Quiting My Job. What's The Best Way? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In my own little world;)
Posts: 1,511
• Horses: 2
Oh, i've had to leave a few jobs, LOL. I've also been a mgr where ppl have told me they r leaving. Ultimately the best, most prof way to leave is either a written letter or email stating you are giving your 2 wk notice effective x date. Your last day will be x date after your shift. Thank you for the opportunity for work for x company. DO NOT put any reasons, if asked keep it simple and on you, you're moving in a different path, you found something more fitting to your goals, etc.

Being a P/T job a written notice isn't necessary, a verbal is quite appropriate. 2 weeks is best, but many P/T positions will not wait for your 2 weeks to be up at your old job. If that's the case, just be up front w/ the current job & try to work w/ each. Most likely it'll end up being a 1 week notice.

A P/T "starter" job probably won't follow you for very long if at all. Most future employers see them as that, starters that as long as you showed up on time, and showed up for your shift, they're understanding of length of employment.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
busysmurf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 39 Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lamont, AB
Posts: 304
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque View Post
WOW it's one thing to quit with out a notice but to walk out and leave it unattended seems beyond reasonable and irresponsible.
Owe me $2000 in wages when I have tried for the past 8 weeks to get things sorted out I'm going to give you anything. So your telling me your owed $2000 (not two hundred but two thousand) you would be "oh ok, I don't need money"

I had already given then one letter from Employment Standard request my back pay and nothing got done. I also told them I can not afford to keep working for them if I don't get paid right. I found the reason WHY there is a very very high staff turn over rate.

Sorry if you can't afford to pay your staff then you have no business being in business.
BCtazzie is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lamont, AB
Posts: 304
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 View Post
^^^ LOL!

I agree, in the past I have had issues with bosses not paying on time, getting my paycheck a week late.

If they don't have to remind me to come to work everyday, I shouldn't have to remind them to get my paycheck!
I had one pay period here where my check was 11 day late, yep almost the next pay period. Sadly for them, I have the law on my side and copys of not only my time cards but the rate of pay stated at hiring. $250 short here, $140 short there, $100 now and then is not how you pay staff.
BCtazzie is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 04-01-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 1,166
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque View Post
I will say that most every job is stressful so your next one may be also. Many times when I wanted to quit a job I stuck it out and built a good work reputation. I personnaly would stay at least a year for your resume and then it is proper to give a 2 weeks notice and you don't need to say why or leave on bad terms.
I am aware that my future jobs will be stressful as well. Have you ever had a register brake during rush hour? It's been over two weeks and the register is still broken, that means we are short one register, we are short one other employee that could be working on it and still, no one has done anything about it. The fact that there is little to no communication between myself and my employers is a bit of a turn off for me. Instead of having a conversation, I come to work finding written notes in my cash tray. I've been told that I am not aloud to ask the other cashiers for help, mean while I can barely find help in the people I am supposed to ask. At this point in the game, I don't care if it's proper to wait a year before giving my notice, I want out.
AndreaSctlnd likes this.

Thank you for feeding us years of lies. Thank you for the wars you left us to fight. Thank you for the world you ruined overnight. But we'll be fine, yeah we'll be fine.
BornToRun is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 751
• Horses: 0
I'd report that manager to corporate ( their boss ) and let them know what is going on. This can be done anonymously as well. It might just change things around there. I'd give it a fighting chance because it is so hard to find jobs these days...

My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder He carries me away from all my fears And when the world threatens to fall asunder His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
redape49 is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,051
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToRun View Post
I am aware that my future jobs will be stressful as well. Have you ever had a register brake during rush hour? It's been over two weeks and the register is still broken, that means we are short one register, we are short one other employee that could be working on it and still, no one has done anything about it. Te fact that there is little to no communication between myself and my employers is a bit of a turn off for me. Instead of having a conversation, I come to work finding written notes in my cash tray. I've been told that I am not aloud to ask the other cashiers for help, mean while I can barely find help in the people I am supposed to ask. At this point in the game, I don't care if it's proper to wait a year before giving my notice, I want out.
welcome to the real world I work part time job and something is always broken like a dishwasher or oven.that's just life
And you have to deal with that you might as well get use to it now
Posted via Mobile Device
churumbeque is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,051
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCtazzie View Post
I had one pay period here where my check was 11 day late, yep almost the next pay period. Sadly for them, I have the law on my side and copys of not only my time cards but the rate of pay stated at hiring. $250 short here, $140 short there, $100 now and then is not how you pay staff.
isn't anything wrong with quitting I just don't like the way you did It ,
Posted via Mobile Device
churumbeque is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 04-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: kingsville, mo
Posts: 244
• Horses: 0
the best thing is to not burn bridges when it comes to jobs. Quit the right way with a two week notice and be respectful. You never know what will happen with your new job. With the economy now, a lot of companies hit points where they have to cut back on employees. And its usually the newest that go first.

So if you have been a good worker, and are desperate for a job if your next one falls through, usually they will be more likely to hire you back since they had good experiences with you in the past instead of taking a chance on someone they don't know. Also, like mentioned, references are huge for future jobs.

I worked at a body shop after high school. My supervisor was really hot headed. Im pretty laid back, but he would get me fired up sometimes. We would go at it about once a week or so, but we both had a lot of respect for each other because we were both very good at our jobs. When I moved on, I did it the right way. Every once in a while I run into some of them and they always say that if I ever need a job, that they'd love to have me back.

Same thing with a lawn/landscape company. I plow snow for them in the winter. The owner actually just took me out to a nice dinner last week trying to talk me into coming back full time running deliveries for them. Because of the way I have worked for people, and being up front, honest, and respectful about my work when I move on, if I ever need a new job, i'll be able to have a new one within a couple days
ls6firebird is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Some times Llanelian - North wales, sometimes Hull in East Yorkshire (UK)
Posts: 3,679
• Horses: 5
I agree with churumbeque, That doesnt sound all that stressfull to me.
I've worked in care homes for the mentaly ill. Having a geriatric old lady smashing windows with her walking stick, verbaly abusing the other residents, physically abusing the staff, One member of staff who's arm had been broken by said doddery old baggage and thus requiring an ambulance and a trip to A&E, sorting out her replacement (by law we must have a set number of qualified people in the building at all times, so before she could leave we had to get someone else in) all during lunch time, then having to sort out police, On call psych service, having her sectioned so we could restrain her, Calming all the other residents and then sorting out the 100+ pages of paperwork that are needed by the authorities because we had an incident all in a 2 hr window, now that is stressfull.

I've worked in shops before, I've waitressed in cafe's and silver service. Non of them are what I would concider a stressfull job.

People need to wake up and realise that the world does not owe them a living and that "stress" is a pathetic excuse.

BCtazzie, I too think it is highly irrisponsible of you. Over here no matter what your reasons leaving the place unattended would be Gross misconduct, instant dismissal and no need to pay etc It also looks very very bad on your CV and believe me business owners do talk to each other. Over in the UK it is illegal to give a bad reference and can only ever state facts, but if you give a reference of "I can confirm that X worked here from XX date to XX date and resigned without notice" not one will touch you again with a very very long bargepole, all within the law as it is all complete provable fact.

RIDE your horse FORWARDS and keep him STRAIGHT

faye is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
I agree with Joe. If you need to give a reason, then let them know that you feel uncomfortable working in that environment, that there seems to be a great lack of respect for employees and you feel it is important to find new employment.

Short and simple. It probably won't matter to her but maybe it will.

When you go for a new job and they ask why you left your last one, you can simply say uncomfortable working conditions - in a small town, they probably have already heard that about your old place.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome