Proposed nasty changes to UK immigration laws - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Proposed nasty changes to UK immigration laws

This is a discussion on Proposed nasty changes to UK immigration laws within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree36Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
      #11
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexS    
    I moved to the US from the UK with my ex, when we split up I wanted to stay here, but it's extremely difficult - thankfully I met my husband and married. If I had not, I would have to prove that I have an exceptional skill to get a visa.

    That exceptional skill is almost impossible to be able to demonstrate as you have to show that you are unique and an American could not be hired over you. Well even if I were a brain surgeon, an American brain surgeon could do the same job. The only situation I think where you could prove this, is if you are some kind of artist, so your work is truly unique to you.

    I don't know how Microsoft gets around that. They hire SOOOO many Indians and Chinese software folks. And you mean these people have some unique skill that American born grads don't? Or that folks from the UK don't?I find that hard to believe. I dont' know how Microsoft does it, but they bring in thousands of foreign workers. The campus looks like "little Asia".

    Seattle area has a very large number of immigrants. You go to the larger malls here and you will almost NOT hear English. I kid you not.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-08-2012, 01:08 PM
      #12
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    I don't know how Microsoft gets around that. They hire SOOOO many Indians and Chinese software folks. And you mean these people have some unique skill that American born grads don't? Or that folks from the UK don't?I find that hard to believe. I dont' know how Microsoft does it, but they bring in thousands of foreign workers. The campus looks like "little Asia".
    tiny, again no. You do NOT have to be exceptional to get H1 visa if you have an education and job in your field (and employer (Microsoft in your example) sponsors a visa).
         
        07-09-2012, 07:13 AM
      #13
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunslinger    
    None of my business, but of what country are you a citizen, and why don't you want to return there?
    I'm from the US and there are quite a few reasons why I'd rather stay here. Some are ideological (the right wing yahoo politics in the US drives me nuts) and some are practical (my horse is here and I am not sending her back, as is my husband, and also, my research requires me to be here) and at the end of the day, I really like it in Britain.
         
        07-09-2012, 07:18 AM
      #14
    Yearling
    There was a good article in The Guardian today exploring the ironies of British expats who live in places like Spain, often in gated communities, who refuse to learn more than a phrase or two of Spanish, adopt Spanish customs, or eat Spanish food, but at the same time will happily rail against all the Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, and so forth who come to the UK and want to maintain their own customs.
         
        07-09-2012, 10:32 AM
      #15
    Trained
    0That was the number 1 reason why we eventually moved to Canada rather than Spain, I didn't want to be an English woman living in Spain.

    I'm proud to be a British Canadian, I hold 2 passports, (well I will when my Canadian one is issued) and I enjoy being a Canadian and joining in with they way of life.
         
        07-09-2012, 09:52 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesilverspear    
    I'm from the US and there are quite a few reasons why I'd rather stay here. Some are ideological (the right wing yahoo politics in the US drives me nuts) and some are practical (my horse is here and I am not sending her back, as is my husband, and also, my research requires me to be here) and at the end of the day, I really like it in Britain.
    Okay, except there is a liberal in the white house, and the Senate is held by the democrats......"(the right wing yahoo politics in the US drives me nuts)"

    Frankly, it's the left wing yahoo politics that drive me nuts....if it matters...

    I hope the brits let you stay.....
         
        07-09-2012, 10:42 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Yikes. I'm planning to (hopefully... these are year-in-advance plans so I dunno yet) study in Wales my senior year, so this isn't great news for me... I'd only be there for a semester which isn't a problem, but what if I fall in love with it (I already have, I just have to see if I like it in person xD) and want to move there after graduation... not going to be fun :-/ I understand why immigration laws have to be tough, but at the same time, people moving to the country boosts the economy so you'd *think* they'd want to encourage more people to do that.
         
        07-10-2012, 05:55 AM
      #18
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunslinger    
    Okay, except there is a liberal in the white house, and the Senate is held by the democrats......"(the right wing yahoo politics in the US drives me nuts)"

    Frankly, it's the left wing yahoo politics that drive me nuts....if it matters...

    I hope the brits let you stay.....
    There isn't any real left wing politics. That's the problem and it's precisely why I want to stay in Europe. Not only has "liberal" become a pejorative word, the whole tone of political debate in the US has gone so spectacularly right wing that Obama is now viewed by many as the figurehead of the radical left, which he's not at all. By almost any other standard (except in Iran, perhaps), he is firmly centrist. The US has not had a radical left of any substance or importance for at least the last three decades, if not longer.
    Allison Finch and AlexS like this.
         
        07-10-2012, 06:06 AM
      #19
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesilverspear    
    There isn't any real left wing politics. That's the problem and it's precisely why I want to stay in Europe. Not only has "liberal" become a pejorative word, the whole tone of political debate in the US has gone so spectacularly right wing that Obama is now viewed by many as the figurehead of the radical left, which he's not at all. By almost any other standard (except in Iran, perhaps), he is firmly centrist. The US has not had a radical left of any substance or importance for at least the last three decades, if not longer.
    Yep, you're so right silverspear. I am always baffled when people describe Obama as a socialist. Here in Australia he'd be considered centre-right and we don't have anything near socialism here.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        07-10-2012, 10:50 AM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EvilHorseOfDoom    
    Yep, you're so right silverspear. I am always baffled when people describe Obama as a socialist. Here in Australia he'd be considered centre-right and we don't have anything near socialism here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

    It seriously baffles me that anyone would consider Obama right winged.

    I don't agree that there are too many right wing extremists. The word "extremist" is overused. Just because someone has strong beliefs doesn't mean that they are extremists.

    Sure, there are strong beliefs, but they are on BOTH sides. I could label just about anyone an extremist if I felt like it. But extremist is not a word that should be used just because you feel like their cause is not worth pursuing. Liberals and conservatives both fight hard for what they believe in, and that is commendable.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Why the lack of action taken by Congress on illegal immigration? Cherie General Off Topic Discussion 23 06-23-2012 07:07 PM
    New *proposed* rules AQHSam Horse Talk 7 03-29-2012 03:45 PM
    CA Proposed Tax on Vet Services!!! suncolorsranch Horse Law 4 12-03-2008 01:53 PM
    About UK Study Visa and Immigration information required pomyrichard General Off Topic Discussion 2 11-28-2008 09:42 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0