may never be able to ride again?
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

may never be able to ride again?

This is a discussion on may never be able to ride again? within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • I may never ride horses again.
  • Can you horseback ride with lapband?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-25-2011, 07:28 PM
  #1
Green Broke
may never be able to ride again?

For several years now I've delt with back pain, but was able to manage it with ciropractic work. I have a twisted spine and the tissues between the vertibre are thinner than they should be.

Laitly it's getting harder and harder to get out of bed. I'm 19 in 2 weeks and I feel so much pain some times It makes me throw up. It hurts to sit, lay down, stand up, there really isn't any way to get away from it. I can't affored to go to the ciro any more, and it would only last a few days any way.

That is only one of my meny health problems, I must come from bad breeding. I miss riding so much but I'm afraid of finding out how much pain it's going to cause me. The pain is one of the main resons I sold my horse in the first place. I don't even think I could ride a gaited horse because of what it would take to tack it up and get on.

I've been upset over this all day, more so then usual. I guess it's because I'm horse sitting for a neighbor, and one of the SOBs spun around and kicked me 2xs. Thankfully I stayed close knowing he was going to kick out again that it only brused my elbow (It was in the stall, when I tried to dodge the first one I ended up cornered. I had just walked in to put the feed bucket on the clip when he did it. I guess he is food agressive. I've been caring for him and the other horse for 5 days and so far he has kicked me and the other one bit me. Both times were out of no where, no body language or any thing.) I will never horse sit again for this lady her horses are spoiled to the point of putting me in danger, but I didnt know that when I took the job.

I know it's christmas and I should be happy, but I'm not. I know this is just a rant, but I just can't figure any thing out right now. I don't even know how I'm going to be able to handle a job with all this pain. Thankfully I'm home schooled so I don't have to sit at a desk all day.

Any way sorry for the rant, hope your day has been beter than mine
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-25-2011, 07:45 PM
  #2
Green Broke
Ignore the bad spelling my spell check is broke
     
    12-25-2011, 08:42 PM
  #3
Foal
What about riding a gaited horse? You can use mounting blocks to help you mount. There are synthetic saddles that are much lighter then others out there. I've never ridden one myself but I hear they are suppose to me smoother. There is also driving instead of riding.

I understand where you are coming from about the back pain, for me it can get so bad that I am in tears. Its uncomfortable to sleep, stand or even do my job sometimes. I am still managing. Although lately everything is aching ... back and joints of all sorts. If I get down on the floor with a dog, it's difficult getting back up. I haven't been in the saddle nearly as much as I want to.
     
    12-25-2011, 08:46 PM
  #4
Green Broke
My back is exactly the same as yours however it isn't that extreme. I was put into physical therapy for about 6 mo before we couldn't afford it but still the exercises I learned help keep the pain down a little. Maybe find a shorter gaited horse that is calm enough that you don't have to keep constantly working her and a nice light saddle? I'm in the process of considering finding a calmer horse because I'm afraid mine right now will cause me to have to stop barrel racing sooner . But I am very sorry that you are going through this.
     
    12-25-2011, 08:46 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetTech2011    
What about riding a gaited horse? You can use mounting blocks to help you mount. There are synthetic saddles that are much lighter then others out there. I've never ridden one myself but I hear they are suppose to me smoother. There is also driving instead of riding.

I understand where you are coming from about the back pain, for me it can get so bad that I am in tears. Its uncomfortable to sleep, stand or even do my job sometimes. I am still managing. Although lately everything is aching ... back and joints of all sorts. If I get down on the floor with a dog, it's difficult getting back up. I haven't been in the saddle nearly as much as I want to.
Problem is I would have to ride a really short horse just to get any saddle on the horse. I can't even pick up the neibors 10lb jack russell with out a stinging shock going through my spine. I've never ridden a gaited horse, I really want to but I don't know any one that has one that I can try. There isnt any places around here to ride one either. :(
     
    12-25-2011, 08:50 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Maybe just do bareback? On days where my back is really sore I usually just do some walking around bareback and it definitely helps my back because I use my core muscles which strengthen my lower back (where my back is messed up) Which is what I'm supposed to focus on.
     
    12-25-2011, 09:05 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorsesonador    
Problem is I would have to ride a really short horse just to get any saddle on the horse. I can't even pick up the neibors 10lb jack russell with out a stinging shock going through my spine. I've never ridden a gaited horse, I really want to but I don't know any one that has one that I can try. There isnt any places around here to ride one either. :(
You could either try a smaller horse, or try using an aid like a mounting block when putting the saddle on. It would need to be a real "been there done that" calm horse. It's just going to be finding one... Have you tried driving at all?

I wouldn't recommend the bareback. Yes, it can help you use your core but I have real bad back problems myself. At the age of 16 my physiotherapist said I have the back of an 80 year old. Stepping off the sidewalk the wrong way can result in me having sharp pains shooting through my lower back. I have a small horse and even with a mounting block its more difficult for me to mount bareback with my back problems and doing anything more then a walk ... makes me real sore. I loved bareback riding and miss it. For someone with back problems that bad it's not something I would recommend.
     
    12-25-2011, 09:09 PM
  #8
Green Broke
I just suggested bareback because it's helped me with my bad back which is pretty close to what she discribed hers as being(I'm missing cartiledge between my L4 and L5 I believe and my spin shifted funky because of it) but with less pain as mine was caught early and I was put straight into PT. English is also an option the PT was always telling me it would be better for my back but I prefer my western.
     
    12-25-2011, 09:16 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetTech2011    
You could either try a smaller horse, or try using an aid like a mounting block when putting the saddle on. It would need to be a real "been there done that" calm horse. It's just going to be finding one... Have you tried driving at all?

I wouldn't recommend the bareback. Yes, it can help you use your core but I have real bad back problems myself. At the age of 16 my physiotherapist said I have the back of an 80 year old. Stepping off the sidewalk the wrong way can result in me having sharp pains shooting through my lower back. I have a small horse and even with a mounting block its more difficult for me to mount bareback with my back problems and doing anything more then a walk ... makes me real sore. I loved bareback riding and miss it. For someone with back problems that bad it's not something I would recommend.

I havent tried driving in over 5 years. It was really bouncy. All my pain is in my upper back. Probably doesnt help that I'm very large chested, and over weight. I can't loose the weight to save my life! When I get the money I'm going to get a reduction and maybe a lap band. I've been eating healthy AND excersizing! >.< Fat hates me.I know my back would be beter if I wasn't hauling all this weight around.
     
    12-25-2011, 09:21 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Oh if it's upper back then I take back riding bareback that wouldn't help in the least haha. My friend is also bigger chested and has back problems as well she said the same thing you did haha she wants a reduction so bad and she's just barely 16.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever ride the Chief Joseph Appalousa ride? tinyliny Trail Riding 1 02-08-2011 09:07 AM
If you're gonna ride a young horse, then ride them. smrobs Horse Training 72 11-26-2010 11:00 PM
1st Night ride, 4th bareback ride, 8th ride total Britt Horse Training 5 11-21-2010 09:03 PM
They wanna ride... Iíll let them ride! Britt Horse Pictures 10 06-12-2010 09:20 PM
My brother's first trail ride :P (and ride) Zab Trail Riding 3 07-30-2009 02:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0