I need work advice before I go crazy...(long rant) - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 83
• Horses: 0
I need work advice before I go crazy...(long rant)

Ok, so I am 24 and have been working since I was 16. I worked at a daycare for 5 years, I have been a nanny/babysitter for several families, I have worked summer camps, and I worked for a quadriplegic.
I currently am a nanny for a 5 year old boy and have watched him for a year. I love him to pieces but at times it really sucks for a few reasons:

1) I don't even make minimum wage and my overtime pay is just above minimum wage (I work several hours of overtime per week. I don't get asked, they just show up late). If I clean their house I get an additional $5-$10 per week which is so not worth it because they are slobs. They don't put food away or shut cabinets when they are done and they don't even clean their toilets, they just replace them frequently.

2) I don't get along with the mom (or the momster as I call her). She spoils the kid rotten, still wipes his butt for him, makes deals when he throws fits and most of the time lets him hit, kick, etc. When I tell her if he has had a bad day she shrugs it off and looks at me like I am lying or it's my fault.

3) They want me to take him places but most of the time I don't get paid for gas so gas comes out of my pocket as well as any food I get him when we are out.

Just the other day the quadriplegic contacted me asking if I would like to work for her again. I would start in 5 weeks. While I am waiting for more details I let the kid's parents know that there was a chance I might be switching jobs, just so they would have plenty of notice. Well the mom is being a b**ch about it. She's basically saying that I need to make a decision now and she's already looking at putting the kiddo in full-time school next week which means I would be out of work for at least a month while I waited for the other job to start. I told her that I'm not even sure I would go with that job, but she's still acting all pissed off and implying that I may lose my job for even thinking about switching. I thought I was doing the right thing by giving them the heads up, but now I am regretting it.

I am torn between the 2 jobs. Working for the quadriplegic would be more fun and less drama. She is my age and we get along well. The pay would probably be at least $3 more per hour, maybe even $5 more per hour. But I am a bit worried that I would lose the job sooner than I would the nanny job. The nanny job I would have for at least another year, longer if they get pregnant (they have been trying for awhile). With the quadriplegic, I randomly lost my job because she pulled herself out of therapy and moved away (she is moving back into town in 5 weeks). So there are pros and cons to both jobs.
I need to go with the one that is the most stable and makes more sense financially. But neither one have both the stability and the pay. I have several animals and if I lose my job I don't know how I will feed them.
Where I live now I have had really bad luck with job searching. I went over a year being unemployed and I applied for at least 2-3 jobs per day.
So currently these are my only 2 options and I really need advice.
Sorry for the long rant!
Wildfire89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 7,109
• Horses: 3
Work for the quadriplegic and save yourself the drama. I am sure that you will end your days feeling better about yourself. =D
towboater likes this.

A Jack and Three Queens, the latest book by James C. Dedman, Amazon.com
Hope that you fall in love with "Trot", like I did! http://www.horseforum.com/general-of...queens-617793/
Corporal is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,482
• Horses: 2
Not sure about your state laws and your profession. It's quite possible they are illegal in not paying you minimum wage or OT worked so there's the possibility of recovering back wages. I would at least contact your state labor board and find out where you stand in the eye of state law.

Again, not knowing your state laws but if they let you go there's the possibility of getting unemployment out of them. Look into that.

Last of all, don't stay in a job where you are treated like crap, expected to spend your own money with no reimbursement and you are unhappy. Personally I would take the other job in a second.

Now comes the last piece of advice. Employers are all to often not loyal to their employees anymore and that quadriplegic has proved she's not. Don't worry about looking for work while employed by her, she's left you once already so if you leave her for a better job.. karma's a bitch. I would only worry about leaving an employer that's showed me they are loyal to their employees and there's not to many of those out there.
Corporal likes this.
Darrin is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 4,840
• Horses: 2
The family you are with now do not deserve your loyalty. Go for less drama & more money!
Missy May and towboater like this.
Cacowgirl is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,286
• Horses: 1
I'd definitely take the job offer, even if it means a few weeks of unemployment. The nanny job sounds terrible. I try to avoid getting myself into debt, but in this situation I'd try and live as frugally as possible and put any necessities on credit in the interim. You could also put off telling them that you've accepted the new job as long as possible (two weeks notice is plenty of time, and probably more than they deserve...) If they fire you on the spot then you're down to just 2 weeks between jobs.
verona1016 is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 83
• Horses: 0
I think the mom is actually hoping I take the other job. Like I said, we don't see eye-to-eye and I have felt before like she was looking for an excuse to let me go. I get along well with the dad. We are on the same page with discipline and I think he likes that I don't coddle his son like his wife does.
I think the mom has been wanting to let me go, but the dad has said no. And this is a perfect excuse for her to get her way, and would explain why less than 24 hours after me saying that I MIGHT take another job she has already looked into putting her son into full-time school.
Wildfire89 is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,475
• Horses: 0
Take the other job and keep an eye and ear out for what you are looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device
LadyDreamer is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surry, Va
Posts: 4,712
• Horses: 0
if you are not even making minimum wage why even bother ?
Joe4d is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 4,303
• Horses: 4
Go talk to the dad since he has been the force keeping you there. See if he will work with you to keep you til the other job kicks to repay you for all the extra you have put into his son.

I am Second
Born Once, Die Twice. Born Twice, Die Once.
Roadyy is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 08-28-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 83
• Horses: 0
Originally Posted by Roadyy View Post
Go talk to the dad since he has been the force keeping you there. See if he will work with you to keep you til the other job kicks to repay you for all the extra you have put into his son.
Honestly, I don't know how much say he has anymore since I did open my big fat mouth about possibly taking another job.
He got home from work today and basically did a bit of damage control after his wife acted so bitchy this morning. I guess she has been talking about putting the kiddo into full-time Montessori school which would cost a pretty penny. She said from the get-go that they can only afford to pay me ~$125 a week for full-time care, but yet she has had 2 Mercedes and now drives a volkswagen.
And James (the dad) mentioned a comment she made recently "well she (meaning me) is getting married soon" and I'm fairly certain that wasn't meant as a good thing as far as my position goes. I'm thinking she was using that as another reason to let me go. I asked him if I turn down the other job if I would still have a job watching the munchkin and he couldn't say for sure.
I am really stressed over the whole thing. I don't know what job is the right one to go with. I would definitely have more fun and less drama with the quadriplegic. She is a really cool girl and there is so much less pressure.
I just worry about losing that job again. What happened last time was her boyfriend came over on one of the nights I was taking care of her and while I was doing laundry they got high. He was supposed to help me get her into her wheelchair for therapy the next morning but he had kept his high up throughout the night and couldn't get out of bed, and as a result she missed therapy and she wound up quitting and moving in with him. They aren't together anymore and she has grown up a lot, but I still worry that something might happen again.
It might be worth the risk tho, at least I won't have to feel like I am on the verge of getting fired like I have been for months at my current job.
Wildfire89 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barn Rant -- Crazy owner xGirugamesh Horse Boarding 23 08-11-2013 09:39 PM
confused and going crazy! (Work vent) whalegirl General Off Topic Discussion 0 07-29-2013 04:05 PM
Sheplers Customer Service *Long, long, super long rant!* HollyLolly Horse Talk 18 02-18-2013 04:04 PM
wish did NOT work out! she is crazy! myboydoc Horse Riding 8 09-24-2008 06:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome