Possible move to France...
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Possible move to France...

This is a discussion on Possible move to France... within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    Possible move to France...

    It's way preliminary (his boss just mentioned whether or not we were interested along with 7 others)...but we may be moving to France for 6 months+ for my husbands job...some new training or something. If it's only 6 months I'd probably just leave my boys with my trainer. But if its a year or more I'd want to take them. Did a quick google search and can't find any import laws for France. Found plenty for bringing a horse here FROM France...but none saying what to do to go to France?

    Any ideas? Anybody on here from France? The town is Fougerolles.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
      #2
    Started
    My guess is that it would be cost prohibitive. I would bet that it would be thousands and thousands of dollars.
         
        05-18-2009, 09:48 PM
      #3
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joshie    
    My guess is that it would be cost prohibitive. I would bet that it would be thousands and thousands of dollars.
    Oh definitely...regardless...they're family and if we are going to be over there longer than a year they're coming. Besides the company is paying most if not all of our moving costs and all our rent/etc. while we are there.

    I was really hoping we might have a France native on the forum?
         
        05-22-2009, 08:45 PM
      #4
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotreddun    
    It's way preliminary (his boss just mentioned whether or not we were interested along with 7 others)...but we may be moving to France for 6 months+ for my husbands job...some new training or something. If it's only 6 months I'd probably just leave my boys with my trainer. But if its a year or more I'd want to take them. Did a quick google search and can't find any import laws for France. Found plenty for bringing a horse here FROM France...but none saying what to do to go to France?

    Any ideas? Anybody on here from France? The town is Fougerolles.
    Waw that is quite the move! Would be fun if you know it won't last and you can come back here. Parle tu Francais?

    Call your nationel vet association. They will give you all the info you need. There is going to be a lot of quarantine involved and blood work (quarantine you can do yourself if you have the facility). It was going to cost me about $10,000 for the flights from France to Canada (for a box of 2 horses).

    Call your local vet clinic, they will guide you from there and give you all the right information. Because of the expense and the risks of a failed blood test or other, I would honestly suggest leaving the horses here.

    Good Luck
         
        05-22-2009, 08:55 PM
      #5
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotreddun    
    Oh definitely...regardless...they're family and if we are going to be over there longer than a year they're coming. Besides the company is paying most if not all of our moving costs and all our rent/etc. while we are there.

    I was really hoping we might have a France native on the forum?

    I am French grew up in southern France until I was 12. What did you need help with?
         
        05-24-2009, 01:02 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My2Geldings    
    Waw that is quite the move! Would be fun if you know it won't last and you can come back here. Parle tu Francais?

    Call your nationel vet association. They will give you all the info you need. There is going to be a lot of quarantine involved and blood work (quarantine you can do yourself if you have the facility). It was going to cost me about $10,000 for the flights from France to Canada (for a box of 2 horses).

    Call your local vet clinic, they will guide you from there and give you all the right information. Because of the expense and the risks of a failed blood test or other, I would honestly suggest leaving the horses here.

    Good Luck
    THANKS! I really am hoping we can have the best of both worlds and just go for 6 months. That way I can leave my boys at my trainers and then go enjoy France sans furry family members. I would miss them terribly but it would be so FUN! And I would LOVE to take lessons there in France and get a different view on horse riding.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Hello OF FRANCE!! ARKO-III Meet the Community 10 09-30-2008 02:43 PM
    new from france green-lola Meet the Community 5 05-16-2008 02:01 PM
    Hello from France Nellou Meet the Community 4 10-29-2007 02:15 PM
    Hello from france babilonegirl(fr Meet the Community 5 05-04-2007 02:43 PM
    Robyn< from france! Robyn-Niagara Meet the Community 7 03-23-2007 07:42 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0