How to deal with attitude from employees - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

How to deal with attitude from employees

This is a discussion on How to deal with attitude from employees within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Snappy employees.
  • How to deal with snappy employees

Like Tree31Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-19-2013, 06:44 PM
  #11
Trained
Hopefully you have been keeping the GM updated on these issues-so that he/she is not blindsided by them. You need to talk to the GM and make it clear what J wants and how you have tried to deal with it. I was a manager for MANY years, doing schedules, since I was the nurse in charge of a 64 bed unit. Someone will ALWAYS be unhappy. All you can do is your best to accommodate their requests, which, should be in writing and submitted per company policy, unless it is an emergency. If the employee has something come up-then THEY are responsible for switching with someone to cover that shift. Period. The company/patients cannot suffer. In fact, in nursing, you can lose your license if you leave without proper coverage. It is called abandonment.

Document as you have been advised.....altho, I will tell you I took one employee into a stairwell one day-no witnesses.....said what I needed to, and clearly told them I never said this.......lol and they never questioned it and straightened up. They knew it was my word against theirs, and they had been written up numerous times, so had one foot on a banana peel.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-19-2013, 07:32 PM
  #12
Green Broke
Fire the first person that is insubordinate. No questions no discussion. The other two will get the hint. Stop being a friend and be the boss. The company went bankrupt in part with those three onboard. Think about that.
boots likes this.
     
    05-19-2013, 07:34 PM
  #13
Trained
Joe-without proper documentation you cannot simply fire someone, unless it is something like a no show.
     
    05-19-2013, 08:33 PM
  #14
Foal
Oh the GM was blindsided alright. We just had another new one start yesterday. And Joe4d- why the company is bank owned now has nothing to do with employees the owners just decided to quit paying their mortgage. Since then, 2 of people were fired and J and S were hired to replace them.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-20-2013, 08:36 AM
  #15
Green Broke
Did the GM have good input or support? I know you can't give details, but I hope the GM was/is able to help.
     
    05-20-2013, 10:21 AM
  #16
Foal
She was not happy with J. She also called later to get A's input on the situation and A told her that J was very negative and she didn't really like working around her anymore.

J has become very catty and know-it-all with other employees and she recently told a customer to get out of the office and come back and 730 when the office is open. I can honestly say I flipped over that when A told us everything J has been doing without us knowing. Now, I know our job can be stressful but it is not difficult.

I did decide to switch up the schedule. It will be monthly instead of weekly. It will come out the Monday before the month is over and everyone has 2 days to get back to me if they need days or shifts off. After that, its up the everyone else to get someone to cover their shift if they want it off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skyseternalangel and boots like this.
     
    05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
  #17
mls
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
Joe-without proper documentation you cannot simply fire someone, unless it is something like a no show.
Depends on the laws in each state.

In MN we have at will employment. You can be released from your job at anytime.
     
    05-20-2013, 12:03 PM
  #18
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls    
Depends on the laws in each state.

In MN we have at will employment. You can be released from your job at anytime.
Yes and No. Yes in at will states (I live in one too) you can be released at any time by law. The NO comes into play because people like to sue. To protect themselves from losing in court they are essentially forced to build a case for firing the employee first. Only time they don't have to spend time building a case is when an employee does something stupid like stealing, fighting, not showing up, etc. as those are grounds for immediate firing.

Here's where employees still have their employer over a barrel. Think you're in line to be fired due to poor performance? Go tell them you have a drinking/drug problem (even if you don't) then go to rehab. That will wipe your slate clean and basically give you immunization for 6 months or you can claim retribution.
     
    05-20-2013, 08:14 PM
  #19
Foal
Ok so after speaking to the GM we came with solution. When I tried to talk to J about she got super snappy and rude again. And I saw red-which is hard to make me do. I told her that everyone bent over backwards to make the schedule work for her and she cannot talk to me the way she did and she needs to cut the attitude right now. She fired back with she doesn't like my attitude and how I single her out and that the schedule wasn't fair.

I told her any agreement she had with the previous GM was not passed on to me and she needed to talk to me about it and she said she assumed he told me when he had me start the schedule. I said no you cannot assume anything right now you needed to tell me when I started making the schedule. She kept insisting she had and all I ever got from her was a note saying she had an agreement with 2 GMs and she refused to talk to me after that.

Then I changed some of our policies because of something she had done that cause a complaint. When I was telling everyone she started saying if that's how it was going to be then everyone but her needed to this and that and be sure to do this too. At this point I was so livid with her, I told her no this is how it is and left.

Talking with the GM again tomorrow about all this :( it takes alot to make me see red and I'm that mad I never yell or get snappy- I talk slower and lower so I know I didnt go off on her or attack her in way why she was yelling
Posted via Mobile Device
boots likes this.
     
    05-20-2013, 08:35 PM
  #20
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx1990    
Ok so after speaking to the GM we came with solution. When I tried to talk to J about she got super snappy and rude again. And I saw red-which is hard to make me do. I told her that everyone bent over backwards to make the schedule work for her and she cannot talk to me the way she did and she needs to cut the attitude right now. She fired back with she doesn't like my attitude and how I single her out and that the schedule wasn't fair.

I told her any agreement she had with the previous GM was not passed on to me and she needed to talk to me about it and she said she assumed he told me when he had me start the schedule. I said no you cannot assume anything right now you needed to tell me when I started making the schedule. She kept insisting she had and all I ever got from her was a note saying she had an agreement with 2 GMs and she refused to talk to me after that.

Then I changed some of our policies because of something she had done that cause a complaint. When I was telling everyone she started saying if that's how it was going to be then everyone but her needed to this and that and be sure to do this too. At this point I was so livid with her, I told her no this is how it is and left.

Talking with the GM again tomorrow about all this :( it takes alot to make me see red and I'm that mad I never yell or get snappy- I talk slower and lower so I know I didnt go off on her or attack her in way why she was yelling
Posted via Mobile Device
Time to make an example. She's challenging you so badly that if you don't you're going to lose all respect. I don't know about your state, but in most, insubordination is an immediate firing offense.
boots likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barn Employees starlinestables Barn Maintenance 14 09-12-2010 12:08 AM
Incompetent Employees :( kmacdougall Horse Talk 17 05-15-2010 08:07 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0