Isn't it our nature to fight? - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-25-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 206
• Horses: 1
Isn't it our nature to fight?

This question goes out to all of you against war and/or fights - including myself!
Anyway, all animals fight. We're a mammal, therefor an animal. Some of us do indeed fight and some of us are against it. Why is that?
Brianna6432 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,010
• Horses: 3
Just like animals, people are all different! You have those who would rather hold hands and skip around in fields, and you have the dark side...


... we have cookies -lures-

I've got a lovely bunch of Neuticals,
There they are all standing in a row

Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head
PaintsPwn is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
It is our nature to be 'human'.

It is our 'ego' that fights. Animals do not have 'ego' and that is the difference.
Mercedes is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 206
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
It is our nature to be 'human'.

It is our 'ego' that fights. Animals do not have 'ego' and that is the difference.
I fail to see your view,
Sorry, but I disagree there. :/
Brianna6432 is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
I think what mercedes means is that what humans fight about has nothing to do with what animals fight about. People have evil in them and in some people that evil overcomes the good and they try to destroy others with it. Then we have a choice to flee from evil or fight against it. Evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. I think most people are against war especially those that have seen it first hand but it is sometimes needed to insure freedom. I worked with a man that had been in Iraq and had seen some downright awfull things. So awfull that it effected his mental health. He stated many times that it was worth his and others sacrifices to give the people a chance at freedom.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,527
• Horses: 1
I think it's more competition than anything. I take animal psychology classes and love to learn everything I can about how and why animals operate, the thing I'm most fascinated by is animal intelligence.

I will agree with Mercedes, but at the same time someone else can disagree. She is right in alot of ways. Because animals don't have "egos", they might test the animal in charge of the herd when they get a bit testy, but it is not because of their egos.


I guess I don't understand what your asking, who is against it? You mean against war? If that is what you mean, mammals don't plan or have wars. I'll quote (I don't remember who said it though) but.. "Humans are speciesests, meaning we put our own needs and wants inhead of other species needs". Which in the big picture is so true 0_0


White Foot is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Foot View Post
"Humans are speciesests, meaning we put our own needs and wants inhead of other species needs". Which in the big picture is so true 0_0
It's less true of humans than any other species on earth. Do lions think about the welfare of a gazelle? Does a shark think about the welfare of the fish it eats? I care for several horses, a dog and some cats every day. I wouldn't put their lives ahead of my own but I take care of them.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,527
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
It's less true of humans than any other species on earth. Do lions think about the welfare of a gazelle? Does a shark think about the welfare of the fish it eats? I care for several horses, a dog and some cats every day. I wouldn't put their lives ahead of my own but I take care of them.
I think I worded that wrong, idk. I mean to say that - To be honest I don't know where I'm going with this but..

Animals only take when they need to survive. The definition is speciesist: "the notion that human animals are superior to other animals." Which is so true because that's exactly what we think. Speciesism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Humans have very different motives than animals do. Hmm I'm going to stop now because I have no idea where I'm going with this.


White Foot is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 333
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna6432 View Post
Some of us do indeed fight and some of us are against it. Why is that?

Because as humans, we don't run off of instict like other animals.

We are sentient beings. We have the ability to make decisions, to form coherent thought processes.

We aren't like animals in the sense that we MUST fight for our food, territory and mating partners, although many humans do. Our intelligence allows us to approach life situations in logical manners, rather than by animal instinct.
Hali is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna6432 View Post
I fail to see your view,
Sorry, but I disagree there. :/
If you fail to see the view, then how can you disagree with it?

There, I just gave you an example of human ego...yours. You've disagreed for the sake of disagreeing because your ego doesn't understand a concept and is therefore afraid of it. Animals don't have ego, they simply are.

When people 'become', the ego no longer controls them, or their actions.
Mercedes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh, the glory of nature. smrobs General Off Topic Discussion 13 01-12-2010 12:44 PM
Vida is a freak of nature Vidaloco Horse Talk 5 11-02-2009 07:26 PM
Icelandic horses and nature! Heavy! Sissimut-icehestar Horse Pictures 12 11-02-2009 05:59 PM
I have discovered Joshie's true nature. Spyder General Off Topic Discussion 24 07-15-2009 09:54 PM
Don't mess with mother nature!! horse_luver4e Horse Health 19 02-21-2008 05:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome