Gay Marriage Is going to Supreme Court! - Page 14 - The Horse Forum

 127Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 226 Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,067
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGap View Post
You say it's unfair that because the fed dosen't acknoledge GBL's and Hets get added benefits, so we need to change the law. I say take ALL the benefits away, therefore we are all equal. You are twisting things around and arguing for the sake of arguing.

Is the twisting around your referring to examples? Like I just wrote at the bottom, taking all rights away from everyone if fun to dream about but it will never happen.

IT IS self-centered to try and make things EVEN when the time and effort should be to eliminate the governments involvement in marriage. Especially when it's going to further burden our system, but oh well. The political party supporting and supported by GBL's will be the last one to eliminate the taxes, breaks, and benefits that are unfair AND will add more taxes in the future. So lets not do the RIGHT thing, regardless of the ramifications, at least we will all be equal!

Just please explain to me how allowing gay marriage will add aditional taxes? I seem to be missing the reasoning behind this one.

Of course my DH was with me, as you could be with your DW. It dosen't take super powers to schedule and plan, which I am all for. That's what I said.

Of course planning is one way around things, but planning is not the same as having FMLA. This isn't the only advantage to don't forget... there are over 1,000 others

If we took away the governments power over our marriage to make things EQUAL then we may lose some entitlements or "rights". Like I said, schedule, no big deal. We did it.
Then what would be the point of marrying someone?

Honestly, thinking that the goverment will take away all rights so all relationships are seen as equal would be eye opening, if not ideal, but there is no way anyone would let that happen. Ever.... though it is quiet fun to dream about.
SlideStop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #132 of 226 Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 8,318
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyJo View Post
Yes, the same way that only freedom to marry is given to heterosexuals. How does it feel?
So "yes" you feel only gays should have freedom of speech as your above post indicates. How does what feel? I didn't advocate other's right to an opinion be limited to only those that agree w me, nor did I completely misrepresent what anyone had stated. I don't champion oppression as you do ... and as they do in Iran.

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
Missy May is offline  
post #133 of 226 Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 609
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
So "yes" you feel only gays should have freedom of speech as your above post indicates. How does what feel? I didn't advocate other's right to an opinion be limited to only those that agree w me, nor did I completely misrepresent what anyone had stated. I don't champion oppression as you do ... and as they do in Iran.
Have you ever heard of sarcasm? My post was sarcastic.

I can't even respond to this type of post. It's posted just to confuse people.
BaileyJo is offline  
post #134 of 226 Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,292
• Horses: 0
So, BSMS, if marriage is only for a man and a woman who are planning to raise children, I guess we should also ban couples marrying who do not plan to have children (no benefits for YOU!) and especially ban marriage between people who are too old to have children (No benefits for you!!).

Your view on the reasons for marriage are awfully narrow. I guess love and companionship cannot be factored as reasons for wanting a marriage.
BaileyJo likes this.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #135 of 226 Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,886
• Horses: 3
Did not read all of the posts and I probably should as they are mostly likely amusing if nothing else. I am old school from a small town. Gays were unheard of, made fun of and very much not someone you would associate with!

Than my best friend's son told us he was gay. He is now 17 and has been "out of the closet" for several years. How do you stop loving someone you have known for so many years because he is "different" than you?

I still don't understand it but I don't understand lots of things and still live among them. I have two very dear friends "lesbians" who joined a saddle club we belong too. I love them dearly!

I don't care to see public signs of affection between people (any people) but I am no longer a homophobic and if a couple wants to marry, who am I to judge?
WickedNag is offline  
post #136 of 226 Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,067
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNag View Post
Did not read all of the posts and I probably should as they are mostly likely amusing if nothing else. I am old school from a small town. Gays were unheard of, made fun of and very much not someone you would associate with!

Than my best friend's son told us he was gay. He is now 17 and has been "out of the closet" for several years. How do you stop loving someone you have known for so many years because he is "different" than you?

I still don't understand it but I don't understand lots of things and still live among them. I have two very dear friends "lesbians" who joined a saddle club we belong too. I love them dearly!

I don't care to see public signs of affection between people (any people) but I am no longer a homophobic and if a couple wants to marry, who am I to judge?
Beautiful post! This sums it up perfectly, being gay/lesbian is just a small blip on the map of who a person really is. Bravo!
WickedNag likes this.
SlideStop is offline  
post #137 of 226 Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,292
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNag View Post
Did not read all of the posts and I probably should as they are mostly likely amusing if nothing else. I am old school from a small town. Gays were unheard of, made fun of and very much not someone you would associate with!

Than my best friend's son told us he was gay. He is now 17 and has been "out of the closet" for several years. How do you stop loving someone you have known for so many years because he is "different" than you?

I still don't understand it but I don't understand lots of things and still live among them. I have two very dear friends "lesbians" who joined a saddle club we belong too. I love them dearly!

I don't care to see public signs of affection between people (any people) but I am no longer a homophobic and if a couple wants to marry, who am I to judge?
Well said Wicked!! Familiarity does NOT have to breed contempt!

WickedNag likes this.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #138 of 226 Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,824
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch View Post
...Your view on the reasons for marriage are awfully narrow. I guess love and companionship cannot be factored as reasons for wanting a marriage.
We aren't discussing all the reasons someone might WANT to marry, but why society might want to recognize marriage and make it a part of public law. That was done, before the Bible was written and now, FOR THE GOOD OF THE CHILDREN. That was why many states had tough divorce laws.

Once marriage is divorced from that concept, and just becomes about feeling good and emotional involvement, then marriage - THAT type of marriage - has no meaning for the state. Years ago, a cop friend of mine in Tucson told me of a homeless guy known for 'loving' his Nike shoe...in public! I don't much care what someone feels or what acts they perform with a Nike sneaker, but that isn't the institution of marriage that has been around for thousands of years. Nike shoes don't produce offspring.

And while there have always been heterosexual marriages that didn't produce children, most did - and THAT was what the STATE cared about - a stable family unit that produced a stable next generation.

If marriage is about 'love', then people OUGHT to be able to marry their dogs or horses. Most dogs are a lot more lovable than most humans, and I have a higher regard for a lot of horses than a lot of folks, too. Marriage, as a state institution, isn't about love. If a man decides he loves another man's wife, and she loves him, should they both divorce and marry each other? Until the 60s, the answer was no - and it was no because of the impact on children (and to a lesser extent, on women). That impact was what justified state involvement. The state cares no more about who you love than I do...

"There goes Earl!"
bsms is offline  
post #139 of 226 Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 609
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post

If marriage is about 'love', then people OUGHT to be able to marry their dogs or horses. Most dogs are a lot more lovable than most humans, and I have a higher regard for a lot of horses than a lot of folks, too.
Sure why not! If that is your thinking then why not? Why don't we just let people marry their cars and their own mothers, brothers or fathers? If this is how twisted your argument gets then yes, let's all go for it! (sarcasm, here, in case anyone doesn't see it)

What you are FAILING to understand throughout the course of this thread is we are talking about two consenting adults! Not children, not molesters, not horses, cows, sheep or dogs. Your arguments falls FLAT on its face when you say marriage was designed to procreate. I guess that 50 year old woman who lost her husband to cancer doesn't get to marry again, or the 60 old man. Or the fact that some people who have never had children should not have ever married. Who aren't you out there picketing against them?

I just don't get these cardboard flimsy arguments that amount to nothing but marry your horse, or they should be married to have children. Oh and also, the Bible thumping! Let's always keep that on the stove.
BaileyJo is offline  
post #140 of 226 Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 609
• Horses: 0
Sorry for the double post, but had another point.

STOP comparing the love I have another as for the love I have for a dog. I don't compare the love for your wife, or children, as the same for a dog, do I? It's actually quite rude, mean and bullish.
Allison Finch likes this.
BaileyJo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supreme Court upholds health care law kitten_Val General Off Topic Discussion 151 07-04-2012 07:40 PM
Marriage described through a horse race - Warning, vulgar language!! mliponoga Jokes and Funnies 10 12-21-2010 09:49 PM
Pre arranged marriage? LOL Heybird Horse Pictures 7 12-21-2009 06:56 PM
Court Venue rider4life422 Horse Law 5 06-22-2009 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome