I am sharing this because someone might benefit from the information. I shared on here that my TB was put down before christmas due to Colic. After that my Shar-Pei bubba dug out and got tore up by *something*. I found him after searching the desert around my house on Christmas eve. Needless to say, there was nothing I could find that was open (vets). He was pretty bad off, so it was this or a bullet... (i was freaking out, i'd never seen anything this bad before). Anyway, my mom came over, with some sutures and we washed the cut out with beta-dine/water. He had a lot of grit and dirt way down in the cuts, we got out what we could, but had to sew him up with some left. I really didn't think he was going to make it. He just some of his stitches out today, and he is fine. We bought penicillin at the feed store, and treated him with that. He was seen by a vet, 3 days after and they installed a drainage tube... but other than that said we did a pretty stand up job. We also ran out of suture wire and finished up the job with dental floss.
Anyway, just wanted to show that no matter how dire the situation, sometimes some good old fashioned ingenuity can go a long ways. I am attaching pictures to show how bad it looked. If they are innapropriate, I apologize in advance. Take care and happy new year!