a little overwhelmed.. need college help!
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

a little overwhelmed.. need college help!

This is a discussion on a little overwhelmed.. need college help! within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • "b.s. in biology"+"no jobs"

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
  #1
Started
a little overwhelmed.. need college help!

I am currently in my first semester at the local college pursuing my Associates Degree in Pre-Veterinary Medicine. I am trying to figure out what exactly to do after I finish my 2 years here. I am in Brunswick, Georgia, going to the College of Coastal Georgia (feel free to look it up if you want) and next I am looking into possibly getting my BS in Biology at one of the schools in Georgia that I could get it from.

I want to work with animals, possibly just large animals but I'm not positive what to do yet or what would be the best choice for me to do. Would obtaining a BS in Biology be the right path for me to take? I am planning on applying for vet school eventually--I have good grades (pretty much been straight-A, graduated high school with a 3.9), so I am not too worried about that aspect.

I just need some help as to what's the best route to take, school and degree-wise. The councelors at the college are not too much help and have not explained things the best to me, and they're always busy so I can't sit with them for hours to figure it all out!

If you read all that, thanks! I would really like some advice from anyone who has done this or knows of someone that has! Thanks :)

Alyssa
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
  #2
Green Broke
I'm in the same boat with you. I'm a junior in college in Macon studying Early Childhood Education..BUT..I think, as of today actually, that I'm going to change my major to Animal Sciences. It's SCARY. I'm close to graduating with my degree in education and the more and more I think about it the more I realize my heart isn't in it like I thought it was. I'm thinking about going back to school to be a Wildlife Biologist or an Equine Science major..I've looked around at some stuff and I'm still going back and forth..A really good school that I *might* look into is ABAC. It's a very good school and they have alot of great programs.. Sheesh. I'm still trying to convince myself it's a good idea!
     
    09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
  #3
Started
Haha, I have a friend that just graduated from Mercer and is now a Kindergarten teacher here! But I'm just not sure what exactly I should do.. There are so many options and I don't know what the best thing would be to do. It's all too complicated!!
     
    09-12-2011, 10:24 PM
  #4
Banned
Why are you wasting your time on an Associates Degree, if you're certain you want to go to vet school? You need to check out your vet school's entrance requirements. I don't know about all schools, but at least some do not require Bachelors Degrees, and if you have all of the required courses (and of course meet the admissions requirements), you can enter vet school after only two years of undergrad.

Otherwise, yes, a BS or BA is always a good idea, but it just may not be necessary....
     
    09-12-2011, 10:34 PM
  #5
Green Broke
I know! When I first started college I was soo confused and just insanely busy. My aunt came to me my freshman year and just told me. "look, I know you have this whole plan about who you are and what you want to be when you grow up but remember that life changes and you don't have to make any huge decisions now. College is only a blink of your life. Try all different classes and see where your heart is and then go from there." and now I wish I would have listened to her. I've worked my butt off for this degree that I now want to completely go back to the start...
     
    09-12-2011, 10:37 PM
  #6
Banned
Careful with some of those equine science and animal science programs. Look at post-graduation employment and salaries...
     
    09-12-2011, 10:38 PM
  #7
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
Why are you wasting your time on an Associates Degree, if you're certain you want to go to vet school? You need to check out your vet school's entrance requirements. I don't know about all schools, but at least some do not require Bachelors Degrees, and if you have all of the required courses (and of course meet the admissions requirements), you can enter vet school after only two years of undergrad.

Otherwise, yes, a BS or BA is always a good idea, but it just may not be necessary....
I am looking into the University of Georgia, and have emailed a few people there for help. There are certain classes needed, but not all of them are here. Could I go to a college 'in between' here and UGA to get the rest of the required classes before applying to UGA? I've never really had anyone explain what to me what I should or shouldn't do regarding degrees/schools.

If I were to get my BS/BA in Biology and for some reason didn't get into vet school right afterwards, would I be able to get a job with the degree and reapply for vet school at a later time? Thanks for replying and trying to help my confusion :)
     
    09-12-2011, 10:42 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
Careful with some of those equine science and animal science programs. Look at post-graduation employment and salaries...
What I'm worried about.. No jobs. The economy right now is making this much harder - worrying about money and figuring out exactly what degree will help me get a job.
     
    09-12-2011, 10:49 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp23    
I am looking into the University of Georgia, and have emailed a few people there for help. There are certain classes needed, but not all of them are here. Could I go to a college 'in between' here and UGA to get the rest of the required classes before applying to UGA? I've never really had anyone explain what to me what I should or shouldn't do regarding degrees/schools.

If I were to get my BS/BA in Biology and for some reason didn't get into vet school right afterwards, would I be able to get a job with the degree and reapply for vet school at a later time? Thanks for replying and trying to help my confusion :)
Keep in mind that I am in Missouri, going by Mizzou requirements--things may differ for you, so I strongly advise you to contact the pre-vet adviser at the college where you hope to apply. You should be able to find that info on their website.

Yes, you can go to a college "in between," but if you are really serious about that vet thing, the sooner you transfer, the better off you'll be. Go to a more prestigious college, skip the unnecessary classes and just take the ones that'll look good on your resume and/or are required.

Yes, you can reapply, and there's no rush to go into vet school. Just because most freshmen are 21-24...some are in their 40's!

There aren't a ton of jobs for Biology BA/BS people, but it's better than an Associates, and will look good no matter where you go, possibly meaning a higher wage at whatever job you do find. Research is a good venue.
     
    09-12-2011, 10:57 PM
  #10
Foal
Have you worked at all in a vet clinic yet? That's where I'd start before committing to a certain type of education. Even a part time weekend kennel assistance job would give you a good idea of what it's really like. Also the difference between a vet and a tech. For some people being a tech is a better fit.

No matter how much you know about horses/pets as an owner, it's really different from the other side.

If you've already done this, that's great and please ignore this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner horse owner a little overwhelmed coreyk67 Horse Riding 14 07-15-2011 08:01 PM
Overwhelmed with confusion please help! To ride the sky Dressage 10 06-26-2011 11:33 PM
Overwhelmed! *brain explodes* Nita Horse Shows 10 06-03-2008 12:23 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0