Well...I kind of always live in a "crunch" because I am one of the cheapest (I like to say frugal) people I know
1. Change all your light bulbs to flourescent...and if there is like one of those multiple bulb things...only use one socket. I have no idea why people need 6 bulbs over a mirror in the bathroom.
2. Plan every single meal. Cut down on the meat...up the vegetables. Get rid of sodas entirely. No frozen foods...no pre-prepared foods (ie hotpockets). We plan every single meal out at the beginning of the week. Take your lunch with you to work everyday. Look at "unit prices"...sometimes the smaller one is the better deal...sometimes the bulk item is the better deal. We only allow one snack per person...I get Oreos
3. We allow $80 "entertainment" budget monthly...that includes all fun activites...movies...eating out (includes fast food)...and horse lessons. This also includes new clothes.
4. Unplug all electronics that aren't being used...we keep our dvd player, playstation, etc. on surge protectors...and keep them switched off when not in use. Unplug the microwave when not in use.
5. With Christmas coming up...I don't buy holiday cards...they get thrown away the next week anyway. I also don't buy wrapping paper...I wrap in junk mail catalogs. Buy flourescent lights...they use 80% less energy then regular christmas lights.
That's only the tip of the iceberg...like I said I'm "frugal." Some people think Im kind of crazy...