Inmates Rights in Prison? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Inmates Rights in Prison?

This is a discussion on Inmates Rights in Prison? within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Name inmates rights

Like Tree122Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-13-2012, 01:13 AM
  #21
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians    
Prisons are full of people who are impoverished, minority, uneducated, and have issues with drugs and alcohol. They have for the most part received no positive reinforcement in their lives.
What they should have received was a bullet to the brain housing group. Then rehabilitation would be complete.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-13-2012, 01:16 AM
  #22
Showing
I have a bit more experience than most regarding this subject. I worked inside a Texas state prison for over 5 years and I can tell you, many of those inmates have it much easier than many of us outside.

They don't want to work at their assigned job? They go to the prison shrink and cry about how stressed they are having to stand around watching a huge pot of hard-boiled eggs cook or they cry to the clinic doctor about how the repetitive sweeping motion make their back hurt terribly. They purposefully stick their hands in hot water to make them irritated and then they claim that "they can't work with any form of cleaning chemical".

They do whatever they have to in order to do nothing but sit around all day in the dayrooms and watch TV (no ppv or porn in TX, just basic cable; local nbc, cbs, abc, fox, tnt, and 2 espn channels).

The Windham School District offers high school, GED, and college courses for any inmate that wants them so if they remain uneducated, it is by their own choosing.

What many people don't realize is that recidivism is high because they choose to repeat the crime because doing the time is easy. I've had numerous inmates tell me that. Many say "Yes, I know what I did was illegal, but you know what? As soon as I get out, I'm going right back to it because it's easy money. If I get caught, oh well, it's easy time too".

That's the truth for the drug dealers and others like that. As for the child molesters, the rapists, the spouse abusers; they'll go back because they can't stop. It doesn't matter how much therapy or counseling or medications they are "required" to have, they will always be a chester or a rapist or an abuser. They don't think they have a problem. If they did, then they would be going out of their way to help themselves...which they never do.

I have seen things and I know things about people that would make your blood curdle. Stuff that makes anything they report on the news seem like kindergarten playland.

So, no, I don't feel that they deserve TV, or anything else that they don't absolutely work their own asses off for. They **** sure don't deserve to have 4-5 hours a day of rec time with weight machines and basketball courts.

And, no, I am not one of those "all people who break the law deserve death" types either. I know people make mistakes, what I judge a person on is how they handle their incarceration. If they mind their business, do their work, and treat people with the respect that they deserve, then they got nothing but respect from me. However, inmates like that are the extreme minority. Most of them want to do nothing but run their mouths and show their junk and try to puff themselves up in front of their buddies.
     
    05-13-2012, 01:42 AM
  #23
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot    
What they should have received was a bullet to the brain housing group. Then rehabilitation would be complete.
This statement is without reason and has no place in this discussion.
Are you that ignorant and full of hate?
We are discussing humans here not rabid dogs.
Tianimalz and ShinaKonga like this.
     
    05-13-2012, 01:55 AM
  #24
Trained
SmRobs I do not beleive that inmates have it easier than you or I.
I am sure that you have seen first hand the mess our criminal justice system is in.
If punishment only is not working then we must try something else.
This country spends billions to incarcerate millions.
Sending inmates out into soceity without changing the behavior that got them imprisoned will only cost us more.
The therapist that I knbow who work in the system tell me that not only do the prisoner resist treatment but so do the prison officials.
Treating people as humans is important to the individual as it is to soceity.SMRobs thanks for your insightful post. Shalom
     
    05-13-2012, 01:58 AM
  #25
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
I have a bit more experience than most regarding this subject. I worked inside a Texas state prison for over 5 years and I can tell you, many of those inmates have it much easier than many of us outside.

What many people don't realize is that recidivism is high because they choose to repeat the crime because doing the time is easy. I've had numerous inmates tell me that. Many say "Yes, I know what I did was illegal, but you know what? As soon as I get out, I'm going right back to it because it's easy money. If I get caught, oh well, it's easy time too".

