Gay Marriage Is going to Supreme Court! - Page 8
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Gay Marriage Is going to Supreme Court!

This is a discussion on Gay Marriage Is going to Supreme Court! within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree127Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-27-2013, 11:08 PM
      #71
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BaileyJo    
    Why is it when I defend myself and post it is a rant? That's funny.

    I was referring to Missy May, not you.

    Don't worry, Those who disagree with some people here all get the same treatment.
    BaileyJo likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-27-2013, 11:17 PM
      #72
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BaileyJo    
    Gays have a real point here in the US.

    My guess is that you are very far removed from gays. You don't know anyone who is gay, don't have a daughter, or son, or father or mother, sister or brother who is gay. You speak as if we are so much different from you. We are not. Who are you anyway to tell me how to feel, how to love and what band wagon to get on? We want the same thing as you do. In the end, truly, we want to be happy and be owed what is ours. I have paid my taxes, contributed to society and led a good life. If you have someone that you know and cared about who has struggled with this, you would not tell them get on some Iran band wagon.

    This case ultimately comes back to an 83 year old woman who spent 40 years with her partner, built a life together, may have paid more taxes than you, was married in the eyes of her state and then when her partner (life-long partner) dies, has to pay over $363,000 in inheritance tax. Probably on the same money that she helped put away for retirement.

    Why do I, as a born American, have to defend anything to you or anyone else? What I do does not effect you. When it does, we will meet on the street and I will sit down and you can explain how my life has effected yours.
    Hmmm. Do you gleen all of this about me b/c I have a different opinion than you concerning the current laws and gay marriage? I have a few friends that I call metro-sexual b/c I am not quite sure what they are, and what their preference is is, in fact, NONE of my business and I don't ask them or anyone what there sexual preference is, do you?

    I know an entire family of heterosexuals that were left in years and years of probate and estate turmoil b/c of a family member's "non will action" before their death. The fact that heterosexual marriage is legal didn't seem to help them out any, go figure. Inheritance tax does not only apply to gay people, and there are multiple laws that allow for methods to prevent or reduce inheritance tax, none of which exclude gay people. If the argument is that gays only want to dictate the one and only way to skin a cat, then to what else should we also apply their dictation of the laws?

    To my knowledge there is only one thing gay people can't do, however, heterosexuals can't do it EITHER...which is marry someone of the same sex. So, the law applies to everyone equally.

    Gays really lose credibility when they put forth the idea that the only "injustices" in this country are those things that affect their specific wants/needs and perspective. Currently, that appears to be benefits. I don't feel both houses, the president and justices should be excluded from obamacare laws. It is far from equal treatment (law). Yet, what dominates the news is gays trying to change marriage laws to suit gays. There is no question gay groups are well organized. I admire them for that, however, it is they that do not consider others, not the other way around. When it came to aids they orgnized to demand faster action. Lets see, faster action? They didn't think the inequitable amount spent (e.g., much greater amount spent on aids per capita vs cancer) was enough and that scienctific research and progress should go faster than "other stuff" based on the fact it affected gays? I could go on and on. But, the idea that this is a poor put upon group just doesn't play in peoria.
         
        03-27-2013, 11:21 PM
      #73
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allison Finch    

    The issue before the Supreme Court is whether, or not, the Federal Govt. Will recognize same sex marriage. That is a whole new can of worms.
    Yes!! That is why this woman in the Supreme Court and not the New York state court system!

    Like I said, it is going to change. Whether you have an uncle, think there should be civil unions, think I am ranting..... whatever. It's going to change. History repeats itself.

    How would people look now to be defending "no color" at schools or restuarants, carrying pickets signs and holding rallies. Fifty to sixty years ago it was the norm. Can you actually believe that?
         
        03-27-2013, 11:24 PM
      #74
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Missy May    
    Hmmm. Do you gleen all of this about me b/c I have a different opinion than you concerning the current laws and gay marriage? I have a few friends that I call metro-sexual b/c I am not quite sure what they are, and what their preference is is, in fact, NONE of my business and I don't ask them or anyone what there sexual preference is, do you?
    Seriously, you call that knowing a gay person? Not even close.
         
        03-27-2013, 11:31 PM
      #75
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allison Finch    
    ...The issue before the Supreme Court is whether, or not, the Federal Govt. Will recognize same sex marriage. That is a whole new can of worms...
    Then WHY is it before the Supreme Court, and not Congress? Is it because your side thinks they have a better chance persuading 5 justices to make the law than the elected members of Congress? Since when has the purpose of the Supreme Court been to pass new laws?

    Why do liberals always want COURTS to make up new laws to do what they want? Afraid of democracy?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BaileyJo    
    ...How would people look now to be defending "no color" at schools or restuarants, carrying pickets signs and holding rallies. Fifty to sixty years ago it was the norm. Can you actually believe that?
    Ever hear of the Civil Rights Act, passed by Congress (largely by Republicans, BTW)?
    Missy May likes this.
         
        03-27-2013, 11:44 PM
      #76
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BaileyJo    
    Seriously, you call that knowing a gay person? Not even close.
    What is your point here?
         
        03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
      #77
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsms    
    Then WHY is it before the Supreme Court, and not Congress? Is it because your side thinks they have a better chance persuading 5 justices to make the law than the elected members of Congress? Since when has the purpose of the Supreme Court been to pass new laws?

    Why do liberals always want COURTS to make up new laws to do what they want? Afraid of democracy?



    Ever hear of the Civil Rights Act, passed by Congress (largely by Republicans, BTW)?

    Why is it before the supreme court?


    The Supreme Court of the United States has the ultimate responsibility for settling disputes and interpreting the meaning of laws. It also determines what national policy will be when it applies law to specific disputes.
    I would think you knew that.

    Role of the Supreme Court | Scholastic.com

    While they probably won't say same sex marriage is guaranteed by the constitution, they CAN say that laws banning it are in violation of the protections implied by the constitution. The same way that slaves were freed, women could vote etc.
         
        03-28-2013, 12:19 AM
      #78
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Religion doesn't have anything to do w the law.
    DOMA, The defense of marriage act. Is that not a law that has everything to do with defending marriages? How are we definitely the word marriage here: a traditional religious ceremony wedding a man and woman. What does this mean? There is a LAW defending religious marriages. The law states

    "Under the law, no U.S. State or political subdivision is required to recognize a same-sex marriage from another state. Section 3 of DOMA codifies the non-recognition of same-sex marriages for all federal purposes, including insurance benefits for government employees, Social Security survivors' benefits, immigration, and the filing of joint tax returns."

    Now how can anyone here read the above and say "Just get a civil union!" The LAW clearly states gay people WILL BE EXCLUDED FROM THE BENEFITS OF MARRIAGE! If civil unions are the same we wouldn't be having this debate. I don't give a rats fart about a religious ceremony quite honestly, I just what the same benefits everyone else gets to share!

    Quote:
    Then there is "marriage" itself. With a legally binding contract a gay couple "legal obligations" are no different than a married couple. So, we get to the "ceremony" of it....which anyone can organize...or is it the religious ceremonial part that they also want b/c religion is so evil? It is well established a legal "union" by legal contract won't satisfy their desire to be "legally bound" to someone. So, the "love" part is a non-argument, since all it boils down to is financial/medical benefits.
    For your first point please see the above. Next, obviously no one will be able to force any private religious institution to marry anyone. Period. If you think that this is the reason behind this whole gay marriage thing your SADLY mistaken.

    Not exactly sure where you got gays think religion is evil from....? My girlfriend was raised with religion, my best friend was raised with religion and I know several couples with children who also follow faith. I in no way shape or form think religion is evil. I for one was never raised with religion, not for or not against. As a younger adult I find myself gravitating towards religion. It leaves a bad taste that they nit pick over stupid things, but that's just my opinion. I do like to believe there is a God. A person who will judge me biased on my moral character, not on who I love.

    And yes, it does come down to financial/medical/etc type things. I (will be) working **** hard as an RN to provide for my family. I have no interest in physically having kids and having kids is one of my girlfriends biggest dreams. Guess who's going to be brining in the benefits? Me. Why SHOULDN'T she be covered? Bottom line is love is already there!



    Also, what does IRAN of all places have to do with ANYTHING here. They are still working on equal rights for women... Which happened about 100 years ago here. Instead of me looking at Iran why don't you look at Argentina (2010), Belgium (2004), Brazil, Canada, Denmark (happiest people in the world, seriously), Iceland, Mexico, Netherlands (one of the first), Norway, Portugal, south Africa, Spain, and Sweden. Now most of these countries are on OUR level! Not backwards Iran, really??
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-28-2013, 12:24 AM
      #79
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Missy May    
    What is your point here?
    Because I don't think assuming and labeling two men as "metro-sexual" counts as knowing, really knowing, gay people.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-28-2013, 12:26 AM
      #80
    Showing
    Metro-sexual =\= gay.

    Good lord. Please play again.


    I am so looking forward to the day when we can look back on this as being as ignorant as prejudice against black people or people of colour.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Supreme Court upholds health care law kitten_Val General Off Topic Discussion 151 07-04-2012 07:40 PM
    Marriage described through a horse race - Warning, vulgar language!! mliponoga Jokes and Funnies 10 12-21-2010 09:49 PM
    Pre arranged marriage? LOL Heybird Horse Pictures 7 12-21-2009 06:56 PM
    Court Venue rider4life422 Horse Law 5 06-22-2009 06:16 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0