The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion


This is a discussion on Panicking within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree2Likes

    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-25-2012, 09:43 PM

    I had no idea where to put this. So, today I went to the horse rescue for the first time. We fed them and cleaned the stalls. By lunch, I had allergies so bad I almost couldn't breathe. I've had VERY mild ones up in norco where horses outnumber people. And so I never thought about it. I'm panicking now. What if I'm allergic to hay? Or even worse - horses?! How can I be a horse person then??
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sponsored Links
        08-25-2012, 10:20 PM
    How clean are the facilities? You could be allergic to horses, but also could be the bedding, or hay, or alfalfa. OR it could just be that the air had too much ammonia from dirty stalls for your lungs- that's usually not a problem in the wide open.

    Most of us will allergies deal with it using daily doses of Claritin or other allergy meds. :) I am pretty allergic to alfalfa, so I avoid handling it at all, cleaning stalls of alfalfa-fed horses, and make sure to wear long sleeves and wash my hands after if I do need to deal with it.
        08-25-2012, 10:41 PM
    (Bashkir Curly Horses are hypoallergenic) <--- Incase it really is horses. There is a breed you can still enjoy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
        08-25-2012, 11:09 PM
    You should get an allergy test. Until you know specifically what you're allergic to, you won't know what your options are.

    Tangent: What is it about curly animals and hypoallergenic status? Aren't poodles or some other fluffy curly dog hypoallergenic too? Bashkir Curlies look like what you'd get crossing a poodle and a horse. Too cute!
    themacpack and Foxhunter like this.
        08-25-2012, 11:10 PM
    Green Broke
    I would go to an allergist and be tested. I am allergic to horses, dogs, cats, weeds, mildew, dust, and the list goes on and on. You know, all things you can find around a barn. Allergy shots and an occasional dose of antihistamine and I am good to go, even though I'm around all those things every day. Horses aren't something they test you for unless you mention it though, so make sure if you go in for testing, you have them check it specifically. It also could have been a local plant giving you problems. The goldenrod around here always gave me terrible reactions this time of year. I have asthma triggered by allergies so it's nothing to play around with if they get severe.
        08-25-2012, 11:14 PM
    I didnt get a rash, but my nose clOgge so bad I almost couldn't breathe and then my eyes were watering. I'm goin back tomorrow and I'll make sure I've taken pills before leaving. The pens are pretty clean, but very dusty! And there are mats on the ground so feces and urine gets stuck under it. Could that be it? And thanks ClaPorte! If it comes to that, at least I won't have to surrender completely!
    Also, my family has agreed to help pay for the shots you get once or twice a week for about a year to help get rid of allergies if it comes to that!
    Posted via Mobile Device
        08-26-2012, 01:22 AM
    Take an allergy pill before you head to the barn. Horse allergies are awful. Mine have gotten so bad I can't clean them up anymore without a face mask. Hay almost gives me hives and dust plagues me everywhere. No wonder I feel like crap right now.

    Good luck! Horse allergies are not fun but can be lived with.
    Posted via Mobile Device
        08-26-2012, 01:23 AM
    Wait what? Allergy eliminating shots? Where? How much are they?
    Posted via Mobile Device
        08-26-2012, 01:26 AM
    Just nose clog and watery eyes? Sounds like the dust and such getting to you. Mine bother me worse at barns that aren't well watered or when it's windy out. I used nose spray daily that worked wonders, you'll have to ask a dr about it though.

    ETA- actually I believe Flonase (nose spray) is available over the counter now....but still dr is always the best policy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
        08-26-2012, 02:53 AM
    I have horrible allergies to horses and all things to do with them. I break out in hives, itch like mad, eyes swell and water, and I can't breathe. I pop 1 store brand allergy pill and I'm great for 24 hours. Not one symptom shows up. Happy camper :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0