That's the truth for the drug dealers and others like that. As for the child molesters, the rapists, the spouse abusers; they'll go back because they can't stop. It doesn't matter how much therapy or counseling or medications they are "required" to have, they will always be a chester or a rapist or an abuser. They don't think they have a problem. If they did, then they would be going out of their way to help themselves...which they never do.
Smrobs, that's pretty accurate.
My brother is a cop, and my two best buds are former DOC, and I hear the very same things.
Still think Prison is a deterrent?
Guess not.
3 hots and a cot, lumpin on the couch watching tv all day, whining to get out of work.
Hmmmm.....
Real productive.....
These jamokes have mastered the art of manipulation, to gain a care free life on someone else's dime, namely we tax payers.
Again, I reiterate, amp up the PAIN and attitudes will change.
I also don't think that hanging them all is the solution, but I think a few very public hangings would be an amazing catalyst for changing the attitudes of criminal minds.
smrobs likes this.
     
    05-13-2012, 02:15 AM
  #26
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians    
Prisons are full of people who are impoverished, minority, uneducated, and have issues with drugs and alcohol. They have for the most part received no positive reinforcement in their lives.
These issues along with high unemployment among minorities has resulted in high crime rates in that portion of soceity.
Without addressing these issues locking some one up is not going to solve anything.
Up until that post, I at least understood your reasoning, although I disagree with it.

But that post is over the top.

Here is a newsflash - THE LAW ABIDING population is "full of people who are impoverished, minority, uneducated, and have issues with drugs and alcohol. THEY have for the most part received no positive reinforcement in their lives".

Their is no dang difference between an honest person and a criminal other than the criminal is a criminal.

I am sick and tired of the criminal element making excuses like poverty or race or lack of an education for their criminal behavior. I mean no disrespect to you personally, but that is a bunch of bull hockey. When I was 16, I left home, was uneducated, didn't have a dime or clothes or anything to my name, and had some, shall we say, bad habits picked up from my hippie friends. 12 years later, in 1975, I had served a hitch in Vietnam, had 3 degrees and a six figure income, a wife, 2 kids, and a home in the suburbs.

Sorry, but I ain't buying that one bit...
MN Tigerstripes likes this.
     
    05-13-2012, 03:06 AM
  #27
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians    
SmRobs I do not beleive that inmates have it easier than you or I.
Not to be rude but you need a reality check..and it's extremely offensive to say that our service members have it easier than inmates. Are you kidding?? I don't even know what else to say to you because I am EXTREMELY offended by all of your posts in this thread. Smrobs is EXACTLY right in what she's stated..and you not ever have been in a prison setting or have had that first had experience you have NO idea what it's like..It's not "Poor stressed inmates, let's baby them so they'll try to be good citizens when they reenter the real world."...Uh, no. It doesn't work like that..And I'm 99.9% positive every inmate would laugh reading your posts and think "What the heck are they thinking?"..
kitten_Val and Ripper like this.
     
    05-13-2012, 04:54 AM
  #28
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman    
Up until that post, I at least understood your reasoning, although I disagree with it.

But that post is over the top.

Here is a newsflash - THE LAW ABIDING population is "full of people who are impoverished, minority, uneducated, and have issues with drugs and alcohol. THEY have for the most part received no positive reinforcement in their lives".

Their is no dang difference between an honest person and a criminal other than the criminal is a criminal.

I am sick and tired of the criminal element making excuses like poverty or race or lack of an education for their criminal behavior. I mean no disrespect to you personally, but that is a bunch of bull hockey. When I was 16, I left home, was uneducated, didn't have a dime or clothes or anything to my name, and had some, shall we say, bad habits picked up from my hippie friends. 12 years later, in 1975, I had served a hitch in Vietnam, had 3 degrees and a six figure income, a wife, 2 kids, and a home in the suburbs.

Sorry, but I ain't buying that one bit...
I have complete respect for your personal experience Faceman; in fact, my experience is actually somewhat similar as I left home young and am now working my second degree. I do somewhat disagree with your position, however. In my experience, people very rarely follow a different path than their parents. I've had friends with parents who could not be classified as productive members of society, those friends roughly followed the same path. I've had friends whose parents were both highly educated, they're now highly educated. I've had friends whose parents are moderately successful but uneducated, again, they followed the same path. Obviously those are just my highly unscientific observations, but I do see a general consistency. For whatever reason, a child almost undoubtedly mimics their parents life. I would think it's totally learned behaviour, and that should be taken into consideration when a person is being rehabilitated in prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot
What they should have received was a bullet to the brain housing group. Then rehabilitation would be complete.
If you're serious, that's a very sad comment on the state of society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot    
Oh boy, dbarabians's fantasy world must be exploding right about now that someone with first hand experience actually chimes in.
These types of comments are completely unnecessary in a discussion between mature adults.
     
