How do you overcome your own prejudices? - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

How do you overcome your own prejudices?

This is a discussion on How do you overcome your own prejudices? within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree52Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-24-2013, 02:48 AM
      #41
    Trained
    I can't think of any prejudices I have against a particular type of fellow creature. I wouldn't own a Chihuahua, but I don't have a prejudice against them - I just feel sorry for them. Well, Okay ... rats. It is possible they are loving, responsible, misunderstood, and on all taking birth control. But, if I ever actually saw one in my house, I don't think I could look past my preconceived ideas of them as disease carrying, prolific, filthy things long enough to find out.

    I have long since noticed that the words of people that want everyone to know how "not prejudice" they are which they accomplish by either announcing themselves as such and/or unjustifiably attacking someone/something for being "prejudice" - often don't jibe w their actions. Ugh. I just take people on an individual basis. I don't have to prove anything, much less that I am "not" prejudice.

    The meaning of "prejudice" is different from "dislike". I dislike people that are so impressed with themselves they assume I should be, too. That is a personality trait and generally can't be discovered w/o talking/listening to someone. I will waste no energy on trying to look past such undesirable "personality traits".
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-24-2013, 03:43 AM
      #42
    Green Broke
    The more I read this thread the more curious I am about what your prejudice is.

    I second the not hugging thing. Touching strangers is not cool. Whenever people touch me or hug me I have to literally say to myself in my head "this is okay, act like a normal person". My prejudice - okay it's not really, it's just a plain dislike - that I just remembered is those people in shopping malls that touch you when you walk past to try to sell you things like hand cream! They are horrid.

    Skye, I kind of get what you mean about coloured horses. Whenever I see a coloured horse I kind of wonder if it's a good horse or if it's just perceived as it's colour rather than it's actual quality. Whenever I see bays though I think they're good because they're so ordinary they have to be good or they wouldn't be wanted. Probably why I have two bays.
         
        10-24-2013, 04:35 AM
      #43
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saskia    
    Skye, I kind of get what you mean about coloured horses. Whenever I see a coloured horse I kind of wonder if it's a good horse or if it's just perceived as it's colour rather than it's actual quality. Whenever I see bays though I think they're good because they're so ordinary they have to be good or they wouldn't be wanted. Probably why I have two bays.
    Yeah it can be kind of ridiculous when the only reason people like a particular horse, or even OBSESS over it, is due to its colour. Drives me crazy.. people get so crazy around Sky cause he's huge AND coloured all flashy. He wouldn't get nearly as much attention if he was plain grey.
         
        10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
      #44
    Green Broke
    I disagree that people cannot have a prejudice about a trait (like tattoos, for example). People have prejudices about such things every single day. People can have a preconceived notion about an individual based on tattoos, the way they dres, etcetera. That is the definition of having a prejudice xD
         
        10-24-2013, 02:33 PM
      #45
    Weanling
    If it is something random that appears in all types of people, like freckles, I don't want to say phobia cause that is mostly fear, but it seems to fit mor than prejudice or preference.
         
        10-24-2013, 06:45 PM
      #46
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Yeah it can be kind of ridiculous when the only reason people like a particular horse, or even OBSESS over it, is due to its colour. Drives me crazy.. people get so crazy around Sky cause he's huge AND coloured all flashy. He wouldn't get nearly as much attention if he was plain grey.
    You know what? This is it. Entirely. I have absolutely no preconceived notions about what somebodies abilities or personalities might be, but I just don't feel good around them. Your horse is no better or worse for the colour and size and people don't really think he is any better or worse -- just that he attracts their POSITIVE attention. These people that I have "issue" with attract my NEGATIVE attention.

    It's like listening to a radio interview where the interviewee has a really annoying voice -- I just turn the radio off. I don't think the person is anything. I just don't like their voice.

    So, I guess I am not prejudiced. I just don't like that characteristic. Has nothing to do with the person. I don't expect the person to do or not do anything; to be capable or not capable of anything; to be anything. I just see him/her and think "ick." Hmmm... such is life. So, I can choose to get to know the people and deal with my little problem or I can choose to not associate with them at all and therefore, I don't have to deal with my little issue. I guess in the end, it would be my loss if the person is super-terrific and I have missed out on knowing them because I can't deal.
         
        10-24-2013, 06:49 PM
      #47
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zexious    
    I disagree that people cannot have a prejudice about a trait (like tattoos, for example). People have prejudices about such things every single day. People can have a preconceived notion about an individual based on tattoos, the way they dres, etcetera. That is the definition of having a prejudice xD
    Well, sort of I agree. In that, a preconceived notion could arise, but not necessarily unreasonable. What type of personality do you think would have a tattoo of a rose that is visible? Maybe any type. But, what if the tattoo is not a rose, but a chain and knife on a forearm and the person wears a shirt that doesn't cover it? That would tell me that the person is confident in who they are and maybe even a bit aggressive in their personality. Or maybe had a really good party and ended up with the tattoo. Certainly this person is not likely to be a conservative, insecure, mousy type. So, IOW, someone that I would probably like.
         
        10-24-2013, 07:08 PM
      #48
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zexious    
    I disagree that people cannot have a prejudice about a trait (like tattoos, for example). People have prejudices about such things every single day. People can have a preconceived notion about an individual based on tattoos, the way they dres, etcetera. That is the definition of having a prejudice xD
    I would call a tattoo "taste" - not a "trait". One could have a prejudice against someone that sports a tattoo or by the art they choose to hang their walls. It is visible and external. But, a personality "trait" isn't visible, so one could have a "preconceived opinion" of a personality trait - but could not determine if a given individual had a specific personality trait w/o getting to know them on an individual basis.
    NorthernMama and flytobecat like this.
         
        10-29-2013, 08:42 AM
      #49
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Missy May    
    I am still trying to figure out what a "heavy American accent" is, exactly. At first I automatically assumed it was one of the many extremely irritating accents one finds in the N. East. But, you eliminated any of those multiple "candidates". So if those (any found in the N East, all w varying degrees of irritating) don't qualify, what does??
    I guess it's a similar perception to how American's think Australian's talk. All like Julia Gillard or Steve Irwin... when no, we don't! We all immediate think of a heavy southern accent when we think of American's, and I know this isn't true of all American's, but I suppose its just what we're exposed to
    I will always remember the time an American tourist was standing under a gum tree, video camera in hand saying "This is an Australian drop-bear"... and proceeding to shake the branches trying to get a poor koala to 'drop'. (for you information, they don't 'drop'... except their poo!)

    Skyes, I am the opposite to you. I'm a real tom boy, in a group, I will ALWAYS go to the blokes first. Girls intimidate me, I hate nasty catty rubbish, talking about shopping, nails and make up. I'd much rather be mucking around with the boys, laughing at fart jokes and arm wrestling
         
        10-29-2013, 03:23 PM
      #50
    Weanling
    I have been told I have a heavy southern accent, I don't think so. But I have had people call me just to hear me talk.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Can this fear be overcome? AZRJ New to Horses 37 01-28-2014 05:52 PM
    Stereotypes about NH and how to overcome them Saranda Natural Horsemanship 42 12-20-2012 02:50 PM
    Has Anyone Overcome This Problem? My2horsies Horse Talk 3 01-18-2012 02:03 PM
    How to overcome fear...if it's a habit AllThePrettyHorses Horse Riding 12 10-03-2011 12:06 AM
    Hmm, how to overcome being spooky. ilovemyPhillip Horse Training 17 11-06-2009 04:37 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0