Jobs.... >.<
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Jobs.... >.<

This is a discussion on Jobs.... >.< within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-10-2009, 07:10 PM
      #1
    Super Moderator
    Jobs.... >.<

    So I totally need to find a job but I'm having the hardest time ever.
    Most of the jobs I see I'm not qualified for (ex. Needs a college degree, I'm in college now) or they involve being a cashier. I have no issue with being a cashier besides the fact that I'm absolutely horrible at counting money. At the camp I worked at I had a few opportunities to do cashier type stuff and every time there would be at least one person who gave me a large denomination bill and I'd give them a very small one back because I got my brain confused. People always told me and I'd apologize profusely and fix it but I don't think a real employer would be pleased.

    I've tried being a house sitter/pet sitter and people really like my skills at that and I have quite a few return customers but not enough to actually get ahead with.
    I've also tried housecleaning but each time I've done that (5 times) I haven't gotten called back after the 3rd-5th cleaning (I have no idea what goes wrong, I think I do a really good job for a good price but whatever).

    I'm really great with people, everybody always seems to like me. I just need something that's going to keep me interested and that's not a cashier job.

    Any ideas? Do you think advertising to run errands for people, like doing their grocery shopping for them or something, would get customers?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this! =)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-10-2009, 07:57 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    Are there any animal shelters in your area that has paid staff? If so you might check into being a kennel assistant it's the dirtiest part of the shelter but you get rewarded by lots of love from the shelter pups. Also there is hotel housekeeping, the pay isn't the best but the hours are generally good.
    Trying to juggle college and a job isn't an easy task but it can be done, I am planning on going back in Jan to finish my degree.
         
        10-10-2009, 08:13 PM
      #3
    Green Broke
    I wouldn't try and do a business yourself. You might get lucky but you have irregular money and people will not feel as comfortable with you as they would a real business.

    Look becoming a waitress, or a barista at a coffee shop. You can help out in kitchens cleaning dishes. You could look for a part time, or weekend, receptionist or admin position.

    The bottom line is good jobs require full time committment or education, and you don't have either of these at the moment.

    Working in a supermarket as a cashier isn't hard. I believe when people get confused over simple things such as counting money its just an attention issue. If you're capable of further studying you are capable of counting money. Just pay attention and make yourself do it. Its really not hard. Countback, so if it costs $28 and they give you 50, put the 50 in front of you. Get $2 and say to yourself "$28, $30 (when you add the two" then get two tens and say "$30, and $40 and $50" and check that it was that note they gave to you and then give them the change. I really think that in 90% of troubles its just a lazy, undisciplined brain.
         
        10-11-2009, 10:32 AM
      #4
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wallaby    
    So I totally need to find a job but I'm having the hardest time ever.
    Most of the jobs I see I'm not qualified for (ex. Needs a college degree, I'm in college now) or they involve being a cashier. I have no issue with being a cashier besides the fact that I'm absolutely horrible at counting money. At the camp I worked at I had a few opportunities to do cashier type stuff and every time there would be at least one person who gave me a large denomination bill and I'd give them a very small one back because I got my brain confused. People always told me and I'd apologize profusely and fix it but I don't think a real employer would be pleased.

    I've tried being a house sitter/pet sitter and people really like my skills at that and I have quite a few return customers but not enough to actually get ahead with.
    I've also tried housecleaning but each time I've done that (5 times) I haven't gotten called back after the 3rd-5th cleaning (I have no idea what goes wrong, I think I do a really good job for a good price but whatever).

    I'm really great with people, everybody always seems to like me. I just need something that's going to keep me interested and that's not a cashier job.

    Any ideas? Do you think advertising to run errands for people, like doing their grocery shopping for them or something, would get customers?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this! =)
    yea it seems with recetion its been a lot harder to get anything. Working in health care, my advice to you would be to your local hospital and see what they have on their job board. There are a lot of jobs out that require no specific education such as portering, house keeping, re-stocking, parking. If you can weasle your way in, sometimes you can get a a job working clerical work.
         
        10-11-2009, 10:32 AM
      #5
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saskia    
    The bottom line is good jobs require full time committment or education, and you don't have either of these at the moment.
    Unluckily I have to admit with that. Most of jobs require at least some kind of vocational training and/or experiement that is suitable just for that job. When I tried to apply to different vacancies during my gap year (I haven't training/experince) in the last year I noticed that most of vacancies that accept students/people without vocational training/experience are job at stores and cleaning jobs. Perhaps some assistant jobs + other 'general' jobs but almost every specialized job needs some kind of training or experience.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saskia    
    Working in a supermarket as a cashier isn't hard. I believe when people get confused over simple things such as counting money its just an attention issue. If you're capable of further studying you are capable of counting money. Just pay attention and make yourself do it. Its really not hard. Countback, so if it costs $28 and they give you 50, put the 50 in front of you. Get $2 and say to yourself "$28, $30 (when you add the two" then get two tens and say "$30, and $40 and $50" and check that it was that note they gave to you and then give them the change. I really think that in 90% of troubles its just a lazy, undisciplined brain.
    It depends bit on your working environment and a job that you're doing, but at least in supermarket where you 'beep bar codes' at a checkout computers take care of actual counting. You just need to beep all the products (the computer count the total) and know how much money the customer give to you. Give the amount of money to the computer and it counts and tells how much do you have to give back.