    05-13-2012, 08:14 AM
  #29
Trained
Agree totally with SMrobs and the others that the change that is needed is a bit more "discomfort" for the prisoners. Work is a great start. Why are we not having them dig ditches, clean up roadsides, etc in EVERY state? Just makes good sense to me. They are way to comfortable, which is why many of them are repeat offenders.

Dh-you live in a fantasy world, IMO. I too am offended by you actually not seeing that many of the prisoners have it better than many of the working poor in society as well as the military. The Navy SEAL I was proud to know slept in many places in his career that would have made the prison look like the Hilton. The meals he had as his rations at times also made prison life look **** good. Yes, it was his choice to serve and defend the freedom we all have, including the idiots in the prisons! And he was proud to do it. Prison is easier than the military, otherwise more of the guys there may have chosen a different "career path". That alone should be food for thought.

One problem with the prisons is the shrinks who these guys can go whine to and manipulate. They need to be told in no uncertain terms, life is tough, and you have a choice. Put on your big boy boxers and deal with it like many folks to and stop taking the easy way out-in prison. They don't have to wake up every day and wonder where there next meal us coming from, whether there is a roof over their heads, or whether they are safe, even. The reality is they are safer than many working people are in their own homes! Oh-and no, not everyone can be helped, even with counseling and therapy. They have to want it, which many of them do NOT. Why would they? Life is easy where they are.
     
    05-13-2012, 08:46 AM
  #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind    
I have complete respect for your personal experience Faceman; in fact, my experience is actually somewhat similar as I left home young and am now working my second degree. I do somewhat disagree with your position, however. In my experience, people very rarely follow a different path than their parents. I've had friends with parents who could not be classified as productive members of society, those friends roughly followed the same path. I've had friends whose parents were both highly educated, they're now highly educated. I've had friends whose parents are moderately successful but uneducated, again, they followed the same path. Obviously those are just my highly unscientific observations, but I do see a general consistency. For whatever reason, a child almost undoubtedly mimics their parents life. I would think it's totally learned behaviour, and that should be taken into consideration when a person is being rehabilitated in prison.


I agree, but that is exactly my point. The fact that many people overcome obstacles and adversity to lead a productive and successful life is proof that it can be done, and is proof that those obstacles are NOT valid excuses. If no one ever pulled themselves out of the abyss, then perhaps those could be used as excuses, but that is simply not the case.

I worked with the "underserved" community for 15 years while with the federal government, most of which were in the blighted Mississippi Delta region in Arkansas, consisting of poor, uneducated minorities. I worked directly with the people and with community and church leaders, and know first hand the difficulties you point out. It is a complicated issue, particularly with people coming from several generations of ignorance and poverty, because ignorance tends to beget ignorance as you obviously know. However, those with the character and motivation to get out can and do get out. I personally know and have worked with lots of people who escaped the fate of their parents and grandparents and are very successful - and likewise I know many that put forth a half hearted effort (or no effort at all) and have spent their lives scratching out an existance from government assistance and crime.

While I am knowledgeable, sympathetic, and empathetic with those obstacles and adversities, and the effort, character, and determination it takes to overcome them, I do not, and never will, accept those obstacles as excuses or justification for murder, rape, stealing, doing drugs, or any number of other crimes. There is no justification beyond poor character and the refusal to put forth the effort...
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what are my rights? what can I do? moderncowgirl Horse Law 47 02-19-2012 05:20 PM
The Prison Stable caseymyhorserocks Horse Stories and Poems 2 11-05-2011 06:08 PM
My rights? caligirl70 Horse Law 22 07-25-2011 10:22 PM
Where are the prison retraining programs, please? Star Freedom Horse Training 1 07-13-2010 07:54 AM
Prison Break hotreddun Movies, Music, and TV 6 10-25-2008 11:58 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0