Another update. I just came back from the Drs. Office where we got another little setback. My breathing has been worse for the last day or two and my right lung isn't fully filling with air in the bottom so we had to go for another x-ray. It's either another pneumothorax or fluid. We'll find out late this afternoon if it's something that will resolve itself, OR...as Dr. Buice said, he'll put me in the hospital, run me down to surgery, knock me out and stick in a video camera to see what the heck is going on. And then it's either back to a chest tube, or he'll aspirate fluid. So we wait. And I play on the computer while Jim is fixing my lunch. I keep telling myself it could have been a LOT worse. I'm actually pretty comfortable as long as I don't do anything that requires breath! LOL
I've stopped the prescription pain meds and I'm down to tylenol or advil - 22 days post wreck. I'm doing WAY good.
I asked and he said to play it safe and not think about getting on a horse for at least 3 months. He also said that I might not even feel like it then because I really wrecked my chest. There goes my October plan. Between the flail chest, ribs and sternum, he expects me to be dealing with pain issues for at least a year. HAH! He doesn't know the Johnson girls and their tough mama.... It takes a LOT to keep us down! He also gave me a referrel to an orthopedic surgeon for my shoulder for an evaluation.
So... I'm sitting and waiting and I'll let you know when I know. It is really wonderful to have friends who care and to whom I can reach out at any time of the day or night through this computer.