    Of course you need to know how to count if something goes wrong with the computer but you needn't to stay there counting all the time, watching how the line of agitated, busy people grow when you try to count :).

    I don't know your system. Do you have an employment office or something like that which would help you to try find a job there?
         
        10-11-2009, 01:02 PM
      #6
    Super Moderator
    Close2perfect- That's another one of the major issues I have with my town, most everything is volunteer. Even the library, which used to be the place a lot of kids worked as teenagers (including my mom) is completely volunteer with no ability to become paid down the road. I used to work at a dog kennel, walking dogs, feeding them, and cleaning kennels, but I had to quit to go to camp and then the recession hit so they couldn't take me back. That is the one area I have real honest on the job skills. I even got promoted to medicating the animals before I had to leave. I'll have to look into hospitals. =)

    Saskia- Thanks for the tip about going into business for myself, I hadn't thought of it that way. =) I agree that I could get better at money counting if I really worked at it, however, I would probably have to share that I needed practice with money in the interview and that would be my downfall. So many people are looking for jobs in Oregon right now that the smallest little thing will get you not hired because there is most definitely someone out there with the perfect skill set. =/

    M2G- I'll look into that! Is it a common thing for hospitals to have job boards? There's actually a hospital right by my school... O.o

    TaMMa- You are always so encouraging. Thanks!
    Knowing how much to give back is kinda the issue. I know what to give back in my head but when I go to find it my brain freezes and I forget what bill plus what bill makes that number. It's like test anxiety only not... I'm sure that with lots of practice it would go away but I don't think anyone would hire me for a job involving money counting right now, especially since there are so many overqualified people looking for jobs that people like me usually fill. >.<
    I don't know about an employment office... I don't think so... I know my parents are both part of a temp agency that helps them find jobs once their current ones run out, but I don't know about a place to go see a bunch of job listings...
         
        10-11-2009, 02:27 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    I know how you feel. I seem to have the worst luck at getting jobs. I used tyo work in the kennel at my vet's office but had to leave because my allergies got worse. Since then (almost 4 years ago) I've applied to many jobs (mostly retail positions) but have only gotten a few interviews. Usually I'd screw up the interview because I have a few anxiety dissorders that mostly center around being social, so I'd get really nervous and anxious and probably didn't come across too well. The most recent interview I had over the summer, I thought went really well but after going back for several more interviews (you had to interview with the manager and both the assistant managers) I never heard from them. I called them a couple of times like you're supposed to but they never got back to me.

    The internet is a great place to find job listings. There are a lot of sites that search jobs for you and you can have them just search for things that fit your skills (jobs for peolpe without degrees). There are also a couple of sites that people can post if they are looking for pet care or house cleaning or someone to go shopping for them. There are 2 sites that I know of that are for these types of jobs so maybe you could check those out if you still want to do that type of stuff?
         
        10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
      #8
    Super Moderator
    Yea.. And I'd add that you can also probe your local corporations, contact them and ask if they have something offer to you. I'm not sure what's your procedure there but at least over here you can also send so called open applications or letters in which you offer yourself to the corporations.
         
        10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
      #9
    Trained
    Not to be rude or anything, but how old are you?
    Your age will impact on what types of jobs you are eligible for.
    I came straight out of high school into a gap year, and was very lucky to get a job with my mum's work as a medical patient carer. From that I was promoted to a clerical position which has led me to another job in a hotel in a clerical position which required previous experience. Clerical positions aren't generally given out to school age people, and most employers are looking for someone who has experience already in clerical, because it takes so long to get used to the position- different computer systems, data entry, taking calls, organising the rest of the office etc.!

    If you are school age, I'd certainly look around for a supermarket or fast food position. It is a good start with not too bad wages and easier to get work because employers want young people there as they don't have to pay them as much as an adult ;)
         
        10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
      #10
    Super Moderator
    I'm 19. =) So I can legally do pretty much any job. Good question though.

    Amba- if you could tell me the names of those sites that'd be great. I'm more interested in pet care types of jobs since I've had more success with that and I have more experience in that area. And the shopping for other people sounds like something I could handle, I've never done that before but I'm great at finding deals and stuff. Thanks! =)
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Jobs Megs05 Horse Talk 1 12-03-2008 12:22 AM
    stable jobs Phantomcolt18 Barn Maintenance 2 11-22-2008 10:22 PM
    Jobs in Agriculture RockyMountainGal General Off Topic Discussion 6 08-15-2008 05:40 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0