and a signed legal document.

    Problem solved.

    I agree with you KayceeJo, that the supreme court, the lawyers, and the government have far more pressing DANGERS and ISSUES to address right now.
    Missy May likes this.
         
        03-28-2013, 01:57 PM
      #105
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BaileyJo    
    I don't get why we keep going back to Iran. We are not in Iran. Btw, saying the majority rules is slowly going out the window as more and more people support gay marriage. That's an old crutch that people continue to use to defend their positions.

    All I know is that when I make a committment to someone, whether it is a man or a woman, I want the same rights that are allowed anyone else. Whether you think I should be married in the eyes of God, or not, it makes no difference. I don't take up a heterosexuals place at the alter. When I do get married, it will not be in the eyes of your God anyway. It will be in the eyes of my own.

    Also, I make it important that I ask if you know any gay people. I mean, really know them and have befriended them. This is important because what it does is opens your mind to their stuggles and how they live their lives. You know their children, you know their jobs and how they save for retirement and build a house and life together. It is not so distant for you.

    Until you really know a situation, both sides, can you make a decision. Dare I say that even an Uncle or a nephew is too distant as many are not that close. Do you know their partners? Do you know their struggles? You can claim to know someone who is gay, but until you really know someone and their lives day by day, you can't form any kind of real educated opinion. Except for, I don't like it because the Bible says it isn't so.
    Lets see. The poster I was responding to asked why I mentioned Iran. I explained, perhaps you chose not to read it. Either way, what I do and do not mention is not limited by what you feel I should be allowed. Or, should freedom of speech only apply to those that support gay marriage???

    Also, the poster I was responding to is under the impression we live in a democracy - not I. I am fully aware of the government structure under which we live in the US (i.e., it is not I that am completely unaware of our government structure - it is they).

    It has been my experience that most often is the case that people make straw man arguments b/c they can't defend their position w facts. I have not referenced the bible in support of my position. Please make a note of it.

    Really educated opinion? I don't think anyone that believes we live in a democracy can form an educated opinion on anything regarding US laws (which necessarily includes marriage laws), regardless of who they rub elbows with! And, I darn sure wouldn't call them "enlightened".
         
        03-28-2013, 02:07 PM
      #106
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlyGap    
    Well... Since common morals and religion are no longer accepted as valid considerations in forming a society's laws and procedures...



    I agree with you KayceeJo, that the supreme court, the lawyers, and the government have far more pressing DANGERS and ISSUES to address right now.
    Whose morals??? Oh yeah.... your morals. Oh and religion is man made, translated by humans. It is not God. It is the church. And totally used as torque to manhandle and push across agendas. We truly have no idea what God feels about anything.

    Leviticus was written over 3500 years ago. Why in the world has everything evolved around it but people still take things so literal from it? Do you know all the other laws in Leviticus? Here they are. Please pick and chose which ones you like best....

    http://leviticusbans.tumblr.com/post/23730370413/76-things-banned-in-leviticus

    Hmmm.... getting tatoos is on the list. Think I will condemn all who have a tatoo.

    Again, I am sure you Supreme Court is waiting to hear what agendas are important to you. What DANGERS and ISSUES are you referring to? Just because you couldn't care less about same sex marriage doesn't mean it's not important to anyone else. That is so closed thinking.
         
        03-28-2013, 02:10 PM
      #107
    Trained
    I also believe that family and community needs to start protecting their family units again. Back in the day if a man didn't take proper care of his family the woman's relatives would take him out back behind the woodshed. Or a man's parents would disinherit him. We didn't NEED the government to step in and help out.

    The current set up of all social programs/protections leaves very little incentive to remain married, actually I believe the current laws are financially disenfranchising. Why remain married when you can leave your family and let them qualify for food stamps, medicare, free lunches, and single parents get higher tax deductions?
    Missy May likes this.
         
        03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
      #108
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KayceeJo    
    This is rediculous. All of this same-sex this and that is unbelieveable. I do not in any way understand. And my biggest problem with it is not the people. Just think on what Rick Warren said, “Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense."

    Just becuase I am against same sex marriage is not becuase I don't like the people. It is simply because it is not Biblical. Marriage is a sacred pact between a man and a woman. Not two people of the same sex. It is things like this that make me extremely worried about our country. I support a marriage that is between a man and a woman, created by God, defined by God.

    The other thing. I know that this is a very important topic, but there seem to be more pressing matters at hand for the Supreme Court to spend there time worrying about.
    To me, and many others, this is a pressing issue. Just like Obamacare is a pressing issue to people with no healthcare. Just like creating more jobs is important to people who don't have one. Everyone has priorities and personally I have health care and a job so I'm not super worried about either. War and debit, those go without say are also very important.

    Gay people aren't looking to infiltrate the RELIGIOUS side of marriage, only the LEGAL side. Yes, same sex marriage is recognized according to STATE laws. There are over a thousand federal benefits gay's want that the state doesn't provide.

    This is NOT about religion, which should be separate from government anyway! Just because YOUR religion doesn't allow it, why should that be the law? Should we also make it illegal to eat meat on Friday? What about fine companies for operating Sundays, after all it is a holy day?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
      #109
    Trained
    BaileyJo, I am not enforcing or dictating MY religious or moral views on anyone. READ MY POST, the answer is NOT ALLOWING the government dictate or support or approve or allow who, what, and how many ANYONE can marry.

    YOUR argument is intrensically flawed because YOU are inserting YOUR moral and theological views on the subject.
         
        03-28-2013, 02:17 PM
      #110
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Missy May    
    . Or, should freedom of speech only apply to those that support gay marriage???
    Yes, the same way that only freedom to marry is given to heterosexuals. How does it feel?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Supreme Court upholds health care law kitten_Val General Off Topic Discussion 151 07-04-2012 07:40 PM
    Marriage described through a horse race - Warning, vulgar language!! mliponoga Jokes and Funnies 10 12-21-2010 09:49 PM
    Pre arranged marriage? LOL Heybird Horse Pictures 7 12-21-2009 06:56 PM
    Court Venue rider4life422 Horse Law 5 06-22-2009 06:16 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0