Roommate chore chart - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > General Off Topic Discussion

Roommate chore chart

This is a discussion on Roommate chore chart within the General Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Reasonable chores for 2 roommates
  • Edit roommate chore chart

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
  #11
Trained
I find it odd that I can post a thread complaining about slobby roommates and tons of people suggest a chore chart or the like. But I can post a thread asking about a chore chart and everyone thinks I'm a dictator and playing the victim. Isn't that odd?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
  #12
Green Broke
Hey I understand where you are coming from. I can only speak for myself, but I feel most people are recomending that you don't use a chart because you will come off as a tyrant and a control freak.

I understand that you don't want to live in a pig sty, but you can't make people do something. You can recomend, suggest, even beg.

My sugestion is get older roomates
     
    12-28-2012, 10:24 AM
  #13
Trained
Ran out of time to edit. -_-

I know you can only go off what I say, but please try to give me the benefit of the doubt. If I don't do the three things I am talking about, it doesn't get done. It may be different with this new roommate, it may not, I don't know.

I am fully willing to take on the extra things to appease my clean freak nature [cleaning windows, dusting, wiping out the fridge, etc]. That doesn't make me feel taken advantage of. That is all me.

What makes me feel taken advantage of is the fact that it doesn't get done unless I do it. People assume I will clean it up, they will wait and let someone else do it, but rarely do it themselves. Expecting someone to pull out a vacuum is not asking too much. I use the term "chart" loosely, as my only goal is to make it even. I don't care how often. Sure, in my ideal world it would be three times a week, but if it was once a week, once a month, I don't care. At least it wouldn't just be me doing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
  #14
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton    
Hey I understand where you are coming from. I can only speak for myself, but I feel most people are recomending that you don't use a chart because you will come off as a tyrant and a control freak.

I understand that you don't want to live in a pig sty, but you can't make people do something. You can recomend, suggest, even beg.

My sugestion is get older roomates
Great suggestion in theory, but not necessarily in practice or applicable. First roommate was older and been on her own much longer. Second was older. The third and fourth were my age, fifth is 30 and so awful we kicked them out, now these two are younger. I have lived with men and women, of varying friendships, and just have horrid luck. And in any case, these are the roommates I have, if I want different ones I have to leave.

ETA: I am well aware I can't force anyone to do anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-28-2012, 11:07 AM
  #15
Green Broke
Maybe take a different approach than you have in the past? We know that the past ways of getting the chores done hasn't been working. Honestly I can't think of a way to keep everyone on top of chores if they're going to be totally unmotivated without being reminded, which is just going to make you come off as a nag.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-28-2012, 11:12 AM
  #16
Trained
My roomate wants everything clean, but doesnt want to do the work. I feel like im being ordered around and like she is my mom. I absolutely hate it. A chart will not work. I have found that if I want something done, the best thing to do is just do it myself.

If you are a clean freak, then you need to do the cleaning.

The best thing to do would be talk to them and come to an agreement about picking up your own stuff, etc. you can't put yourself in a position of nagging them, which a chore chart will do, besides making them feel like they are 6yo.
     
    12-28-2012, 11:13 AM
  #17
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian    
Maybe take a different approach than you have in the past? We know that the past ways of getting the chores done hasn't been working. Honestly I can't think of a way to keep everyone on top of chores if they're going to be totally unmotivated without being reminded, which is just going to make you come off as a nag.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's exactly what I'm trying to do now. A different approach. I've tried being passive aggressive and letting it get dirty [horrid dirty, not just dirty to me]. I've tried asking politely, "Hey, do you think you can vacuum this week?" I've tried, "I feel like I'm the only who does this." The roommate who I'm kicking out I just went outright witch with and took all the dishes away since they couldn't possibly clean them [the latest excuse was, "Yeah, the water stopped working days ago."]

That said, I'm not often rude unless you've been very very rude first. I've never had a tiff with either of the girls and don't ever plan to. We get along pretty well, I just think it would be nice to even out the chores, and I figure right now [bringing in a new roommate] is a good time to try. It will be even more difficult to try and work something out when she's already moved in and settled in her ways, know what I mean?
     
    12-28-2012, 11:16 AM
  #18
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl    
my roomate wants everything clean, but doesnt want to do the work. I feel like im being ordered around and like she is my mom. I absolutely hate it. A chart will not work. I have found that if I want something done, the best thing to do is just do it myself.

If you are a clean freak, then you need to do the cleaning.

The best thing to do would be talk to them and come to an agreement about picking up your own stuff, etc. you can't put yourself in a position of nagging them, which a chore chart will do, besides making them feel like they are 6yo.
Again though, that isn't fair. Why should I have to do ALL the cleaning when we ALL walk on the carpet? Why can't someone else pull out a vacuum every once in awhile? I refuse to believe that expecting them to do it ever is ridiculous.

Picking up after ourselves is already done, but most people don't see vacuuming as picking up after themselves.

As I said a million times, I am more than willing to do more, I'm just over doing it all.
     
    12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
  #19
Trained
Then you just have to find people who want to be as clean as you to live with. If they don't want to clean or don't want to clean often, you are probably not going to convince them.
     
    12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
  #20
Trained
It sounds totally reasonable to me. If I moved into a place and was told each week I only have to clean 1 thing I would probably give out a wa-hoo! Compared to a whole **** place on your own, that's pie.

I think that they'll get used to it. And if they don't then oh well. Part of moving out is learning how to clean up after yourself and make time for cleaning without mommy. Only having to vacuum or clean the bathroom or clean the kitchen once a week is, comparatively to real life, nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Least Favorite Chore when it's cold. charlicata Barn Maintenance 27 02-20-2010 11:32 AM
Most Hated Household Chore?? BaileeJJMommy General Off Topic Discussion 25 11-18-2009 08:38 PM
Chore Boy FGRanch General Off Topic Discussion 10 02-27-2008 11:16 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0